Well, she bit me. - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. My Shelby is high content GSD. Got her as an 8 week old shelter pup. Shelby is a special cupcake. She likes her safe places, which are - her house, her yard, and her car. Shelby does not like to go for walks. She barks at people, constantly looks over her shoulder, and rushes to get back home. Fortunately, she is fearful, but not fear aggressive.

Shelby is 5 years old now. You have not had your dog very long. You do not know each other very well. Really up the obedience. Not only will you tire your dog mentally, you will help to build the bond. Teach your dog to look to you. Seriously, I worked on having Shelby make eye contact with me. Use hand signs more and talk less. Stay home with your dog. I'm not sure being out and about on narrow trails, especially while she is recovering from surgery is the best idea.

If/when you must walk, her attention should be on you. Avoid other people/dogs, as much as possible. Cross the street, walk the other way, whatever it takes. Do you have any yard at all? Shelby gets exercised in my yard. You don't even need that much space. Shelby loves her flirt pole. She also has an extra large solid ball. I throw the ball up the hill. Shelby runs up the hill, soccer rolls the ball with her paws and chases it down the hill. In both cases, her tongues is hanging out, when we stop playing. You won't get that on a walk. The third thing is the pulley system. My son made it for his own exercise - pulley, rope, bucket of sand. It soon became Shelby's toy. She treated it like a tug, but always pulled the bucket to the top. A tired dog is a good dog.

I cannot emphasize the bonding enough. You need to learn and respect your girls' thresholds. She needs to learn to trust you and know that you have her back. She may never be a go everywhere kind of dog. You might have to change your expectations.

Not sure if this link with work. I'll give it a try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjSd...uDflkLsdCwM9Zk
Ingenious set up !
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai555 View Post
Minor setback this morning....was doing just fine, had her on the leash in the park on a cold Saturday morning when nobody was out, but right on our home stretch a guy came through with his GSD off leash. I stepped as far off the trail as I could and put Willow in a sit, but.... it was a friendly enough GSD, but it was really hard to get Willow to sit and pay attention to me when the other dog was all up in her space wanting to check her out. And then of course the owner walked past, I had time to tell him Willow was probably going to bark at him, and of course, she did. I had the prong collar on her so it wasn't as bad a reaction as usual, but it still happened and it still discouraged me. But then I got over it and we went on our way.

Hoping the trainer will tell me what I should do in those situations....continue walking with the prong? Correct her? I dunno. Can't wait to find out!
Yes, I remember that feeling..."Oh (insert curse word here)!" when we came up the trail and another dog/owner were walking towards us. If it is a typical onleash duo, what helped my dog was his commands which boiled down to a Look At Me and a Heel. If they are glancing at you occasionally and heeling, that takes care of the intense focus/stare and the lunging. So you are saying, "I don't want you to stare at that other dog and lunge at him/her, what I want you do is stay by me , and pay attention to what I'm telling you to do!"

For offleash dogs...well, 99% of those are not under the control of their owner. Usually a meeting is just inevitable, they will run to your dog even with their owner hollering their name. In that case, I give my dog a loose leash. They will sniff faces, then pull up alongside and maybe sniff private parts, and then I will urge my dog to walk on. Usually the other dog will then run back to its owner. The offleash dogs on trails around here tend not to be tense or hostile (maybe because they're offleash and they can run away if they don't like your dog).

We've been attacked by offleash dogs in our own neighborhood. I carry citronella spray, but my dog is faster - he meets them head on with bared teeth and fends them off. He is bigger than most other dogs and has his thick neck ruff, so hasn't been hurt yet.
Sabis mom likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #103 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
Yes, I remember that feeling..."Oh (insert curse word here)!" when we came up the trail and another dog/owner were walking towards us. If it is a typical onleash duo, what helped my dog was his commands which boiled down to a Look At Me and a Heel. If they are glancing at you occasionally and heeling, that takes care of the intense focus/stare and the lunging. So you are saying, "I don't want you to stare at that other dog and lunge at him/her, what I want you do is stay by me , and pay attention to what I'm telling you to do!"

For offleash dogs...well, 99% of those are not under the control of their owner. Usually a meeting is just inevitable, they will run to your dog even with their owner hollering their name. In that case, I give my dog a loose leash. They will sniff faces, then pull up alongside and maybe sniff private parts, and then I will urge my dog to walk on. Usually the other dog will then run back to its owner. The offleash dogs on trails around here tend not to be tense or hostile (maybe because they're offleash and they can run away if they don't like your dog).

We've been attacked by offleash dogs in our own neighborhood. I carry citronella spray, but my dog is faster - he meets them head on with bared teeth and fends them off. He is bigger than most other dogs and has his thick neck ruff, so hasn't been hurt yet.
Yeah I usually will let Willow sniff and greet the other dogs since she's not dog aggressive---she may bark at dogs, but she plays well with them and has never been aggressive with them as far as I know. But what always happens is she'll greet the other dog, get all excited, then the human will show up and the dog will run off with him, and she barks at the human. I guess what I need to do is just start walking her away after she greets the dog so she can't react to the human, but she almost never gives a warning (goes from friendly greeting dog to barking at the human) so it's hard for me to time it right....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:02 PM

This makes me mad sorry, but people get GSD's and the first thing that goes wrong they want to get rid of them, you want a GSD then spend the money to get them trained if your not capable of training them your self. Even after training you still have to work to reinforce what they learned. And walking that close to other dogs with a GSD with known fear aggersion and letting them off leash is asking for trouble or a law suit.

I had the same problem except never got bit, i sent mine to school she was gone 3 weeks and now totally minds, no shock collars or anything like that, we go to weekly group classes now with other dogs and she does great, it was money well spent and i have a great GSD that goes every where with me.

Just my 2 cents
selzer likes this.

Last edited by bwingler; 10-21-2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #105 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Never allow her to sniff and "greet" another dog when either one is leashed. It just causes trouble as you know now. Step in front of her and tell that other dog to "go home" and also do not start a "greeting" with your dog.
post #106 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwingler View Post
This makes me mad sorry, but people get GSD's and the first thing that goes wrong they want to get rid of them, you want a GSD then spend the money to get them trained if your not capable of training them your self. Even after training you still have to work to reinforce what they learned. And walking that close to other dogs with a GSD with known fear aggersion and letting them off leash is asking for trouble or a law suit.

I had the same problem except never got bit, i sent mine to school she was gone 3 weeks and now totally minds, no shock collars or anything like that, we go to weekly group classes now with other dogs and she does great, it was money well spent and i have a great GSD that goes every where with me.

Just my 2 cents
Well geesh, I guess I should never ever let myself be lied to by someone I'm RESCUING a GSD from. I would not have adopted her if the previous owner had been honest with me about the amount of work she needed. She is an adult, seemed pretty well trained and completely fine when I met her and did not show aggression until I'd had her for several weeks.

And did you even read my last post? An unleashed dog came up to US, while my dog was on leash. The only places I let her off leash are places where I'm 100% sure there is nobody else around (currently a new park that is being worked on, that nobody knows about yet, and there's about an acre with great visibility where I can let her run around safely).

I have not gotten rid of her, by the way. Yes I am keeping that option open if things don't improve after several months of training, because I know with my lifestyle I can't give her what she needs if what she and I need is TONS of work. (and I see she AND I, because yeah, I know my behavior is probably part of the problem and I'm going to try my damnedest.) She's already better and I'm feeling more and more hopeful that she'll stay with me. And of course I try to keep her separated from dogs on leash now--again with the not realizing she would react like this on walks because her previous owner said she was fine.

We can't all have partners to help us with our dogs, or lots of money, or lots of free time. I made a choice based on what I was told and I am doing my best here.
wolfy dog likes this.

Last edited by banzai555; 10-22-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #107 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:59 PM

Most people can't afford what a reputable board and train costs- it's at least $3,000 for a good one for a dog with issues.

OP- you are doing really well, from what I've read, and you are working with a good trainer. Keep at it, I think you'll be very happy with the end result. Maybe she won't be a dog you just let be on a hike, maybe you call her in to you when you see someone and keep her close until they are passed. Big deal.

You'll be fine- nobody comes into dogs knowing it all- I'll be the first to admit I didn't, and still don't! As long as you are open to learning and keep at it, and keep everyone safe in the meantime, you're doing fine.
post #108 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Yeah I usually will let Willow sniff and greet the other dogs since she's not dog aggressive---she may bark at dogs, but she plays well with them and has never been aggressive with them as far as I know. But what always happens is she'll greet the other dog, get all excited, then the human will show up and the dog will run off with him, and she barks at the human. I guess what I need to do is just start walking her away after she greets the dog so she can't react to the human, but she almost never gives a warning (goes from friendly greeting dog to barking at the human) so it's hard for me to time it right....
Why?
She doesn’t need to sniff and greet strange dogs and get all excited.
She may not be dog aggressive, but you don’t know if the strange dogs she meets are. If some random dog attacks her, what then?
Your goal when out and about is to have a polite, calm GSD that focuses on you and ignores distractions.
IllinoisNative and dogfaeries like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #109 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
Most people can't afford what a reputable board and train costs- it's at least $3,000 for a good one for a dog with issues.
I was quoted $1800 for three weeks at Ivan Balabanovís training center. Granted, this was about a year ago. And this doesnít take into consideration the cost to get your dog there. Iím lucky Iím only a few hours away.

But your point is taken. Even $1800 is a lot to some people. It can be a struggle to get good training.
post #110 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Well geesh, I guess I should never ever let myself be lied to by someone I'm RESCUING a GSD from. I would not have adopted her if the previous owner had been honest with me about the amount of work she needed. She is an adult, seemed pretty well trained and completely fine when I met her and did not show aggression until I'd had her for several weeks.

And did you even read my last post? An unleashed dog came up to US, while my dog was on leash. The only places I let her off leash are places where I'm 100% sure there is nobody else around (currently a new park that is being worked on, that nobody knows about yet, and there's about an acre with great visibility where I can let her run around safely).

I have not gotten rid of her, by the way. Yes I am keeping that option open if things don't improve after several months of training, because I know with my lifestyle I can't give her what she needs if what she and I need is TONS of work. (and I see she AND I, because yeah, I know my behavior is probably part of the problem and I'm going to try my damnedest.) She's already better and I'm feeling more and more hopeful that she'll stay with me. And of course I try to keep her separated from dogs on leash now--again with the not realizing she would react like this on walks because her previous owner said she was fine.

We can't all have partners to help us with our dogs, or lots of money, or lots of free time. I made a choice based on what I was told and I am doing my best here.
Oh the adopt-don't-shop stuff kind of burns me up because they don't tell you the rest of the story. Yes, you can get a great pet that has been given up by someone else, and these dogs do need homes. But a lot come with baggage, baggage that doesn't show itself right away. They are shocked to be in the shelter, and then shocked again when moved with you, and it isn't until they start to relax and get comfortable, that the behaviors that got them chucked in the first place start showing up. And yeah, that can be several weeks.

But the good news is, you have a dog with some quirks, and you are willing to work on those, or MANAGE THEM. You have choices. You need them manage them from the get go, but you can also work on them as you go forward, or just get really good at managing until it is second nature.

I agree that you don't need to and shouldn't allow this dog to sniff another dog. I know this ran up off-lead, and you are going to have to protect your dog from off-lead dogs. If that means carrying an air horn and spraying it toward them to stop them in their tracks. do it. If it means shouting at the owner to GET CHER DOG!!! do that. You have permission to be rude, as rude as they are being and maybe more. Because you are protecting their dog too. So if some one comes up with their totally out of control dog dragging the to yours, while the owner laughs and smiles indulgently and says, "Is he friendly?" Say "No." and move away. Don't wait around to apologize or explain (unless your dog connects with a person). If your dog reacts -- barks at, snarls, puts hair up, take it as you didn't adjust early enough and move in the same direction you were going, quickly with a slight correction or eh-eh and get your dog out of there. Don't worry about nasty looks from people. You are trying to get your dog over this, and the best way is not to let her languish in a bad place, or let her develop ways to get herself out of the situation -- that is your job. She will develop ways you do not like. So, don't worry about being rude, and don't let her behavior turn you around, but do get her out of the situation as quickly as possible, and try to avoid similar situations before she reacts to them.

Hope that helps.
RubyTuesday likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page