Expelled from Two Doggie Daycares - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Expelled from Two Doggie Daycares

Cobalt is a 13-month-old male GSD. We got him when he was 9 weeks old from a breeder. We met his parents and was told that his grandfather was a police dog. We started a new round of vaccinations per vet suggestion, so we didn't take him out to socialize until his vaccination was up-to-date. He was mouthy when he was a little boy. When he was 16 weeks old, he went to a professional trainer for obedience training. After his training, we sent him to daycare several times and he was a very good puppy and didn't cause any problems.

After 6 months old, he didn't go to daycare anymore due to the fact that the daycare doesn't allow unneutered/unspayed dogs over 6 months of age to attend group play. We sent him back to daycare recently after he got neutered. However, he was expelled from the daycare after two tries. Please see the following report cards: "The afternoon Cobalt was a bit more overstimulated and snipped at one of the new pups in daycare." "An Attendant was working with another pup and Cobalt came over to see what was going on. When Cobalt got close enough, he jumped on the other dog and started to growl and nip." "We gave him some time to sniff around and then I let the first pup in. As soon as the dog came in the yard, Cobalt went after him."

Today, I took him to a different daycare for the enrollment evaluation. The owner said Cobalt did very well at the beginning until the dog wanted to leave. Then Cobalt jumped on the dog and nipped the dog on the back. She introduced another dog to Cobalt and the same thing happened. Therefore, Cobalt is not allowed to go to this daycare anymore for his and the other dogs' safety.

Cobalt is friendly to our family members. He does show signs of separation anxiety. We walk and exercise him regularly. He wears an E-collar and is on a leash when he is on a walk and has never interacted with other dogs physically during them.

I don't know what is causing his behavior towards other dogs (jumping on them, nipping, and growling). Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:14 PM

I have had a number of male GSDs. As a general rule, I never allow them near strange dogs. No day care, no dog parks, no meeting other dogs on the street. The odds of something bad happening are just too great. Also, they all seem to take offense at any other dog being near me.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Why does he wear an e collar on leashed walks?
Cobalt0515 likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Why do you think he needs to go to Doggie Daycare and interact with strange dogs?
wolfy dog, Sabis mom and CometDog like this.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:10 PM

GSDs are big, strong dogs and they have aggressive tendencies. It probably is just easier for the doggie day cares to drop a dog who shows any aggression rather than give them the benefit of the doubt.

In my Obedience 2 class, there is an older GSD who is, apparently, dog aggressive mainly toward other GSDs! This dog jumps up and snarls whenever my Jupiter stands up suddenly, even though Jupiter is not aggressive and is well-socialized. There is also this husky that bit Jupiter and snarls at him--supposedly he likes all other dogs. Yet Jupiter doesn't fight, bully, or attack other dogs. He is even gentle toward small dogs.

Yet the owner of my training center offhandedly said that something to the effect that Jupiter maybe should be neutered earlier because of his temperament. Seemed strange to me, since his normal trainer seems to think he's great and my personal, biased judgment is that he is pretty mild for a GSD.
Cobalt0515 likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Elite Member

While there are outliers, GSD's in general haven't proven to be good doggie daycare or dog park dogs once past puppy age (under one year). It's not part of their genetic make up or temperament to want to indiscriminately play or hang out with strange dogs. By standard they are supposed to be aloof.
That's not to say they can't or won't play with other dogs. Just not strange dogs in a daycare/dog park environment. This breed is not the happy-go-lucky lab that loves everyone and every dog.
If you are using a doggie daycare because you feel you dog needs play time with others dogs...no need. He would be much happier spending his time with you. Just my two cents.
Sabis mom, Mudypoz, Femfa and 2 others like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

I took my first GSD on some play dates but after 8 or 9 months or so he just didn't care about other dogs anymore and rather wanted to interact with me. He even shrugged off annoying (neutered!) males while he was intact and never showed any DA. After him I never took the others to dog parks, except to cross through one on my way to play in the river.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:19 PM

if you bring your dog to Day Care because you work long hours, you might be better off hiring a dog walker. But make sure they understand how to handle a large strong dog. You'll need someone who is fair but firm with your guy.
tc68 and Cobalt0515 like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

I took two rescues to daycare regularly but they didn’t really like it much. They only interacted with each other and with the employees. I did it so I would have a place to leave them when I went on vacation. My younger dog now didn’t care for it when he aged out at 6 months I didn’t neuter him and haven’t bothered to find one that would take an intact dog. A good daycare can address behavior problems but it sounds like he isn’t adapting well. I would look for another solution.
Cobalt0515 likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:26 AM
Crowned Member

Doggie day care and dog parks have been introduced in the last decade or so to people who buy into the doggy-parent baloney.

Your dog is a dog, not a furry kid. He is a canine, in the same grouping as a wolf or wild dogs. These are domestic dogs and there are some differences. But the species is the same. Now, what do we know about wolves and wild dogs? They are pack animals. You will say, but of course, I know that. Of course you do. But lets look at a pack.

Dog/wolf packs usually begin with a pairing of a dog/bitch. She separates, often with the young male to have a litter of puppies. Those puppies grow up into adolescents and she is pregnant again. And again. The most independent/dominant pups move out of the pack and form their own packs with a strong bitch. Middle of the road dogs, run and hunt with their dam and sire, and the omega pups, grow into being the babysitter-type dogs.

But the point is the dogs run, hunt with, play with dogs in their own pack. Order is established and then forgotten about. Only in times of change, injury/illness is there a disruption in the pack order. The male marks his territory, and other dogs stay away. If another dog comes into the territory there is generally going to be a fight. It depends on who's who in the pecking order. Makeshift packs of semi-domesticated dogs, might incorporate outsiders into the pack.

Dogs who are alpha, walk around like their poop doesn't stink, and every other dog just accepts that that dog is the king of the mountain. Few if any fights. Beta dogs, are the wanna-be alphas. These are the dogs that fight for status and to keep their status. Like if the alpha dog dies, a beta dog may be put into the position of leader, and that dog, because of his lack of confidence, will be challenged and dethroned most likely. Beta dogs fight. Omega dogs often are like welcome mats. Many dogs will attack an omega-type dog. These are like the kids that are bullied wherever they go. Something about them, just makes them targets.

In the pack structure, there is a place for alphas, betas, and omegas. And when the pack is stable, there is not a lot of fighting.

Now lets look at doggy daycare. Daycare is for pre-school age children, because throughout life, children have to function with a variety of people all the time. They will have to function with peers, with teachers, employers, customers, professionals, etc. So to socialize them, and help them thrive as a member of society, we send them to school, and often pre-school. When we go to work, we cannot put them in a cage, they need constant supervision, while hopefully learning/exercising their mind, body, and social skills. It is imperative for children to grow physically, mentally, and socially if parents want to get them out of the basement and on their own someday.

Your dog is never going to be "on his own someday." This is why you are an owner and not a pet-guardian or pet parent. His instinct is to pack up, and his pack is his family. It can include Grandma who doesn't live with you, but who sees him all the time, all the humans in the household, other dogs he lives with, and maybe the cat or the bird or the guinea pig. Maybe, your dog decides to protect the old lady across the street's home too (Princess did.) And maybe your dog is fine with the two little dogs or big dogs next door.

But unless the doggy day care is properly staffed (unlikely), with people who understand dog-psychology, body language, etc., and the group of dogs is stable -- that is not changing all the time, it is an extremely stressful situation for young dogs. And neutered dogs often have as many, if not more problems than intact dogs. Not sure why that is, but over and again, the dog in the dog park that causes all the problems is a neutered dog.

The good news is that your dog does not need doggy day care or dog parks. And, behavior can improve without doggy daycare. On the one hand, the dog's brain and body are exercised during the day while you are working, and he may otherwise be sleeping in his crate or kennel. On the other hand, at best the dog is running, playing, indulged, and at worst constantly stressed for a long period of time. So when you get them back, they may be tired, over-tired, or relieved to the point where they are now able to act out. So sometimes you have really bad behavior when they come home. Or, more likely, you have a dog that reacts when they see other dogs. They either think that every time they see another dog, it is amusement-park-play time; or it is time to bully or be bullied the other dog.

Those of us who show, want a dog that is confident in situations where there are other dogs, preferably neutral. We don't take them to puppy kindergartens where there is free-for-all play times. We do not generally take them to dog parks or doggy day care, because our dogs play with us, and we want them to ignore other dogs for the most part. Which makes us ogres.

The new, improved PETA imposed pet guardianship ideology, tries to make people think that they need to take their dogs to doggy day care, to stimulate them when they are not home. To take them to dog parks, so they can play with other dogs. This is untrue and in many cases unkind.

We should not be "humane" to dogs. They are not humans. It is terribly disrespectful to treat a dog like a human. They are beautiful, and spectacular creatures, dogs. To try to make humans them, to treat them as humans, is putting expectations on them that they can't and shouldn't realize. If you want a human, make one, adopt one, connect with one. If you want a dog, treat it appropriately to its species. It doesn't mean you shouldn't house train the dog, and train it to walk on a leash and to be comfortable around other people/dogs. But we are going beyond training and living with a domestic animal, and trying to make them little people.

Ok, I know this isn't your fault. It is the fault of the Humane Society of the United States and PETA and the AR movement. We need to take our dogs back.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page