4 YR OLD Lunged at taunting Kids - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

4 YR OLD Lunged at taunting Kids

Hello, I am new to this forum and have recently adopted a 4 yr old GSD mix (with husky?)
I have a twi children who are 2 and 4 - he is good with them.
We recently went to a local park where there was a group of about 6/8 primary school aged children. Rhey asked if the could aproach him while he was tied to a fence, 'yes, is ok to stroke but may jump around'. He is a big dog.
The kids come up to him and start jumoing around his head - He lunged and growled. The kids seemed to get scared but also entertained them. I asked them to stoo but they continued and so did he.
What should I think about this behaviour?

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

How long have you had him and how much time has he had to adjust to you and your home? Did the rescue you got him from give you any suggestions? What did they tell you about his personality? I see several things I would do differently. I would not take a new rescue to a public area with a lot of strangers around. If I did, I would let him observe people from a distance. I would not tie him to a fence. I would not let strangers touch him, ever, especially children. There is no reason for anyone outside of your family to run up and pet him.

Take a step back. Keep him home or take him on walks where he wonít be forced to interact with a lot of strangers. Take time to get to know him. Teach him foundation obedience. If you arenít sure about any of this, get a trainer.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
How long have you had him and how much time has he had to adjust to you and your home? Did the rescue you got him from give you any suggestions? What did they tell you about his personality? I see several things I would do differently. I would not take a new rescue to a public area with a lot of strangers around. If I did, I would let him observe people from a distance. I would not tie him to a fence. I would not let strangers touch him, ever, especially children. There is no reason for anyone outside of your family to run up and pet him.

Take a step back. Keep him home or take him on walks where he won’t be forced to interact with a lot of strangers. Take time to get to know him. Teach him foundation obedience. If you aren’t sure about any of this, get a trainer.
Thankyou for your reply.

We are in the UK and he is from an adoption website. We have a Yorkshire Terrior too so had taken him to meet him prior bringing him home. This was not the first dog we went to see.

He was never in a Dog Shelter and comes from a loved place - his privious owner passed away, unexpectedly at a young age. We got him from one of his owners friends, who had 3 other dogs.

I have certainly learnt the lesson not to let kids pet him, particularly this lot who tbh are not the best behaved.

I guess my question is, how do you know if a dog would bite? I know, this is a very open question.. But, maybe someone could give me some clues?

Does lunging lead to bites? Or, is it always a warning sign?

The scene was alike to Beauty and the Beast when the villagers are all taunted the beast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I would like to also add, do I meed to muzzle my dog?
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

and also, he gets on fine with our yorkie. The sleep together but we just need to give their food separately..
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

And sorry, more to add. His previous owner had a burger van, which he went around with him in. He is currently overweight, which I assume is from eating too much human food
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Lunging could be nothing more then excitement. Do you remember how he was holding his ears? Was he wagging his tail? If so was it fast or slow. Was his tail high or low?. Those are all signs of aggression vs friendliness.

There is something called a two week shut down where rescues are given time to adapt to their new home. I don’t know about a muzzle. I only use one for the vet and only with my younger dog and only occasionally.

Does anyone else have a link to that black and white drawing of dogs showing aggression, fear, etc?

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 09-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Master Member

Part of a good bond between man and dog IMO is the dog knowing you have his back at all times....you did not in this case.....don't take your dog to a park...tie him to a fence and allow anyone to approach him and attempt to pet him..least of all children....you're setting him up when you tie or chain him up that way.. for something that won't end well for him or you....keep him leashed to you and don't allow strangers-- adults or children to pet him simply because they want to--dogs are labeled as "biters" every day simply because the dog is left tied out some where and any one can approach to "pet" them....this was on you because you allowed it......kids are not always perfect little angels...they don't always listen and yes they can be mean....I know this because 60 some odd years ago--I was a kid and I haven't forgotten

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I agree, and have learnt now not to let any unfamilular children near him again. I should have guessed where it would have led when the kids were all previiusly throwing mud rocks at each other. I guess I am used to how my children are with them, as they have been taught how to treat animals.
A concern I am worried about is other parents worrying aboht him harming their children, which would be viable for them to feel. I do not want people to think I would let a dangerous dog near kids.

It is still hard to tell. I had turned my back while cleaning up poop to find them coaxing each other on to taunt him. tmThe kids seemed to find it a game and lokking back, our dog may have seen it either way.
Thank you for all your sound advise - it is all stuff I will take from now on.

He was growling, he is grumpy so uses this sound more than he would a bark.

The growl makes me feel like it kust have been more agressive/get out of jy face reaction that could have gone further?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I take my children to the park with the dogs? I live in an area that luckily have many parks but they all have areas for kids to play. Said areas always have a tie statiin for dogs to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page