Help - 4 yr GSD Suddenly Aggressive When He Wakes Up Like He Doesn't Recognize Anyone - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Elite Member

Glad you've found something that seems to help, but still, PLEASE be careful!

You said it ONLY happens inside. That made me wonder if his eyesight has been checked. If he's going blind, he may not be able to recognize you in the dimmer light indoors. Certainly something worth checking out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

Even if his eye sight is limited he should recognize your voice and scent. I am very curious how this medicine works for him. Hope you found the magic touch.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Master Member

Red face

[QUOTE=Ranger's Mom;9153259]Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions. I'll try to keep you updated for anyone who might have a case like this in the future. After reading an article on human symptoms of low tryptophan - specifically when levels are low in humans, they lose the ability to recognize facial expressions in other people as friendly and see them all as threatening. Once tryptophan levels are restored, they can recognize friendly again. (bizarre) So...since nothing else has worked, (trial period of anti-inflammatories, trial period of broad-spectrum antibiotics even though bloodwork and exam did not indicate pain or infection, I know some people will comment negatively on that, but I am not giving up on this dog without exhausting all possibilities. And no we do not have any children in the house, just my husband and I.)
Anyway, I started him on 100mg of tryptophan (over the counter supplement from Walmart in the form of 5-HTP) twice a day ten days ago and so far the results are promising. Within a few days we noticed improvement and he has continued to get better ever so slightly every day. He is not his old self yet, other than when we are outside, (where he has never had a problem) but he can sleep in the bedroom with us again and not look at us like we are devils in the morning. May be just coincidence, but I am cautiously optimistic. For his weight, the dose could be higher (recommended 1mg/lb) so I will be increasing it with the next bottle.
This is not a scientific study by any means, and too soon to tell how it will turn out, but I will keep you all updated.[/QUOTE

First let me say "Thanks" for posting back with an update..hopefully what you're seeing is not just a "coincidence" but is in fact helping and will continue to help and improve Ranger everyday...reading this prompted me to search tryptophan and it's relationship to serotonin....very very interesting...

This was an emotional thread for me from the beginning because i know how far to often....they come to an end.....I can't say enough good things about you for not quitting and keeping on searching for answers....again I pray he continues to improve.
The two most important things that any dog owner can have IMO--1) Don't quit on your dog & 2)Always have their back
I'm sure you'd say you're the lucky one when you look in your dogs eyes.....but I'd say Ranger is very darn lucky to be in your house and have you keeping watch on his back
Sunsilver and tim_s_adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger's Mom View Post
Anyway, I started him on 100mg of tryptophan (over the counter supplement from Walmart in the form of 5-HTP) twice a day ten days ago and so far the results are promising. Within a few days we noticed improvement and he has continued to get better ever so slightly every day. He is not his old self yet, other than when we are outside, (where he has never had a problem) but he can sleep in the bedroom with us again and not look at us like we are devils in the morning. May be just coincidence, but I am cautiously optimistic. For his weight, the dose could be higher (recommended 1mg/lb) so I will be increasing it with the next bottle.
This is not a scientific study by any means, and too soon to tell how it will turn out, but I will keep you all updated.

I have personal experience with 5-HTP. After being on Xanax for 5 yrs (couldn't start my day without it), I used this to get off Xanax.
I would like to suggest you go to a health food store and have someone direct you to a better version of the supplement.

Also want to suggest you add Magnesium into the mix. Specifically Bisglycinate form. Magnesium deficiency can take many forms, and supplementation with this can offset headaches, cure seizures, help with function in extremities, like leg cramps/spasms. Can help with allergies, heart health, mood swings, depression/anxiety, sleep...

So perhaps look into that

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Elite Member

This is kinda of different circumstances, but does have to do with behavioral changes.
Moo is non GSD. He is 11 to 12 years old. This has been a gradual change over the past year or so that I and the vet were thinking due to age, but in the last 4 months or so took a turn. Nothing aggressive. Started with decreased appetite, changed food around, had a dental done, was using vet prophen for arthritis. Weight loss. Had blood ran, all good. Tick panel heart worm all negative. He began not wanting to go on car rides, walks at the park, and when we did get him out and about he didn't sniff around or mark, which at his age we generally let him just walk, sniff enjoy himself. At home he started standing and staring at walls, get into weird places in the house and yard. Lethargic, not interested in his world around him. Thunder fear increased. He did have gingivitis, breath would smell like urine sometimes. the vet and I agree something with the brain might be going on, like said an MIR might show brain tumor, but at this age we couldn't do anything about it anyway and the cost, so no on that. Canine dementia maybe. We went thru two rounds of antibiotics, got his gingivitis under control. We started cortalone and gabapentin. We're doing a cut down on the cortalone right now, but the vet said we will probably keep him on the gabapentin. It has made a big difference. He shows more interest, no longer standing staring or getting into weird places. I know a prednisone can be tough with the peeing, but the cortalone seems easier for him to handle, just a couple accidents the first week. His been on this going on a couple months. its just helped with moo's behavior changes.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Elite Member

Just wanted to add, just about brought back our old moo, back to himself.
Not quite the old moo, and he may stay on the gabapentin for the rest of his life. It seems to have helped his bad weather issues/fear also. Really thought we were going to lose him a couple months ago.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Master Member

Glad he seems to be improving...

On the tryptophan...doesn’t it naturally occur in Turkey? I know amount is probably not significant, just a thought.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

Reading this brought to mind an article of a few years back in Whole Dog Journal about something similar that was the result of mold contamination in the dog food. Rather 'though, that dog did better indoors and had a hard time in daylight. But why it wouldn't present in the opposite as well??

Glad that something is working for the OP and very very glad to hear.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:17 PM
Master Member

To "Rangers Mom"....been a couple months just wondering if you're still seeing any improvements.....
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM

I was wondering if he displayed any of the issues toward "The Old Black Lab" or if it's only the humans & I do hope the improvements continue, but if he does have the issues again, I'd be cautious of keeping him with the other dog in case he goes after it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page