Incident with a small dog yesterday. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:21 PM

I think a lot of times, things get taken out of context, and though the forum is a wealth of information, it can also certainly make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I don’t know how many times I’ve heard stories of people picking up their yappers after they see a big dog coming, and the yapper is still yapping it’s face off, and a nip or two comes from the big dog.

Do some research outside this forum. Many many trainers train that it is a bad idea to pick up a small dog or puppy if the big dog has already taken notice of it. I know when the two small pups would wrestle together, and one started yipping, my girl would run over a nip them both. The same way bitches do with their litters.

Our roomies daughter is a dramatic annoying teenager, and if any of my dogs starts making their way towards her pup, she gets all hysterical yelling at the big dogs and rushes over to save her pup (when he was never in any danger to begin with). As soon as she scoops him up, Lyka will nip him.

She is not a dog that shows a breed standard, and her behavior is not always perfect, but she’s never done harm to any animal in our home. Nipping and mouthing, sure, to our husky and the pups, but it’s the equivalent of me giving a gentle swat on the butt when one of my daughters mouth off at me.

I do have to manage my dog more than most, because of some issues she has that no trainer could work us through. But it’s not a huge issue. We lead our normal daily lives, and situations pop up that are outside the norm. (Like with my GSD and the pug). It’s not the end of the world, and I don’t think a huge thing has to be made of it. Of course my dog didn’t think the pug was a bunny or some small prey animal. She knew it was a dog. And she knew the dog tried to attack her first. So she retaliated. I’m not going to stop letting her out front on her lead line, it was a random occurrence, and didn’t give me any pause for concern.

I took a few years off this forum because I seemed to always be honed into how bad the breed is, and how this dog bit that dog, or person, and the over the top responses that came after. It became overwhelming, and I found myself micromanaging and picking things out of Lyka’s behavior that I would have never questioned before I joined this forum. I worked one on one with a trainer, and stopped getting involved in the forum, and we had happy years together.

Take everything you read with a grain of salt, and shift through the bad with the good.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

I still think that the initial incident was territorial. But a shrieking pup is prey for sure and I agree that this is not a dog I would have around small creatures or small children.
The cheap shot, the second nip at the puppy would have gotten the correction from ****. Not acceptable, not appropriate and not happening ever again.
My current dog has crazy, over the top, unstoppable prey and hunt drive. She does not get to run loose, I will not bring small creatures to my home while she lives and although she seems to like them she is strictly controlled near small children. I keep her muzzled in public.
It's just a responsibility thing.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandboone View Post

And Jax, funny how you wait until some one else goes into it being a bad thing (which I obviously already knew) before you throw your opinion then on how he needs to be contained. Guess it's tough going against the majority and you needed to wait for some one else to post it was an issue? And please don't start drama with people about fences on my post. Thanks.
Well...if you want to be nasty, I can be too. I was responding to your post. Blunt? yes. Was it bad? No. Unless you want to be in denial. In fact, I SAID he wasn't a bad dog. It was even in English.

Had you posted the bit about the puppy, and your apparent complete lack of understanding on what constitutes a prey object, and your lack of understanding on why a dog shakes the prey object they catch, with the story of the dog in your yard I would have posted what I just posted. Funny thing about information - it often fills in the rest of the picture for people and that often changes the responses you get back.

As far as the drama with other people? I asked JChrest to clarify her post because she started her sentence off addressed to me. And she did. I asked, she answered. no drama there. Except the drama you just started because you didn't like anything 'bad' said.

Let your dog run loose in the front yard. You do you.
Sabis mom, CometDog and LRP like this.

Last edited by Jax08; 06-17-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:11 AM

*********Keep your responses polite please************

If you are unable or unwilling then private message one another.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:34 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
... It makes him a dog that needs training and management.
Wow, is there a comment that could be less specific and more generally applicable than this? This applies to every dog out there...great insight!

Moving on, the whole premise that when a dog, any dog, grabs another dog and does the "shake" that it means to kill, could not be more off base. It's synonymous with saying that every dog that barks at a cat wants to kill them, and that's simply not true! Do dog's kill prey that way, yes. But they also do it to keep their opponent off balance so they can't accurately bite them back. It's instinctual, and you can't draw any specific conclusion from that alone!

And again, all dogs need training and management, so that's a non statement...means nothing. The OP's dog didn't do anything wrong or even surprising. To me what's surprising is that people have dogs and spend time with them and then somehow never learn about their nature...or ever train them really.

But, to get back SOLIDLY on topic, OP, I've said it a hundred times before and I'll say it again, most issues your has that you find undesirable are best resolved indirectly. In this case I personally would work on impulse control types of things and solid solid solid recall. He didn't do anything surprising or shocking, and certainly nothing you should be crying over, just work his recall and impulse and general obedience, and if family members can't be trusted to play by your rules always, by all means contain him securely when you're not home! All in all though, nothing at all is "wrong" with your dog or your methods...just might need to step up training a bit to get his behavior under better control.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Elite Member

The best advice you got here is that you have seen a few behaviors that could cause serious problems, so you need to manage. Lead when not contained with a good fence etc. and no tolerance of family members overriding what you know you need to do to handle your dog.

Here are some perhaps helpful articles about prey drift, real reasons for head shakes etc. My dog use to lunge and was not in control of his defensive drive. Reading up on it and working with a trainer that was familiar with his lines saved our bacon, and I have no problem being honest saying it isn't fixed, I have to be diligent about managing it, and about learning his language. What he has is extremely desirable for what he was bred to do, but it needs to be trained channeled and managed for home life. Even if it involves wearing a t shirt that says " Don't act like you know this dog very well unless you do" lol He is under my control, but that took work and I still have to "manage it" A quick fuss command and giving him a way out when some doof stranger wants to squeal and ruffle his ears..

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Dog-Beha...redatory-Drift
https://pets.thenest.com/dogs-shake-toys-3507.html

Even the "cuteness" page has that part right:
https://www.cuteness.com/blog/conten...ake-their-toys

Good luck OP, sounds like a good strong dog (I'm glad he dropped his quarry and recalled to you- that is good) and as long as you are willing to be real you will be able to train and manage him. I love my dog dearly, so I am willing to do all that to keep both my finances and his good reputation intact.
dogma13 and Sabis mom like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

The puppy crying caused a animal instinctual prey reaction in your dog. The dog should of gotten a big correction right there now you know what can set him off and you need to enforce the rules.

Management and training has to be strengthened best advice. German shepherds are very protective of their property so control is very important. It is good your dog dropped the little dog instead of killing him right there where he so easily could of. It only takes one good shake and one strong bite to kill a small dog. Ecollar would be helpful and is best shown how to use by a trainer can help proof off leash recalls and obedience instructions with constant consistency can help prevent scenarios like this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-18-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Crowned Member

@CometDog - great t shirt idea.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I was thinking putting on the back:
Attached Images

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I was thinking putting on the back:
Lol you must!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page