Frustration... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Frustration...

So Schatzi is about 5 months now, and Iím posting to address some frustration with her. She is normally in tune, ready to train. Iíve been trying to wean the food slowly while training and exchange for other rewards. Ex..ball, tug, etc. she had been doing great. We took yesterday off. No training at all. Iíve been busy, work 12 hours every day just about and usually train her when I get off (before any comments, no, she is not kenneled for 12 hours, usually only about 4-6 until my girlfriend is off). Today we met with our trainer/breeder, very reputable with gsd in area. She did not want to work obedience. Her focus was in everything but me, which is new and weird. Usually the hot dogs and cheese cubes are all she needs to know That Iím #1. Not today..she couldnít care less. So, we did some pillow work and tracking. Then I went home. She did her normal thing. Was out for a little. I then kenneled her about an hour before we train, which I always do. No prob. I took her out back, which is where we train and it was the same sort of thing. As if she was saying forget obedience, not today. I donít want to do it. Specifically with the plots
Command. By this point I was frustrated. I do not understand why she can sitz without a lure but refuses to plotz. There is no way she has not made the correlation by now, at least thatís what was in my head. Today, she wouldnít even go down with the lure. I began forcing her into a plotz with her collar. Correct...prob not..but at this point in I was very annoyed. 2 weeks ago, we were working on a foos, now she cannot even down. Much less foos. Itís
Like a joke at this point. Is it time to change ďtraining treatsĒ, is she rebelling? Time to go back to 2 sessions a day and get up at 4am again? Whatís the deal with her at this point? High value treat recommendations? Any help is greatly appreciated. Itís like sheís regressing and for the life of me, I cannot understand why. I look forward to training her every day when I get home, and she used to love it too. However, i feel Iím beginning not to. Not seeing results after hard work is frustrating.

Thanks for the responses and allowing me the opportunity to vent ahead of time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Did not mean to post this in aggression, sorry

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Crowned Member

You are saying this is a 5 month old pup correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
You are saying this is a 5 month old pup correct?

Yes, yes. I know. Expecting too much

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:26 PM
Crowned Member

Don't be too frustrated, she's a puppy still! I'm not saying a puppy that age can't mind well, but they do get distracted easily! Think in terms of motivation. She willingly worked for treats, so go back to treats! Two things you don't want to do is (a) set her up to fail by giving her too many distraction too quickly, and (b) ever issue a command when you can see that she's unlikely to comply or you don't have the ability to enforce the command.

My pup, at about that same age, started blowing off recall. She'd been perfect on and off leash up to that point. But at 5 months she started looking right at me and deciding she wanted to do something else more. I put a stop to that using a drag line. The idea is that you wait until they are playing or otherwise distracted and call her. Once in a normal tone, then again if she doesn't do it right away in a more forceful tone. Give her just a few seconds to comply, if she doesn't you walk over calmly and without a word drag her to where you were when you called her and throw a party, lavishly praising, then release her and do it again in a few minutes.

My dog hated baths, and so didn't want to come near the bathroom where she'd just gotten a bath. But she heard a noise and I said let's go see. She started up, realized we were headed toward that nasty tub LOL, so she turned around. I called her and she didn't come, so I did as I described above right to a spot near the bathroom door. She was visibly relieved when we didn't go in the bathroom. Anyway, 5 minutes later I called her again, and she wouldn't come, same location. Drug her up there again, threw a party, then together we investigated all the bedrooms for the source of the noise. She thought that was great fun, and it worked! She's never blown a recall since...except for rabbits, rabbits continue to challenge her ability to control herself, we're still working on it!

But back on your issue, it sounds to me like you'll likely get back on track by stepping back a little with treats and few distractions. Hope that helps!
Sabis mom and GSDmix like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 10-20-2019 at 11:31 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscullin View Post
Did not mean to post this in aggression, sorry
Well, it is sort of passive aggressive LOL!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 PM
Crowned Member

She's hopeless. Send her to me. I'll take care of her.
misfits and tim_s_adams like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

You have over-worked this baby to the point that she doesn't want to work for you. You are forcing her into a down, and yes, you are expecting way to much for her age. Heels and downs and stays and sits -- you can start this crap now, sure. One day a week, for 30-40 minutes tops. spend the rest of the time playing with her, making games with her, praising her.

If you are frustrated with a baby, you are over the top. You need to stop and let her regroup. A couple of weeks at least. The offer stands. I will take the baby off your hands if you want.
MineAreWorkingline and GSDmix like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
You have over-worked this baby to the point that she doesn't want to work for you. You are forcing her into a down, and yes, you are expecting way to much for her age. Heels and downs and stays and sits -- you can start this crap now, sure. One day a week, for 30-40 minutes tops. spend the rest of the time playing with her, making games with her, praising her.

If you are frustrated with a baby, you are over the top. You need to stop and let her regroup. A couple of weeks at least. The offer stands. I will take the baby off your hands if you want.

Youíre out of line. I never work my dog for 30-40mins at a time for 5 months. Find another thread to troll please. You do what you want with your dog, no you can not have mine. Go buy a puppy if you want one. My training sessions are 10-15mins tops.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscullin View Post
Youíre out of line. I never work my dog for 30-40mins at a time for 5 months. Find another thread to troll please. You do what you want with your dog, no you can not have mine. Go buy a puppy if you want one. My training sessions are 10-15mins tops.

Talk about trolling. You are talking about being frustrated because your five month old puppy is not perfect on its stays and downs and sits and heels and so frustrated that you are forcing her into downs.

Every one knows that you don't train when you are frustrated!

You can ruin that bitch. She's a puppy. Take care.

Talking about getting up at 4am to do more training, when she either had an off day or she is overwhelmed by what you are doing. If you don't back up and adjust you will ruin her.

I have plenty of dogs. I don't need another. But I'd take this one in a heartbeat because the way you describe it, you are hurting her.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page