stuck on Stranger Danger issues - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
This is where I wish we could directly communicate with dogs to tell them that humans have to submit to stupid annoying doctor visits all the time. That no one likes these things, but they have to be done so we just sit quiet and tolerate it.
I know! Last time I went to the dentist, the anesthesia had not kicked in 100% yet...when he drilled, I sure felt it. I stopped him by mumbling "ow!" but if I was a dog, I probably would have bitten him good for how that felt!

Can dogs still take treats through a cloth muzzle?
Just wondering! The cloth ones do seem easy to use.

I do hope he just learns to "submit".
We shall see. :-)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
I know! Last time I went to the dentist, the anesthesia had not kicked in 100% yet...when he drilled, I sure felt it. I stopped him by mumbling "ow!" but if I was a dog, I probably would have bitten him good for how that felt!

Can dogs still take treats through a cloth muzzle?
Just wondering! The cloth ones do seem easy to use.

I do hope he just learns to "submit".
We shall see. :-)
Yes, they can. Small treats anyway--like cat/small dog treat sized.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

So I was tempted to get a cloth muzzle...so inexpensive, and easy to use!
But it said thAt it fits more snugly, so harder for dogs to pant. Rumo is always hot and panting at 70 degrees ( half husky) so I think he will be more relaxed in basket muzzle, especially if we have a wait. Just will train him to wear it...right now he avoids, and waves his head around. Treats will change his mind, ha ha.

Re the drugs ( sedative: trazodone): I had slipped him his two pills and was taking a short walk before driving to vet for his vaccinations. He was so dopey. His tail was hanging down and he was plodding along beside me. A lady across the street with energetic dog shouted, “I wish my dog walked so well on leash!” I said, “ thanks! But he has been drugged...”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 PM
Elite Member

Some dogs will never submit to handling by strangers- they will hurt themselves and possibly you and others if you force it. I can't tell you what kind of dog you have, but it should be pretty easy to tell. With my big male trazodone wouldn't do anything. I give him vaccines, do basic medical care, handling, I've even thought about learning to do blood draw, and maybe will in future. If he needs something big done, like when he had a freak accident and got a stick wedged into his belly, then I gave him the initial sedative and stayed with him during the procedure. I am there when he goes to sleep and there when he wakes up (I have great vets).

When he ran into a porcupine, same thing. I even pulled most of the quills and got a discount (yay).

It's not exactly ideal, but if the dog is easily handled by you and not aggressive to family and handler, and is controlled and managed in life, and can walk down the street without freaking out... well, I consider that a win overall. Just set up a clear plan with the vet if there is an emergency, use a muzzle, try to do most of the handling yourself.

I think think the muzzle plan is a good one, and the advice is good for your average 'testy' dog, but there are dogs out there, that, simply won't accept strangers' handling. They can pass the check in for IPO, but that is about it. Some really great dogs, in both sport and police/working are this way. I don't necessarily consider it a fault. It depends on the dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

@Muskeg
Yea, thank you for saying it is not necessarily a fault. I feel like only GSD owners could understand!

I see all the small / midsize tame dogs being handled, licking people, wagging their tails, the vet techs are smiling, and I feel embarrassed about my big, growly (possibly dangerous) dog...I wish he could be handled as easily, but it will be a relief to muzzle-train him well and know that at least, the situation is safe ( even if he will never be a favorite at the vet!)

Wow-Impressive how many procedures you can do!!

Yes, Rumo submits to me and is very loyal/devoted.
I do not have faith in my medical skills however...I think nail trim is where I draw the line...with that, I can’t inflict permanent damage, ha ha.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:55 AM

My military dog, Fama, used to attack the Vet, techs, receptionists, anyone in the Vets office. She was always in muzzle and on a short leash. We used to go in the back door and right to the exam room. I did everything to her until she was sedated to keep the staff safe.

We spent some time just hanging out at the Vets office, rewarding for good behavior, corrections for bad behavior. Many frequent 5 minute visits with lots of OB and rewards. We had a great tech that would just hang out with Fama and play with her.

She loves the Vets office now. She still gets a muzzle for anything that may be painful, but gets her ball when it comes off.

I suggest you work at it. Over time it may get much better.
car2ner likes this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all,
I just wanted to report that the muzzling strategy worked!!

I trained him to wear a Baskerville basket muzzle - he is able to pant, take treats, drink, so he is comfortable wearing it.

As per instructions from previous visits, he had 2 trazodone pills 90 minutes before the veterianarian visit. He laid calmly in waiting room while I checked work email on my phone. Once we got into the exam room and we were alone, I put on the muzzle and gave him some bits of cheese and petting. He laid down on the floor and was just lying there when vet tech and vet came. This time, the vet let me stay with him and hold his head/talk to him while she drew blood (heartworm test), gave rabies vaccine, inspected ears, etc. And he was fine!!! Not exactly happy, but not growling or attacking either. He is apparently the type that, once the muzzle is on, he submits. Also he is lot more calm and less hostile towards them if I stay with him, and am touching him.

Problem solved! :-)
dogma13 and mkculs like this.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to add that the muzzling worked for the people too! This is one effect I didn't realize.

Everyone - from the vet tech, to the vet, to me, was much more relaxed and we actually were discussing things while vet was examining/treating him.

When the humans are at ease (not worrying about getting bitten by a large growling dog!), the whole atmosphere feels better, and Rumo seemed calmer too. phew.
dogma13 and mkculs like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page