Hi guys. I'm asking for some really good input...not a good day. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:39 PM

A husband that smacks him with newspaper for peeing and pooping, a mother in law that kicks him, kids taking pig ears away. Poor boy!

I went back and read through your previous threads. You got a lot of solid advice (I listed a few below). In these threads, I saw lots of frustration and drama as a puppy worked your nerves. I saw you frequently say that you were going to get a trainer. But, I also saw how much you love your dog! It's wonderful that you love him so. I wish every dog were that loved.

But, you have got to handle this. The behavior has escalated with this dog from day one, and nothing has been done to alleviate the situation. You are getting very close to the point that your kids are at risk (in an earlier post, you said that he'd already growled and nipped at the kids). But, at the same time, you are putting the dog that you love in great danger as well. When he does bite and harm someone (note that I said when, not if), you may be required to put him down depending on where you are. You will end up with a dog that must be crated all the time, except this dog is not crate trained, so his option will be to be placed in a kennel outside, which will only make things worse for both him and your family. Please, you simply MUST get some help that will teach YOU how to handle this dog! If not, be prepared to have your kids scarred by a dog bite and to have a dog that must be killed due to aggression.

Wolfy Dog said: Reminds me of a quote: If you treat them like people, they will treat you like a dog. (He is treating you like a dog. You are not a dog. You've gotta do something!)

Cloudpump said: You need a trainer that will train you.

Bramble said: You are giving him way too much freedom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This source says that neutering is not always a fix for aggression and can make things worse. The ?Quick Fix??: Neutering As A Treatment For Aggression ? Dr. Jen's Dog Blog

I'm not a behavioral expert but I think that it's conflicting messages and environment more than hormones causing issues here.

I also have read an article, which of course I cannot find right now, saying that neutering can actually increase aggressiveness if the aggression is not sexual. The study was done on quite a big sample of dogs. The drive for the article was due to the fact that not many dogs get neutered in Europe in comparison to NA. Food for thought. Maybe someone read the same article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[email protected] likes this.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava&Phoenix View Post
I also have read an article, which of course I cannot find right now, saying that neutering can actually increase aggressiveness if the aggression is not sexual. The study was done on quite a big sample of dogs. The drive for the article was due to the fact that not many dogs get neutered in Europe in comparison to NA. Food for thought. Maybe someone read the same article.

Was this the article?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ed-or-neutered

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post

Yes! Saving it lol

post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

I hope the OP called a trainer. This could be a very serious situation if it's not stopped now.

post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:43 PM
Crowned Member

After all the help we offered last year, this doesn't surprise me.
I posted the following on 9/29/2017: "First of all, so glad that you guys are OK.
Now back to the dog. It was to be expected and no surprise to me regarding the earlier threads and the dog not being taken seriously but mainly loved and cuddled. This is just the start. Time to hire a good trainer and not let the kids or dog get away with anything. Having gone through all this turmoil of the hurricane is no excuse to not train him. A sound temperamented dog can handle this and it is history for the dog.
Do not punish growling as it will result in a direct bite later on. Consider the growl a warning and a red flag to get you involved in controlling this young dog. He is close to biting and doing a lot of damage. Then what?"

Now you posted, "always happy for the most part and sits on command, waits for his treats....he is our family dog". This is all you are expecting from him? I think pretty soon you have a bigger problem on your hands and most likely the dog has to pay the ultimate price. Sorry to be blunt but I have seen this too often in the head lines,"x-breed kills child in an unprovoked attack." Most attacks are not unprovoked. Instead people have ignored or not understood warning signs. These dogs are failed by their humans and started out as live stuffed animals but their animal needs, instincts and reflexes ignored. But you have had good advice least year.
[email protected] likes this.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 PM
Master Member

This is sad given all the good advice you had.

Either change your act or find a better home that can give this dog what he needs. He has zero boundaries, limited training, no guidance, what do you expect ? You need to hire a trainer to train YOU or give the dog to someone more capable.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

Unfortunately, I remember quite a few of your previous threads. You have had a lot of issues with this dog. I'm sorry that is has been so difficult for all of you, but others have given you clear, solid advice which seems to have gone mostly ignored. I know that it has been mentioned before that he might be too much "dog" for you, and that seems to be the case again.

Get a trainer or re-home the dog. At this point, re-homing the dog seems like the best option because you keep having issue after issue. I do not mean to sound harsh or rude, but I think you need a serious wake-up call. Sitting on command is not a huge accomplishment. This dog needs MUCH more training, boundaries, stability, and much less babying.

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
At this point, re-homing the dog seems like the best option because you keep having issue after issue. I do not mean to sound harsh or rude, but I think you need a serious wake-up call. Sitting on command is not a huge accomplishment. This dog needs MUCH more training, boundaries, stability, and much less babying.
This is the best advice you could get in this situation. I know for sure that we all mean this in a respectful way. You all will be happier, including your dog who is not living to his potential at all. Please rehome him before you have to put him down. Consider it a lesson learned. We all have had these lessons on our plates and made us better dog owners/trainers.
Then take a break and if you still decide to get a dog, get a good old soul who has proven to be a good family dog.
OP, thank for being honest through this all. Keep everyone safe and the dog as well.
Muskeg and CometDog like this.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Can you call the breeder?
WIBackpacker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page