Bad fight between 2 dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Bad fight between 2 dogs

I'm still rattled from this one, I've had dogs fight before but last night was bad.

I have a 8 month old intact male Shepherd, Tank, and a spayed 9 year old Corgi, Sherlock. Sherlock has been top dog and she's had a few tiffs with Tank, but they are usually over within a minute after Sherlock gives up.

Last night Sherlock snapped at Tank over a piece of watermelon. Then it became a knock down drag out, bloody fight. Tank had Sherlock pinned and he had no intention of letting her go, she was pretty clearly submitting and screeching and he just kept going after her.

Luckily we were able to get them separated with out any people getting hurt, but Sherlock is in rough shape.

We are doing crate and rotate right now, but do we do a reintroduction in a couple days/when she's healed up? I want to make this work, but I also want to keep Sherlock safe.

1 big goofy shepherd, 1 ornery old corgi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Unless something changes, fights tend to get worse each time.

How you chose to approach this depends on how much effort you want to put in and the amount of danger you are willing to put yourself and your dogs in.

Muzzles properly conditioned and introduced are the first step.

I've successfully re-integrated two male dogs after a serious fight by clicking and treating every time they look at each other with relaxed body language.

I combined this with a very strictly enforced "no" command- dogs need to immediately stop and hit the deck, all dogs, when they hear this. Consistent and very much enforced with strong corrections. Also you have to get in the dog's heads and correct them when they are starting to think about fighting. Strong corrections.

BUT but but, if a fight happened once, it may happen again, particularly now. You need to increase your level of interference and control with dog-dog interactions, and general life in the house. It is a process, a lifestyle change, and you always will need to be aware and in charge.

A GSD could kill a corgi. Pretty easily. Break her neck, rip out her belly, or serious puncture wounds to the skull.

I'd involve a really experienced trainer as well.

Good luck. Many people would decide to separate these dogs now. But with an intact male and spayed female, really they shouldn't be fighting at all (I've never seen it), and you have a better chance of success, I'd think, than say with two intact bitches.

Please update...
wolfstraum likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Master Member

No suggestions on how to fix the conflict, but if they fight again, grab your GSD by the hind legs and lift them off the ground and pull him away to break up the fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

First thing I would do is never, ever, feed them together again.
PghLoveGSD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
No suggestions on how to fix the conflict, but if they fight again, grab your GSD by the hind legs and lift them off the ground and pull him away to break up the fight.
Then, IF he lets go, he might turn around and bite you. Unless you are up to keeping them separate their entire lives, (eventually they'll find a loop hole) I would re-home one. Don't think that neutering will fix this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:02 PM

There could be several things going on here. Have there been tiffs or is Sherlock a bully? Herding breeds can be pretty bratty. I'm around some sort of herding breed/small dog mix. She will harass my other dog but Codi doesn't even give her the time of day when she does that. The rest of the time they play and cuddle together. It's only when Codi comes inside the house the first time. Codi though is half lab and I've noticed most of them are extremely tolerant/submissive with other dogs. German shepherds on the other hand, a lot of them don't like to back down if challenged. Probably why bitch fights are so common.

My guess is that either Tank has Food aggression or Sherlock is tormenting him and a high value item/beginning maturity/patience running out instigated a fight where he had enough of her and let her know it. Because as others said this is a fairly unusual fight.

I second sunflowers on not feeding them together again including treats. If giving treats like things to chew on I'd put in separate rooms or kennel one or both especially Tank.

I'd then get strong obedience on both of them and start muzzle training Tank. I'd start off with not doing it while he's in the same room with Sherlock. While she's healing will be a good time. I'd get a good quality basket muzzle.

I'd very closely watch how Sherlock treats Tank. If she starts picking on him put an immediate stop to it. You should be putting a stop to any tiffs preferably before they start. Some will say you need to let them work it out. That might work with some dogs but as you've just seen it can have disastrous results so I wouldn't risk it. When I lived with my dad with the two females whenever their play started getting heated it was ended immediately and I made them take a rest and get settled down to avoid playing turning into fighting. You will need to closely monitor body language and their interactions from here on out. If it's food aggression not feeding by each other should help. If it's just them not getting along you may have more trouble and heavy management during their interactions is going to be needed.
Sunflowers likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Unless something changes, fights tend to get worse each time.

How you chose to approach this depends on how much effort you want to put in and the amount of danger you are willing to put yourself and your dogs in.
This is kind of the sticking point isn't it, I'm willing to put in the work, of course that what I thought I was doing, but I don't really want Sherlock to have to be put in this situation again.

Quote:

I'd involve a really experienced trainer as well.

Good luck. Many people would decide to separate these dogs now. But with an intact male and spayed female, really they shouldn't be fighting at all (I've never seen it), and you have a better chance of success, I'd think, than say with two intact bitches.

Please update...
Tank is in Manners 2 training, he did really well with puppy training. I'm hoping to talk to our trainer after class and see if they have any recommendations.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

They weren't being fed together, apparently a piece of watermelon got left outside I know I should've been more diligent about picking it up especially since its a high value treat for my corgi. They aren't fed together though, Tank is fed in his crate and Sherlock is fed in a different room and the bowls are picked up after feeding.

Quote:
Have there been tiffs or is Sherlock a bully? Herding breeds can be pretty bratty.
Yes they've had a couple scuffles, but they broke up relatively quickly and no one was worse for the wear. Sherlock is definitely the instigator, she is a very typically bitchy female corgi.

Quote:
My guess is that either Tank has Food aggression or Sherlock is tormenting him and a high value item/beginning maturity/patience running out instigated a fight where he had enough of her and let her know it. Because as others said this is a fairly unusual fight.
Tank hasn't shown any food aggression that I've seen, however I think you're right about the high value/beginning maturity/patience running out. Sherlock has a dominant personality, and I think Tank is starting to test that, and I don't think he wants to be bossed around by a dog half his size. I agree, I'm still surprised by the level that fight reached.

I just keep going back and forth, I don't know if this is salvageable. Sherlock, bitchy as she can be, doesn't deserve to live in a house with a dog that is going to try and kill her. On the other hand, if this is a matter of training, crate and rotate for a few months while hormones level out/he gets fixed but eventually could be a peaceful household I'd like to try that.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Yeah- that's the thing. I get it. Watching a dog you love try to kill another dog you love is horrifying.

I don't know how to help you make this decision, except to say, none of them are easy. If you can get a good trainer involved they can watch the dogs interact and hopefully give you some thoughts on possibilities for the future.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Crowned Member

Spayed females, and neutered males, fall outside of the norm so there is no guarantee that a male/female combo will work and there is ample evidence to suggest that spaying makes bitches more aggressive not less.
I owned a bitch that had serious issues with males and spaying made her worse. Yet she was fine with most females, which flies in the face of popular thinking. I also had an intact male completely set on killing my intact female. They are living creatures with their own ideas.
Unless you are prepared to crate and rotate for the rest of their lives I think you need to consider finding Tank a new spot. You can separate and train, but have a plan for if that does not work. I understand that you saw Tank start it That just means he is trying out his big boy pants and holding a grudge. So we know he is not a submissive being. Do what you can but be ready. Keep them apart for at least a few days to allow those stress hormones to subside, and invest in muzzles to keep everyone safe.
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page