Puppy attacked older dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
The act of stopping a behavior is one thing, fixing the problem is another. That is why I asked. I have had great success with using a speak command to control unwanted barking, and some dogs are more vocal then others. It is completely normal for young pups to bark at other dogs. They do it out of fear, excitement and in play. Stopping the barking is fine, until it's not. You could easily create a dog that acts without warning, or as you just discovered, aversion methods work up until they don't. Given the right stimulus a strong dog will push past an aversion that is now an annoyance that adds to the problem.
As far as why? It really doesn't matter at this point but I suspect it was a combo of fear and frustration, amplified by being sprayed in the face.
I wouldn't let these two spend any time together for the very simple reason that whether it seems so or not your pup is absorbing the behavior and energy that your old guy is throwing around.
And you are correct yelling doesn't work, but it doesn't work for any reason on anything.
Thanks, Sabis mom. Your reasoning makes great sense to me. I will reconsider working on him with that speak command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWren View Post
We have a 13-year golden who is extremely dog aggressive; in fact, it was rejected by her previous placement because it was attacking their small dogs. We got her and she has been a great dog for us, as long as we avoided other dogs.

Is the Golden dog aggressive or is the Golden small dog aggressive or did somebody improperly introduce the Golden to their pack?

When I get the ball and pull him to the side, he's happy to just hang out with me.

If you are worried about dog aggression, I would stop bring a ball to a dog park. You can count on treats and toys starting dog fights in a dog park.

The golden cringed away, went to the end of the leash, and started sniffing the ground. I had to use the leash to keep the pup away, and since he's 40 lbs now, that wasn't really so easy.

The Golden went heavily into avoidance and does not seem to be the problem at the moment.

Again, I was surprised because the puppy has met dozens of dogs and never fought any of them. Rough play, yes.
Once again, if you are worried about dog fights, rough play will eventually start one. Many people say that their dogs rough play but from what I have seen, most dogs do not. The owners just aren't familiar with what rough play really looks like.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I believe Saco was alluding to timing errors.When dogs get really really upset they become so completely focused that a correction is useless at that point.It will many times amp them up more.The correction should interrupt the behavior before it starts,then show him what behavior you DO want.Sounds easy when it's writtenIt should all happen in a split second.Hopefully your trainer can help.When you can see it done and then put it into practice it becomes very natural.Best of luck and update as you progress!
I see. In the past, the spray did seem stop him from barking at nearly every dog he saw, and I only administered it once he was already barking. Then he stopped and licked it and looked uncomfortable. It seemed to have given him the message in the context of the puppy classes and walking around.

This was an entirely different order of situation (I now see) and it was completely ineffective. Although it didn't obviously exacerbate things, he pretty much went from 0-60 in a second and stayed at 60!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page