German Shepherds Forum banner

hiking in the rain?

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
Hi there, my dog and I have been hiking for a few months now but as the weather gets more inclement, I wonder if I can take him for 8 miles in the rain. I have a rain coat for him, but over 5-6 hours I am not sure if it will be of much use. He is a little over 2 years old and has done that distance several times in the past.

Thoughts and advice would be awesome. Including a pic of Munch for attention :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I grew up in the PNW. Our dogs, farm dogs, all lived outside mostly, and could and did easily go all day in the rain without a problem! Chihuahuas might need raincoats, GSDs not so much. Go, enjoy, your dog will be fine!

#4 ·
I take my dogs out in the rain often. The only time I might be concerned is if it is around 40 degrees, and windy, and you stop for a while in a windy spot- or if you are camping and have no way to keep him dry and he's wet with temps dropping below freezing.

Otherwise, he'll be fine- GSDs are meant to be out in the elements, getting the job done.

#11 ·
I live in the PNW, no need for a dog to wear a rain coat. Only the outer coat gets wet. The undercoat is nice and wooly and dry. I finally found the best raincoat for me at LLBean, it reaches below the knees and keeps me dry. Boots along with it and we can go for hours. It seems that only the diehards are out with their dogs in this rainy weather so the trails are pretty safe.
During our Whippet days, they stayed home next to the wood stove while I walked the rain proof dog. I had coats for them because they don't have an undercoat.

#17 ·
Awesome Thank you all for the insight :) We are going up Mailbox peak this weekend and now my mind is more at ease taking Munch along.

Mud is definitely a killer, likely have to take him to some diy groomer to wash him off :D

#18 ·
We go out and about in all weather...
My dog doesn't mind Rain at all unless it's a heavy downpour or he hears a lot of Thunder (then he'll try to turn for home).

When we get home, I blot him dry on his back/top of head
(his shake shake gets rid of the rest of the water really well, but his back will stay soaking wet for hours without help.)
For muddy paws we have him walk in over towels laid in the hall.

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.