Possessive / Resource Guarding owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ALEveland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Possessive / Resource Guarding owner

Willow is 6 months old, I have had her for about a month now.
Training is going very well, she is able to join me on-leash in public settings and listens well. She has a quiet demeanor, great with people and children. But has starting barking at strange dogs. It's easy enough to correct and then she just remains observant of them if they are still in the area.

What is cropping up now and is becoming an issue is what can only be defined as resource guarding.... of me.
And so far, only when she is with me on the couch or the bed. It started with 2 male dogs that aren't mine, when they came toward me while we were gathered in the living room, she whines and barks a high pitched bark, then eventually lunges and snaps. She is corrected and thankfully the male dogs are very well-behaved and leave the area and lay down elsewhere.

Apparently it is going to need further training and correction because last night she wound up in my bed, and this morning as I began to stir my 2 year old Labrador came to the bedside for morning greetings and she crawled/lunged around me into the Labs face barking and snapping and the Labrador had to snap and snarl back before I was able to pull Willow away and tell her "no." She always ends it there, she settles down when the dogs walk away or this time she got off the bed and lay down on her dog bed. But that clearly doesn't mean the issue is resolved. The moment is corrected but then she does it again when another dog approaches me.

Tips for proper response and handling of the situation would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dogs_026.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	518991  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

No more couch or bed for her.
Get up and leave if she does this.
Implement NILIF.
They are smart, and she will get it quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
No more couch or bed for her.
Get up and leave if she does this.
Implement NILIF.
They are smart, and she will get it quickly.

Perfect. Simple.
I wondered if simply removing the couch/bed option for her would be effective or if I was just avoiding the issue that way and she'd begin to possess a new space.

She does learn quickly, as usual it's the human that needs the right tools.
Thank you so much!

Amanda, Idaho, 28yo - IG: Backwoods.BlackDogs
Boondocks - German/Aussie 9yo
Renegade - Black Labrador 2yo
Willow - Black WL German Shepherd 7mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:18 PM

What Sunflowers said^^^.If your timing is impeccable you may be able to shut her down before she starts,while she's thinking about it but hasn't acted out yet.Hubby's dog is the same and after a few weeks of never ever letting her get away with it,she doesn't make the effort anymore,lolI another dog is getting attention she'll come over and wait her turn.She began to prefer praise and a pat for her good behavior rather than EH! and being body blocked.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
What Sunflowers said^^^.If your timing is impeccable you may be able to shut her down before she starts,while she's thinking about it but hasn't acted out yet.Hubby's dog is the same and after a few weeks of never ever letting her get away with it,she doesn't make the effort anymore,lolI another dog is getting attention she'll come over and wait her turn.She began to prefer praise and a pat for her good behavior rather than EH! and being body blocked.

ook, good call. I have noticed her sudden attention to whoever may be coming our direction. It seemed casual and simply observant but I bet if I can redirect her right then, or like Sunflowers said, remove myself from the situation then she has nothing to guard.

Thank you!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Update here. Willow's tendency to guard in this way is dwindling, but not yet curbed. The 2 male dogs that aren't mine are still her targets. I think it's taking a bit longer for her to realize that the behavior is completely unwanted, not just toward certain dogs, if that makes sense. She will come across the room to whine/bark and mouth their faces if they are near me. Telling her no, separating myself, and often even turning all of my attention on the male dogs for "sit" & treat is slowly.... slowly showing her that nothing desirable comes from acting this way. But I am far less worried. Just time and consistency now.
dogma13 likes this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:57 PM

Sounds like good progress!Consistency is everything.She may always have that tendency but will give up actually acting on it.Hubby's dog still gets that look in her eye,lol!Like she's thinking "Clearly my packmate is undeserving of any attention.Whatever".

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page