Starting to have issues on-leash - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWren View Post
Thanks everyone for their thoughts. It looks like on-leash greetings must stop--not that I care about that anyway. Giving up the dog park is going to be really hard, but I'm keeping this in mind as a distinct possibility, if not probability.

I'm going to start carrying around high-value treats and really get "leave it" and "watch" firm. Maybe take an e-collar class to try to solve the chase/nip behavior.
I’d be careful using an e-collar for corrections while nipping/chasing another dog. He can learn to associate the quick shock with dogs, and get even more dog aggressive.

I do use an e-collar on Lyka, because she still has some leash reactivity, but never use the shock or stim buttons. She’s great with just the noise button. As soon as she hears that noise, her attention redirects back to me.

We keep the Husky on a prong for walks, it’s the only thing we can find that he won’t pull through. We tried the e-collar, on all settings, and had to keep amping up the level because he would have zero reaction to any of it. My GSD will startle at the shock level set to one. We went all the way up to 28 with no results. Finally, we went to to 50, and he looked back at us, then just kept on pulling, even if we hit the button again. He never reacted after that first reaction. And we ordered the extra long prongs for the e-collar and trimmed the bajesus out of his coat where the e-collar prongs touched, still nada.

We don’t do dog parks period, it’s just a disaster waiting to happen, especially if they aren’t separated for small dogs/big dogs. And not because mine will charge and attack other dogs, but because my dogs have no interest in the other dogs, and the other dogs get all up in their face when mine are trying to stay away from them. With enough pestering, my GSD will soft bite, but of course the owner of the other dog just sees a GSD’s mouth on their dog, and get all hysterical and blame us, even though it was their dogs persistent annoying behavior that prompted it.

If you want to continue with the dog park, I suggest you get some pretty heavy insurance that will protect the actual dog, and not just an add on for your homeowners insurance. One bite is all it takes for someone to sue you for everything you have. And
CactusWren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

The ecollar can make a dog so much worse if used the wrong way. Especially at the dog park mindlessly hitting a button. I’m not sure it is even allowed in the dog park. The e collar can be helpful if used the right way with the right timing and the dog knows by blowing of a instruction the correction is coming from you. I would seek out a recommended trainer who is familiar with e collars to show you how to use one. They are not a short cut but proofing your training.
ausdland and CactusWren like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-21-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
The ecollar can make a dog so much worse if used the wrong way. Especially at the dog park mindlessly hitting a button. I’m not sure it is even allowed in the dog park. The e collar can be helpful if used the right way with the right timing and the dog knows by blowing of a instruction the correction is coming from you. I would seek out a recommended trainer who is familiar with e collars to show you how to use one. They are not a short cut but proofing your training.
Thanks, I totally agree. The place that I get my training has an e-collar class, so I was thinking about taking that. But I wouldn't use the e-collar before getting the training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:00 AM
Elite Member

Don't use an e collar for corrections while interacting with another dog. That'll just make him more reactive, aggressive towards other dogs. If anything you'd use it for his failure to 'leave it' from a distance.
wolfy dog and CactusWren like this.

Yana

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

Yes the above can’t be stressed enough with what jchrest and Ausland said in regards to the ecollar being used as correction of blowing off a command like “leave it “and not soley on the action of say when your dog nips and chases a dog or the same would be in the chase of wildlife- Your timing would be off. It can take seconds for them to get into the zone and blow through the ecollar and the e collar can then easily act in escalating their actions. Watching and learning your dogs body language (which takes time) a great thing to learn in class with many opportunities and observation under the instructor. Giving the dog instruction on how to respond “leave it “ when heavily focused on something and a correction when a “leave it” or another command is blown off. The correction will bring the dogs brain back to you and listens to your “leave it” or any command then the dog is rewarded. This is the same In any use of any correction leash pops and ecollars on or off leash. It is good you found a class to learn how to use the ecollar and do not have to go searching.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-22-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page