Success Stories! - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

I just want/feel the need to say this as a novice owner who for my level at the time felt that/knew I had much more dog for me. It was discussions such as this thread that became invaluable while working through things. All the input from others had value.

Success stories are helpful and needed at times but at some point before that success, the novice has to be willing to look at their dog subjectively lay all excuses (not that the op is excusing her dog, just in general) at the curb and willing to choose and pick their battles wisely. There is no room for fear of the dog. None. No room to allow ones emotions to take hold. All of this has been said in this thread by experienced handlers. As a novice I just want to reiterate these.

How the novice goes about achieving this hopefully will be done in a manner that the dog will understand no matter the method chosen. I personally, from my only experience with my wl, it did not take many demands to make him understand the rules and my expectations of him.

Setting boundaries are an integral part of success stories.
Sabis mom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:11 PM

@Sabismom,
Was really impressed by story of Bud. I am so wimpy!
At the first bite, I think I would have figured I have "too much dog to handle" and would have given him back.
Rumo growled at me on the first night (foster mom told me to lead him into his crate by holding his collar, he refused to let me do it).
I was afraid of him for 2 days after that!
Not everyone can handle / deal with an aggressive dog.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
@Sabismom,
Was really impressed by story of Bud. I am so wimpy!
At the first bite, I think I would have figured I have "too much dog to handle" and would have given him back.
Rumo growled at me on the first night (foster mom told me to lead him into his crate by holding his collar, he refused to let me do it).
I was afraid of him for 2 days after that!
Not everyone can handle / deal with an aggressive dog.
I think you don't give yourself enough credit. I knew that if I gave up Bud was dead, literally and I was out of a job for having the audacity to question my boss's decision and then be wrong! Besides, in spite of moments where I was afraid, I never really thought he would hurt me. I was very wrong, but by the time I had put that together in my head it was all over.
There were moments I would have cheerfully throttled him myself, moments when I questioned my own sanity. Standing on a roof, in the dark, with a big dog snarling and snapping at you is one of those "aha" moments in your life. If I lost his focus, he was going to jump and break his fool neck. If I kept his focus I was getting bit. But in my mind if he was close enough to bite, he was close enough to catch, and I was praying I was strong enough to stop us both going down.
I think the first bite is the scariest, once you have been bitten once the second one is not so bad. I had already had one dog bite clean through my hand, another crush my arm, another tear my hip open and one tear up my leg. Not all dogs are appreciative of help. But you get smarter and faster and learn from your mistakes.

I don't think the OP has an aggressive dog. It sounds like a dog that may be a bit afraid, which tells me that attempts at communicating have gone sideways. All things being equal this is the type of dog that I would probably put in a run for a while. Spend time hanging out and watching but basically let him be and then start over. Back to basics. He may be a bit of a jerk but the description given is that of a dog that is scared and frustrated.

And you @GSDchoice, should never have been told to crate a dog that way. That is provoking at best. All dogs in my house are taught to kennel on command and I never push it except in an emergency. The foster had no business letting it happen, and no dog in my care would have been available if it would not kennel on command.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 10-07-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page