What do you expect when a child runs at your dog? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:20 AM

My dogs sit and wait till I give the kid permission to pet them(I hope they ask lol). They really enjoy attention from small humans. They're protective of me around adults though.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:22 AM

people/kid aggression

and the poor dog/owner is always at fault=kids need to be punished and stupid people slapped. ALL DOGS BITE SOMETIME IN THEIR SHORT LIVES
Sabis mom and tim_s_adams like this.
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
My default is a Sit, but I never let anyone run at my dog. If I see it coming, I will shout STOP before they ever get near us. My younger one loves children and would not likely react to badly one, but still, I never know what a child will do to him, so I keep strangers away. My younger dog is smaller and has a puppy look so people think she’s younger than she is. Last summer we were at a fair and a little girl, maybe 7 years old, ran by, turned and screamed in her face. It happened so fast, all I could do was get mine out of there fast. She is not a biter and would not even growl at a child, but my dog was scared and darted behind me and nearly pulled me with her. Fortunately, I had a good hold on a short leash because of the crowds so I turned, pushed her safely behind me and calmed her, but I was extremely annoyed. I almost shouted something at the mom, who thought her child was being cute, because by then they were too far for a quiet conversation. I decided to ignore it because taking care of my dog was most important and the mom didn’t seem like someone who would listen anyway. That dog is a rescue and is not warm to strangers and that didn’t help at all. She was a little nervous after that so we went home. It totally ruined my day. She has been going to street fairs and outdoor markets with me since she was a puppy and I never had a single problem with her or anyone else until that day.
I would have been the person you heard accross the fair grounds screaming in those most mean voice BACK OFF YOU STUPID BRAT- DONT YOU DARE ATTACK MY DOG !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipke View Post
My dogs sit and wait till I give the kid permission to pet them(I hope they ask lol). They really enjoy attention from small humans. They're protective of me around adults though.
So where does your dog draw the line 'kid vs adult'?
What does "Protective of me around adults" mean to you?
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM

I had Shali every bit of thirty years ago when I was younger and "stupid". Now with the change in the GSD dogs, we have rescue dogs and every dog goes out in "public" with a muzzle on. And yes I wrote that book. As they say, "Hindsight is always twenty-twenty".
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoson41 View Post
I would have been the person you heard accross the fair grounds screaming in those most mean voice BACK OFF YOU STUPID BRAT- DONT YOU DARE ATTACK MY DOG !!!
I might have if I hadn’t controlled myself. We run the risk of getting dogs banned. Parents with children spend a lot of money at fairs. Parents of dogs don’t. But I thought it. I love children. I don’t like every parent, though. In a previous career I worked with disabled children and the biggest problems I ever had came from parents, never the children. When a child that young misbehaves, it’s usually the parent’s fault for not training them or watching better. Kind of like with dogs.
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Master Member

My friend brought her golden retriever to the playground a few times when our kids met there.
Talk about crazy kids...
there were kids running up to her and CLIMBING ON THE DOG'S BACK to play horsey. My friend would pull them off while saying, "She doesn't like that. And you're too heavy" etc. The kids would giggle and run away, but a few of them would run back and TRY AGAIN LATER. This golden retriever was a truly "golden" dog...just calmly hung out there on her leash.
But what kid climbs on an unknown dog's back to ride on it?! I just couldn't believe it.
That's why I have not brought Rumo to a playground yet!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

Not all dogs bite. The ones I have now have never bitten anyone.
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
So where does your dog draw the line 'kid vs adult'?
What does "Protective of me around adults" mean to you?
My dog draws the line at 13 1/2, unless they're tall, then it goes back to 13 even

Kidding, of course! Teenagers are typically vetted by their demeanor with my dog. She's stable and aloof to most teenagers and adults, but kids she always likes! I think it's her mothering instinct. With little ones she's always very gentle and careful not to walk too close so as to knock them down. Older kids she watches for a minute before deciding...

Sorry for jumping in where a question was asked of someone else. But I related a story here not too long ago about a dog that bit me when I was 14, and it later came up and I said the dog had never bitten a child. Someone called me on that because 14 is considered still a child! I was 5'8" tall at that time and weighed around 150, so not "really" a child in the dog's eyes! It is an interesting question though, at what point does your dog view a kid as an adult...I'd say it goes by size first and demeanor second.
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
I had an interesting incident yesterday. Ryka has never disliked children unless they're overly rambunctious. Just the other week a young girl asked if she could pet her, and Ryka was so very sweet with her.

But yesterday was different. I was on a walk with my SIL and her dog and a young girl came running towards us as fast as she could without saying anything. I assumed she was running to the bench to grab something near us, but she bee-lined straight for the dogs. As she got close, she put her hand out to try and pet our dogs without asking. My SIL shouted that the dogs were not friendly (they are, but we've agreed not to let strangers pet our dogs on walks). The girl continued to try and get close. I pulled Ryka near me and tried to educate her on how to approach dogs, but she kept trying to get close. Ryka barked, warned her off, and the girl still continued to approach, so Ryka stepped up, barked more, and grabbed the front pocket of the girl's hoodie. It was a quick nip and let go - a warning nip - and she didn't grab anything other than the fabric. I gave a quick, hard correction to have her sit quietly, but it took me by complete surprise because it happened so quickly and she has never done that before. The young girl thought nothing of it, in fact she laughed. I was horrified. To put the kid's behaviour in perspective, her younger brother came running towards us shortly after and asked if he could hold our dogs' leashes as if it were a totally normal thing to do.

Is that a normal reaction given the situation? Ryka has been good with children, and often she's the confident one that's happy to be engaged with once she's done sniffing. We have young kids come to our club, and whenever they come she licks their faces or happily interacts with them. She's never behaved that way before, but recently during bite work when the helper went to run his hand over her head during the bite, she let go to try and grab his hand when he did it a third time. The two incidences happening so closely together threw me off a bit, and I'm probably over thinking it, but I don't want to risk Ryka ever biting someone if it isn't in self-defense.

Thoughts?
Having not read any farther than your OP: I live in a super dog-friendly area, so she can go lots of places with me. We have great luck with places like hardware stores and a few taprooms I've identified, and less-good luck with certain taprooms (drunk parents + unsupervised kids = bad) or mall walking type things. I stopped going to the places in the latter category for the most part, because without fail, she gets rushed by some kid, and it isn't worth the risk. That being said, a free range toddler once rushed her left side during an outdoor training class when we were doing heeling exercises and I had no time or room to get out of the way. I yelled at the kid just to stop her cold.

My dog's reaction is basically nothing; she trusts me to handle it. If I have time, I will body block. If I don't have time to do anything but throw my voice, I will yell at kids. I'm not shouting abuse or anything, just using the tone of my voice to startle them and buying myself time to turn or stop them. Basically, though, I raise my voice to strange children in public a lot more than I ever thought anyone should. Surprisingly no parent has ever reacted to this. It almost makes me sad because they are invariably paying so little attention to their kid that they have no idea the kid just tried to rush a dog four times its size OR that they got yelled at by a strange lady for doing so.

My dog is kept close and controlled and I keep an eye on her at all times - but I would be very surprised if she ever reacted. At this point in our relationship, she understands that I will handle whatever happens and she will wait for me to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page