Help - 4 yr GSD Suddenly Aggressive When He Wakes Up Like He Doesn't Recognize Anyone - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Help - 4 yr GSD Suddenly Aggressive When He Wakes Up Like He Doesn't Recognize Anyone

I have a 4 1/2 year old intact male GSD who is developing bizarre aggressive behavior, usually just after he wakes up, but occasionally just before he falls asleep if he is very sleepy. It started with my husband about 6 months ago but now he has done it to me several times. He looks at me with a totally different expression in his eyes, like he absolutely does not recognize me and growls - even after he gets up and walks to me. Sometimes during those moments it's as if he has flashes where he recognizes me and wags his tail, and I can even be petting him and then it's gone for a second and he looks at me like who the **** are you? and growls again. I have tried talking nice to him so that he could recognize my voice in case he wasn't seeing me, and I have tried correcting him with raised voice. Neither works. The only thing I have found to do, is to call him away and give him basic commands, which he will do, but he will not be normal for up to several minutes. Once he has moved around a bit, (got his blood pumping) then he's back to his normal happy loving self.
There has been no change in his routine. He's had a perfect dog life. He has been raised since he was a puppy in the same house on a 60 acre farm. My husband and I both work from home so he has never been left alone for any periods of time. Quite a bit of our work is outside so he gets plenty of exercise every day and interactions with other animals, two older dogs, a cat, goats, horses. He has water to play/swim in summer. Has never been kenneled. Has always had full run of the house and sleeps in the bedroom at night, but knows his boundaries, (has never been allowed on furniture and does not jump on people or exhibit other bad behaviors.) He had all his basic training and works well off leash.
He's always had a strong prey drive, that we keep sated with durable toys and he is quite vocal as he attempts to rip them to shreds. But again he knows the rules and his boundaries and he is fine with little animals - the cat and even to be in with baby goats. He has always been a fearful dog, something that we addressed with confidence building exercises in his puppy training classes, but he has never been aggressive to anyone - not company, not children, not anyone, until this. He's a big dog now, over 100 pounds, and has always been a big sweet oaf, or a scaredy-cat. But when he's in this new semi-awake trance state or whatever it is, he is a different animal. My biggest concern is that this is something that is going to continue to progress and become more serious and dangerous? I read about canine cognitive dysfunction, but he doesn't have any of the other symptoms and he's not old. But there is definitely something going haywire in his brain when he's close to sleep and it is getting worse. Is this something known to occur in GSD's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I always recommend having a dog checked by a vet, including blood work and a complete thyroid panel, when there is a sudden change in behavior to make sure there is nothing medical going on.

No, this isn't normal or known to occur in GSD.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 AM
Crowned Member

I agree to take him to the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 AM
Crowned Member

yes - work up at vet

are vaccinations up to date? I would also titer him - probably unnecessary, but better to be safe

Lee
Sabis mom likes this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Brain tumor? Some sort of worm infection from eating something (rat lungworm)?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Crowned Member

This almost sounds post-ictal. Is there any chance he's having seizures?

Rat lungworms wouldn't be high on my list as a cause -- when they move into the brain, they tend to cause hind-end paralysis first. The symptoms look like meningitis. I have had this rare parasite come through our rescue, unfortunately.
Sabis mom and cvamoca like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-19-2019 at 09:22 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Elite Member

Yes vet visit for sure, do you think he could have gotten into something? Chemical or meds used for livestock?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Crowned Member

Your story sounds similar to our experience with our 4 year old male. We would sometimes see confusion and occasionally a low growl after waking, he would then walk away returning shortly after and act like his normal self. I would think about changing his sleeping situation until you can find some answers to help explain his behavoir.
Sabis mom, Findlay and cvamoca like this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

I had a dog who developed Rabies vaccinosis. Similar development. You can google it to see if it could be that. Vets are very resistant to this though.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:08 AM
Elite Member

I had a dog that changed and decompensated at that same age. I do not want to scare you, odds are it isn't as severe as my dog. However, a vet check is absolutely in order. SNAP panel. check for ALL tick borne diseases. Also consider possibility of seizures (drowsiness can be a prime time for them to occur) a brain tumor, rabies vaccinosis, rage syndrome (google those 2)

Don't panic over those terms..some are treatable (like tick diseases and seizures). I just wanted to help throw out ideas so you can make them topics with the vet, as even the good vets do not always think of everything.

Good luck OP I wish the best outcome for you.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page