German Shepherds Forum banner

Malinois Walks Tightrope Blindfolded!

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Wow it's amazing. He even turned around at the end! And carrying the rope in his mouth too!

I wonder if he wears the blindfold so he doesn't realize how close he is to the ground.
If I were him, I'd easily just jump to the ground once I saw how close it was.

#4 ·
That was a really neat, cool, interesting vid to watch. Watching that mal tightrope reminds me of how a stick bug and some chameleons walk on a plant. And the one walking the stairs has better posture than many bipeds. Lol

My guess, holding the rope in,his mouth helps him either to balance and/or keep spacially aware of the two tight ropes. Maybe like whhat a walking cane does for a blind person.

Thanks for posting and,good to see you. :)

#6 · (Edited)
The Mali sure doesn't look happy about it. What a crappy thing to do to a dog.
@JonRob - I had exactly the same reaction you did. People using their dog for social media notoriety. It's like watching a dancing bear or lions jumping hoops in a circus -- yeah, it can do what it has to do to perform, but should it? Meh.

The dog wasn't wearing a harness clipped to a rope on a pulley to catch him in case of a fall, either -- he's probably had some hard falls learning to do that. I'm also not a fan of teaching a dog to walk up stairs on its hind legs just for lols --their bodies aren't made for that.

#7 ·
Am I the only one that gets an unpleasant tingle in my nether regions when I see something that scares me? I couldn’t watch the whole video. I will say, Mal’s are certainly impressive! I couldn’t even imagine what it would take to train a dog, any dog, to do something like that!

#8 ·
I wish the person who had posted the video had added some details about their training and goals. It would be interesting to know if this was done for entertainment or practical purposes. Brave and impressive dog either way. Some of the FB commentators suggested the dog was in training for search and rescue and that the blindfold and the ropes were to teach the dog to rely on other senses--if for instance, they were searching in a totally dark place among rubble or something. Seems pretty extreme to me, but I know next to nothing about search/rescue.

#9 ·
I was out earlier today and over heard two people talking about a dog sky diving and where are the brains of the owner. My first thought, dog in training, many need to master it for the work they do but didn't say anything. If nothing else, the Mal sure isn't going to stumble for lack of foot placement awareness.

#10 ·
I have watched video twice last week and every time it gives me a bad taste in my mouth. Sure, training this dog was impressive but honestly I thought, "yuck, did it really have to come this far?" I felt sad for the dog and I didn't want to watch that video here. It didn't look like the dog had fun. And no, I am not jealous.

#11 · (Edited)
I watched the video again the dogs eyes are covered it’s hard to see if he is happy or not Tail is not between his legs and looks like nor does he look timid. He does look focused though that is for sure no doubt and hel bent in completing the task. I would imagine that’s the only thing you can feel doing something like that though at the moment- focused.
Also it was an officer posting it so I assume for police,or sar work. I did not see it was from a circus or entertainment outfit at all. I have seen videos of a malinois scale houses from the ground to the roof top doing police work. Not sure how they do it but impressive. Watch peta get a hold of it and go ape %^!

#12 ·
Would need more context. Goal of this? Previous experience of the dog? What tasks is he expected to do in life? Maybe he does have to search crumbled building in the dark. I don't know. What I do know is going viral wasn't the best thing for this video or for regular people who may buy them based on expectations.

Some military dogs have to jump out of planes. Some people take a little pet dog skydiving for a lark (don't even ask). Same, but VERY different.

#13 ·
Cool dog! My girl Tuke figured out how to climb a ladder on her own. She wanted up in the kids tree house for some reason. She has never been an agile dog, very determined though and it wasn’t always pretty either. I finally had to put a stop to it as her descents we’re getting a bit dangerous.

#15 · (Edited)
I believe this dog is a canine officer. I have to admit that when I first saw it, it bothered me a little bit, and maybe on some level it still does, but then again, I am a softie. I have never owned a malinois, but I have always heard about their tremendous need for both physical and mental stimulation. I don't think this was just a facebook trick, I think it was a challenge for the dog or maybe even something that might be useful in his job and I think the dog was more focused than unhappy. Now, I have tremendous respect for some of the people who didn't like the video and it may be that I am wrong, but that is how I see it and why I posted it. Also, there was a comment made by someone about a hard fall, but if you look the line doesn't look like it's more than a couple of feet off the ground.

#16 ·
I believe this dog is a canine officer. I have to admit that when I first saw it, it bothered me a little bit, and maybe on some level it still does, but then again, I am a softie. I have never owned a malinois, but I have always heard about their tremendous need for both physical and mental stimulation. I don't think this was just a facebook trick, I think it was a challenge for the dog and I think the dog was more focused than unhappy. Now, I have tremendous respect for some of the people who didn't like the video and it may be that I am wrong, but that is how I see it and why I posted it. Also, there was a comment made by someone about a hard fall, but if you look the line doesn't look like it's more than a couple of feet off the ground.
Height wise it looks pretty low risk. There is older video with a mal a good 10-12’ above the ground. Not the same dog and out of China if I remember correctly.

#18 ·
Well! I would like to say impressive training. And amazing dog.
But you can clearly see the dog shaking. It's tail isn't tucked only because it is using it to help balance and just to top it off I can't imagine that being good for joints or feet.
I asked Sabs to do some pretty out there things, because I needed her to and MWD are asked for things no pet dog would or should do. But I can see no practical or needed purpose to that.

#19 · (Edited)
Slack lines are a big thing it builds strengths and confidence it kids and adults. I was never a gifted slack liner or kept up with it still have the kit somewhere. My intentions were good and it was fun. It is pretty cool to see what people can do with those slack lines.

This dog is named Lachi and a police dog doing some serious border patrol. I can see why balance is important in some of the things he has to scale at work on his Facebook page. The dog looks like he is prepared for anything it takes lots of balance and strength and patience to do this. I can only see that be benefiting to his work and the only reason why I can see anyone doing this. Definitely not your average dog type of thing. On his Facebook page he looks like a happy dog.

#22 ·
Special dog- I wouldn't do this but maybe I couldn't train it anyway! It just looks really hard on the joints to me. Mentally for the dog I see no issues. My dogs love a challenge, when we are hiking there are some rock faces I try to lead them around and mostly they won't have it and just go up or down without me seeing where they got a foothold.

The thing that worries me is the jump down- hard on the joints for any living creature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.