Agility Course Map - Where are the crosses (lead changes?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Agility Course Map - Where are the crosses (lead changes?)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

Rear cross at 6 which should push the dog to change from a left to a right lead.
Front cross at 11. Again changing handler position should push the dog from a right to a left lead.
Rear cross at 16.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

What's going on from 1 , 2, 3 ?????

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

You would have to do a front cross at 2.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 PM

I would start the dog on my right, with a lead out straight up send the dog to 2, tight Rear cross right before 6, pull to weaves, front or rear tight after 11/rear after 16.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

I would start with my dog on the right also. I looked at starting her on the left and a front cross on 2 but she's a novice so I think she would take 14 instead of 2.

Or she might decide to check the fence perimeter at top speed for any dangers so the next dog was safe and secure. She's done that before.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Crowned Member

I would:
  • Start with dog on left
  • Lead out pivot 1-2 (which means a front cross at 2)
  • Rear cross 6
  • Push on her line from 11-12
  • Rear cross 12
  • Push on her line from 16-17
  • Rear cross 17

[Edit]- Off topic, but MRL- were you in Ft.Wayne, IN!?

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 08-05-2011 at 11:49 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Crowned Member

Oh... I like Jax08's front cross at 11. My issue is I am never fast enough to beat my dog to a front cross. However, in this case, the 9-10-11 pinwheel might actually make that possible. That would be a risky move for me and Pimg at this stage of the game, but perhaps when we make it to ExA/B with more training, that might not be so risky.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

GREAT JOB SO FAR!!! More to consider below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Would anyone see an advantage in being on the left side of the dog as they go over 6 and then crossing as the dog lands to get to the weaves?

From 10,11,12, if the handler stayed on the right.... would that cue the off course jump (that has no number on it?). What handling moves would take the off course jump out of the picture entirely for the dog so while they were taking off for 11 they'd only be seeing 12?

THe line from tunnel, #16, 17, 18... if the handler's plan is to stay on the dogs left as they come out the tunnel and go to 16... as the dog gets ready to take 16, FROM THE HANDLER POSITION, would the dog be more likely to guess the course continues to the left with the off course #4/#11 jump? Is there something the handler can do (have done?) as the dog exits the tunnel that takes the off course 4/11 out of the picture?

Is it better to push (be in our dog's way to block) the path of the dog to show them the direction? Or is it better to be able to attempt a handler move to show them where to go.

How does actually walking a course differ from just looking at a course map?

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 08-06-2011 at 10:19 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

Ok- I'll play.

Quote:
Would anyone see an advantage in being on the left side of the dog as they go over 6 and then crossing as the dog lands to get to the weaves?
The only advantage I can see from not rear crossing 6 is that it pulls the dog further out from the weaves in order to help setup a better weave pole entrance. I see this as entirely unnecessary unless your dog struggles with on-side weaves.

Quote:
From 10,11,12, if the handler stayed on the right.... would that cue the off course jump (that has no number on it?). What handling moves would take the off course jump out of the picture entirely for the dog so while they were taking off for 11 they'd only be seeing 12?
Entirely depends on the dog. And the handler. If the handler just stands in the middle of 9-10-11 to do the pinwheel without hauling to get in front of 11- then yes, I think the off course is a strong likelihood. But it would be (as usual) entirely the handler's fault. The way I see it- as soon as the dog has committed to 10, the handler should be hustling over to the right wing on 11, indicating a slice. The handler needs to be pointing at 11 while shoulders are pointing at 12. It's just a slice at that point, and there shouldn't be a reason for the dog to want to take the off course. You might even support this with your off hand.

Quote:
THe line from tunnel, #16, 17, 18... if the handler's plan is to stay on the dogs left as they come out the tunnel and go to 16... as the dog gets ready to take 16, FROM THE HANDLER POSITION, would the dog be more likely to guess the course continues to the left with the off course #4/#11 jump? Is there something the handler can do (have done?) as the dog exits the tunnel that takes the off course 4/11 out of the picture?
Again- I think this entirely depends on the dog. If the dog is very velcro, then it may want to turn into the handler. But in actuality- this setup is not much different from 10-11-12. It's just a slice. In fact, there is a perfectly straight line out of the tunnel, over 16, and onto 17. If one has put in the practice on slicing jumps- there shouldn't be an issue. Now, if you aren't fast enough and your dog is way ahead, then sure- there could be issues here. That's all part of knowing your dog (and how well you keep up with them). For my dog, she doesn't particularly rocket out of tunnels. So in sending her to the tunnel, I'd be sprinting to that 16 jump to ensure that I am at her side when she makes it to the 16. I'd just paint the line to 17, and move forward with the rear cross.

Is there something the handler could do to take the 4/11 out- well sure. The handler could rear cross the tunnel entrance to put themselves on the right side of the dog. While an interesting thought- I posit that making the handler's line longer than the dog's line is a good way to have your dog end up way ahead of you. I'm not sure this is a great move unless you are crazy fast (or your dog is crazy slow). IMHO, of course.

Quote:
Is it better to push (be in our dog's way to block) the path of the dog to show them the direction? Or is it better to be able to attempt a handler move to show them where to go.
Totally dependent on the dog. Pimg responds to pushes way better than pulling.

Willy

Last edited by wildo; 08-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page