Urgent life and death situation! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM

The OP hasn't been back...

If you are reading this, where are you located?
cvamoca likes this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
This saddens me because what I read is highly inappropriate handling by what is likely novice handlers - and while the humans involved have been injured, the dog will pay the ultimate price.
I agree that the humans involved might do better with a different kind of critter, maybe a different breed, and that with some training (the family needs training, and to understand dogs a little better, even lap dogs).

But, here's the thing, just because you are inexperienced or inappropriate does not mean that your dog is automatically perfect in temperament and just responding to bad handling/bad leadership. I think in general the folks with the least experience, least understanding, often end up with dogs with less than stellar temperament.

Even then, a bite may occur, or the mailman gets knocked down and threatens to sue, or the dog starts growling at kids, or old men with ball caps, or people of color. Usually a dog does not have multiple sustained attacks on family members. Usually.

I think one of the relatively few GSDs with a severe temperament issue got paired with a family that with an ordinary dog might have had a few minor incidents.

Of course, some folks experience the minor incidents and find a trainer, look to the internet, consult their vet, change their leadership style, go to training, or find the dog a new home, and those dogs may turn a corner, where if they were allowed to get away with BS for six years, may be a whole lot worse.

What I don't get is that folks wait until we-need-the-dog-gone-today, before they start making inquiries. I wonder if some just need the "permission" to euthanize, and once folks agree with that, they don't come back. Others might want someone to fix their problem by offering to take the dog.

It is sad. But while we might chastise this poster, it won't change the fact that so many others do the exact same thing.

I don't think this dog is one that just got into some bad habits, and good handling will fix him. However it happened he is a dangerous dog. The right kind of person might let him live out his life with them. But he isn't going to be a great companion dog, or a good family dog. Police and Military dogs NEED to be super-stable, they are not a dumping ground for dogs who are between questionable and not-right.

So what is the answer? Someone with a ton of dog experience, like someone who competes in shutzhund, upper level obedience, herding, or works with their dogs in some form of guard dog, protection, service. Only this dog won't go to shows, or work at guarding, or herding or whatever. It will be a drag on his other dogs, a liability, and a disruption to his current set up. While there are a few people out there that want a project-dog, really, most people with the level of experience aren't looking for a dog that is going to be a serious challenge.

Temperament is genetic, and is what it is. With excellent handling from the onset this dog might be a little different. But even some of the best handlers end up with a dog that they cannot figure out.
Sabis mom likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

[removed]

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier

Last edited by WIBackpacker; 09-23-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 PM

Let's not discuss APBTs or bully/fighting breeds.It's against forum rules because it always always starts a war of passionate responses and mudslinging.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:31 PM

Ya beat me to it 🙂

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Master Member

[removed]

To the OP, I wish you best of luck with your situation, as neither options are easy. We are here for you.

Last edited by WIBackpacker; 09-23-2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Next person who posts about pitbulls is getting one week time out. - ADMIN
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you. I saw your post and edited mine to reflect it.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

A rehabilitated biter will still be dangerous in the wrong hands (the general pet owners). Dogs don't forget that biting works well for them. It is a powerful learning experience for a dog. Example; in the training facility where I was trained there was a Rottweiler who had bitten people. They "rehabbed" him through reward and desensitization to the level that he could be among people and did well until.....the vet triggered a button and he bit the vet's face. End of story for the dog. I never, ever trust a biter again.
CometDog likes this.
post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
A rehabilitated biter will still be dangerous in the wrong hands (the general pet owners). Dogs don't forget that biting works well for them. It is a powerful learning experience for a dog. Example; in the training facility where I was trained there was a Rottweiler who had bitten people. They "rehabbed" him through reward and desensitization to the level that he could be among people and did well until.....the vet triggered a button and he bit the vet's face. End of story for the dog. I never, ever trust a biter again.
100% agree. I went through a long process of making sure the person I was rehoming previous bite dog to had the necessary experience, safely enclosed yard, no possible way to dig out, and had my attorney draw up a contract releasing me from all liability for any future bites. It contained a page I could edit to list all prior history, what was done while they were in my care, and that there was no guarantee that a future bite wouldn’t happen.

But we all know me, I stress over everything, so Lyka was my last, and I obviously kept her. It just became too much. Too much worry, too much doubt about whether I was doing the right thing, worry that a child would end up in the home after being placed, and the possibilities of what that could do. I’m not saying every dog doesn’t deserve a second chance, I just don’t feel like I’m a good second chance person anymore. Something starts dying inside after awhile, I don’t know how rescues do it full time, the lack of humanity people handled these dogs with just broke me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page