My German Shepherd/Alaskan Malamute attack - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

My German Shepherd/Alaskan Malamute attack

I have an issue with my 6 years old male, German Shepherd-Alaskan Malamute mix, he has anger issues with strangers but this time he went too far.

Last week he attacked my mother when she went to pet him, she was bitten on both of her arms.

Prior to the attack my mother was around him for a few hours and everything was ok. I later took him for a walk and when we came back he laid down on his side to rest, my mother went up to him to pet him and as she was walking up the dog was wagging his tail and then stopped. He then kind of turned on his back to pet his stomach and she did and later she pet him on the head and that's when he snapped and attacked her. I was not in the same room when it happened but watched on my surveillance camera.

She knows the dog since he was a puppy and sees him once a week. He was always friendly with her and let her pet him.

2 weeks before this happened he had to be neutered. One day I noticed he was bleeding from his private parts so I took him to the vet to get him checked out. He had an xray and blood work done and I was told he had an uti and his prostate was enlarged 3 times the normal size.

After the attack, my dog's Vet told me I have to euthanize the dog.

Can this dog be trained and trusted again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

Was he on medication still when he attacked, that can cause behavior issues. Actually, having just been neutered his body is adjusting to a change in his hormone levels. I think, I don't know, but maybe you could wait until he is off of any medication and has a couple of months to adjust to the change in his hormone levels.

And then put him through boot-camp. What I mean about boot camp, is get a trainer, take him classes, work with him daily, obedience commands, and make sure he is securely crated when you cannot supervise. It is up to your mom if she wants to try again to be around him. It is very possible that this incident was caused by the changes in his anatomy and with meds.

If you put the dog down, that is very sad. Understandable, but sad nonetheless. I am sorry you are going through this.
Kyrielle likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShepherdNYC View Post
I have an issue with my 6 years old male, German Shepherd-Alaskan Malamute mix, he has anger issues with strangers but this time he went too far.

Last week he attacked my mother when she went to pet him, she was bitten on both of her arms.

Prior to the attack my mother was around him for a few hours and everything was ok. I later took him for a walk and when we came back he laid down on his side to rest, my mother went up to him to pet him and as she was walking up the dog was wagging his tail and then stopped. He then kind of turned on his back to pet his stomach and she did and later she pet him on the head and that's when he snapped and attacked her. I was not in the same room when it happened but watched on my surveillance camera.

She knows the dog since he was a puppy and sees him once a week. He was always friendly with her and let her pet him.

2 weeks before this happened he had to be neutered. One day I noticed he was bleeding from his private parts so I took him to the vet to get him checked out. He had an xray and blood work done and I was told he had an uti and his prostate was enlarged 3 times the normal size.

After the attack, my dog's Vet told me I have to euthanize the dog.

Can this dog be trained and trusted again?

How vicious was the attack? If any of my dogs ever viciously attack any of our family members, most likely that dog is going to be put down. So far it didn't happen with any of my dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

The dog could of been in pain and sick. Going for a walk - not sure how long the walk was but it could of aggravated things especially if he was having issues healing. Some dogs are naturally more defensive when they are not feeling themselves and easily set off in that situation and to crate when he is feeling sick medication could be have something to do with this also. Should that warrant an attacking of a family memeber - it is extreme he how deep are the bites. It’s is good to have a recommended trainer evaluate your dog once he has healed. Putting a dog to sleep is a not to be considered lightly and sounds to soon and a bit impulsive to do this in this case. Your vet sounds a bit impulsive also. I would look for another vet also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Yes, he was on a 10-day (2 pills per day) antibiotic for his UTI. I really don't want to put him and want to get him help.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

While he was laying down on his side she was looming over him, petting him for 20 seconds and as soon as she touched his head, he got up on his back legs and attacked both of her arms, breaking skin and bruising them. It happened on the back porch outside and lasted 8 seconds, after I ran out and pushed him away he was fine and acted like nothing happened. It was all caught on the surveillance camera. Earlier in the day when she came over a few of my family members, my mom and I were sitting outside with him and he was very friendly with everyone.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Prior to the walk he was running around the backyard and then we went for a 20 min walk. When we came back he laid down right away and stayed in the same position for 15 min and until my mom went up to him.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:56 AM

Yeah, your dog might have been suffering and that could have set him off. Or maybe not. So sorry you have to deal with this!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Crowned Member

Ongoing anger issues with strangers?? So there is a history of aggression? How bad are the bites? Were they full bites? Puncture? Or bruises that showed some bite inhibition?

Without knowing more of the story, assuming he was totally ok with family members prior to the surgery, I would have to ask if he's in pain or on medication. And how his testosterone levels changing may affect this.
CometDog likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

The aggression he has towards strangers is just basically barking and growling at anyone he is not familiar with but whenever he is out on walks he is not bothered by people on the street. Same thing whenever he is at the vet's office, he doesn't snap at the vet or pay attention to other dogs in the waiting room. The severity of the bites is about level 4- a few punctures on both arms and bruising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page