My GSD attacked my small dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

My GSD attacked my small dog

Earlier today my 2.5 year old gsd attacked my 5 year old shorkie she grabbed her and started to do the kill shake thank God we were where we could hear the yelps and we're home.... I'm concerned because this is the first time she has shaken her but not gone for her hackles up normally it's just the nose push and nip and then done but even after my hubby grabbed our little dog she continued to go for her and she didn't want to let go initially what concerns me is i have a 3 year old and 5 month old and she growls whenever they get to close and they back off but of she's trying to kill a dog she's known her whole life what can she do to my kids and she's not our first gsd she's our 5th and we have never had any issues with any of the others.... I'm very concerned the next time we won't be home and something is going to happen...we live with my in laws and it is their dog and they aren't wanting to give her up and wanting to keep her separated from the other but that's not always going to be the case any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:13 AM
Elite Member

Given what happened here, would you really rely on the internet for advice? With small children? Ummm... you need to hire a good trainer/behaviorist to assess the situation first hand before someone or a dog gets hurt. Until then you keep the two dogs separated, no excuses. Or move out. And you never let the GSD near the children unless she is leashed and very closely under your control. You should read about female/female aggression in dogs.

You really better get serious here.
Muskeg and Mudypoz like this.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

I have seeked training advice with this all first started I'm sorry that I'm looking for help from people with experience versus multiple trainers who said to put her down when she had yet to do something like this I apologize if I've some how offended you with seeking help my bad for that also my children are not allowed around her and we can't move out as there are personal reasons as to why and wow I read thru some post and every seemed helpful but of course I get the one person who decides to be rude about it thanks for your unneeded advice but I have already figured out what you stated a while ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 AM
Crowned Member

Keep the dogs separate and keep the GSD away from your children. I get personal reasons but it is still up to you to keep your children safe.
Is the GSD yours or does she belong to the in laws?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

She belongs to my in laws and they are kept away from her and the little dog is separated my Fear is they aren't understanding how bug of and issue this truly is I've seen a gsd that got ahold of a small dog and didn't stop going for her till she killed her.... they kept her kennel ed and the little dog out the gsd escaped and we for the kill fast I've seen it happen and I've told them about this the small dog is sleeping in our room and stays with me or my mother in law thru out the day my 3 year was outback playing with all 3 dogs which was had been doing all day long nothing provoked it she went go for her then the small dog went to fight back and the gsd grabbed her she's not your typical breeding either like the other gsd I have had she's smaller and supposedly czech breeding
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Crowned Member

How many dogs are in the house? And who owns the others?

Listen, I'm about 2 days away from homeless, I get tough times. You may need to stay with your in laws, but that doesn't mean that they get to run your life. Your children need to be kept away from the dog. Period. You don't need to make a scene about it, you simply remove them. If the other dog is yours, same rules apply. If it isn't, frankly, it's none of your business.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeldoras View Post
Earlier today my 2.5 year old gsd attacked my 5 year old shorkie she grabbed her and started to do the kill shake ..... initially what concerns me is i have a 3 year old and 5 month old and she growls whenever they get to close and they back off ...we live with my in laws and it is their dog and they aren't wanting to give her up and wanting to keep her separated from the other but that's not always going to be the case any advice?
First, get professional help. IME, there isn't a "fix" to the dog aggression. The dog has reached maturity is who she is. The main thing is management. Separation. And you ALL have to be on top of your game! This is crate and rotate and close doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeldoras View Post
I have seeked training advice with this all first started I'm sorry that I'm looking for help from people with experience versus multiple trainers who said to put her down
Put her down for what? For growling at the kids? So, every time she growls and the kids back off she gains confidence. You really need a professional trainer for this. You need someone who has stellar timing for a correction and a reward for doing the right thing. I wouldn't let her around the kids at this time.

What area do you live? Maybe someone knows of a good trainer for you?

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:35 AM

OP, nobody is trying to be rude.Just trying to express this is a serious problem that can't be solved by internet advice.

The dog should not be around the kids or other dogs.
You need a hands on trainer to teach you the management skills you need.

ASAP!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
How many dogs are in the house? And who owns the others?

Listen, I'm about 2 days away from homeless, I get tough times. You may need to stay with your in laws, but that doesn't mean that they get to run your life. Your children need to be kept away from the dog. Period. You don't need to make a scene about it, you simply remove them. If the other dog is yours, same rules apply. If it isn't, frankly, it's none of your business.
Sabi, is there anything we can do to help?
CelticGlory and dogma13 like this.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
I can understand the frustration of having multiple trainers saying pts. I dealt with that on Woolf. I finally found one who was willing to work with us and do more then go for the quick fix. With that being said, my situation is different then yours; I do not have small children in the house all the time. You can search back through previous threads on the steps I take for when my grandson is here visiting. EVERYONE is on board with the program and understands the ramifications if the ball is dropped.

Your post reads that this is your in-laws dog. You have the Yorkie. As others have said - 100% management; crate and rotate. Trainer with verifiable experience with aggressive dogs brought in. The dog is growling at your kids - take it for it is; a warning. Keep your kids separated from the dog.

As something to think about; consider the interaction between the 2 dogs. Is it possible there may have been some stink eye, other snarky behavior from the Yorkie? Add on top of that 2 females.

You refused the suggestion before but - your kids safety is the priority. It may be if some kind of management agreement can't be hashed out with the in-laws you may have to consider relocating regardless of the circumstances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page