German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog attacking puppies

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Springbrz 
#1 ·
I have 2 female German shepherd dogs . I had puppies 6 weeks old the other 4 weeks old. The mother of the 4 week old puppies violently attacked 4 of the other dogs pups. The pups are going to be ok. The dog that attacked them is very jealous when I show attention to anything else and not her. Idk what to do with her now, she is even being mean to her own puppies. Any suggestions

#4 ·
Oh my goodness. I'm glad the pups are going to be okay. I've never bred dogs, so I can't offer any advice regarding the mother being mean to her own pups, but I do have some experience with dogs that don't get along. I think you'll have to keep the two females and their litters seperate. I'm inclined to think a mother dog would require privacy with her litter and wouldn't necessary welcome another female dog and pups--but as I said I am just a pet-owner.

#6 ·
Please don't rehome the pups too soon because of convenience issues. 8 weeks is the youngest to leave the litter. Can you find a different temporary home (boarding) for one litter and their mom to live in peace? This stress can very well affect the pups temperament-wise. Pretty bad situation.

#13 ·
"The mother of the 4 week old puppies violently attacked 4 of the other dogs pups"

so why did this female have access to the other litter?

I am telling you she is stressed to the hilt .

she may be needing that food , desparatly for herself - do not feed her in the same area as the pups . Period.
feed her outside.

why do you have two litters? That might be harsh , but it is a legitimate question .
other question , is this the first litter for either of the females, and is this your first time to breed.

no female with poor mothering skills should ever be allowed to breed again.

I wouldn't be so cavalier to say the other pups are , will, be okay. How okay?

will they have fear aggression , social problems around other dogs in the future?

maybe harsh but agree with Sabis 100% "This is why people should not randomly breed dogs."

sorry --

#18 ·
So correct me if I read wrong but you are saying that you had a pregnant female and took in (rescued) a pregnant female while both were pregnant? So you have a new to the home dog that was pregnant trying to adjust to new surroundings while pregnant. Then your own dog whelps a litter at the same time?

Wow! That has to be beyond stressful for both dogs and the pups. You as well. This situation doesn't sound good. Any way you can contact a GSD rescue group for help? Maybe they can help with a foster for the newer dog and her litter. Any chance you can get help from one of your co-worker with a temp home for the newer dog and her pups until it's time to place them?

Which Female is being aggressive? Your own dog or the rescue dog? It makes a difference in understanding the situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.