Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslover60 View Post
I have three dogs, not five.

Little guy
2 female GSDs
1 male GSD (son's dog - son lives on the property)
1 foster dog GSD
=
5 dogs

What's going to solve the problem by keeping them apart is that there will likely be less bloodshed, fewer vet visits etc. If you want some magic kingdom stuff, well, enjoy the fantasy until it blows up and you have bloodshed, vet visits resulting from dog fights, possible human injury. That's how I cynically see it. Otherwise, yes, I suspect you are headed for trouble. More trouble. You already have trouble.
Mudypoz likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

I typed a nice response and then lost it. Don't have the energy to re write it as well as it was.

1. cooling off period for the dogs

2. Chance for you to bond with each individually from one on one time while working with them

3. drain energy from each individually so they aren't looking to expend energy on each other

4. Work on obedience with each individually to improve response-- stays, leave its, recalls, impulse control etc

5. add dogs back together with least dangerous pair first practice, see how it goes

If their needs are met and they have a strong bond and good leadership then they can learn to be neutral with each other even if they don't get along necessarily.

That's what you could possibly accomplish by a temporary crate and rotate.

Last but not least, it's safer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Hi @gslover60 , we donít allow multiple accounts. Your second @sparkle account will be closed. Your threads will stay open and you can respond using your original username.

- ADMIN
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 PM

I have a small sh itzu and a GSD. They have been in a few fights. It's usually the little guy trying to protect my wife when she comes home. He doesn't have to but feels he needs to. He will attack Ringo, my GSD and Ringo thinks it's a joke at first until Toby latches on somewhere. We stopped it by crating Toby and being very stern with him. Ringo was just trying to protect himself. (Ringo is the puppy and Toby is 8 yrs old) We rarely leave them in the same room together. If we do it's not for very long and they have to be in a calm mood when we leave the room or Toby comes with us.

He wouldn't last 10 seconds with Ringo if things went bad. I really hope things go good for you. I wish I had advice to offer. Well...no, I have had dogs all my life but never more than two so I guess I shouldn't comment as I have no experience with more than two.You really have to watch small dogs though, I know that, especially when bigger dogs are present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page