German Shepherds Forum banner

We met our New Puppy!!!! Travel Advice!!

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  dojoson41 
#1 ·
We went up to NJ this weekend to see our Puppy! OMG the were so adorable! They were right around 5 weeks old, so stinking cute. I was basically on the floor with them and was just one giant teething ring lol! So we are headed back up in early May when they are 8 weeks to pick up our boy. We are flying to NJ, renting a car and driving him home.

Thoughts on what supplies we will need... Clearly collar, leash, food, water.... The breeder is going to send us home with a frozen marrow bone to occupy him and based on my past experiences, definitely towels in case of car sickness. Any thoughts on what else do we need? There are 2 of us so one will be with him while the other drives. We are going to try to get down as quickly as possible - I just have no desire to put him on a plane and she said she could have gotten him to Atlanta with one of her handlers but we both felt having that bonding time with us is super important.

Thanks in advance!!!

#2 ·
Congrats!! What litter if you don't mind sharing? I'm in NJ.

The puppy will only need the basics of what you listed. He will most likely sleep a lot. Do you have a crate for travel? NJ nails you with a 500 dollar ticket for an unrestrained animal in the car even if he is on your lap. A few other stated have similar laws. He may like the security of a crate too.

The only other thing I would add to your list is chucks or wee wee pads. Since you're traveling the pup will have to relive himself outside in public places and there could be a risk of parvo. I don't mean to scare you but our fox and coyotes here have been dropping parvo positive stool. Don't put him down in any pet stores, lowes, pets welcome places or anything like that along the way. I'd just put a wee pad down in the grass where you want him to go and do a quick ground check for obvious stool.

I have an 8 week old pup flying in from Houston this week. I didn't road trip to get him because I didn't want to put him down to pee outside at like 2 different hotels and grassy areas along the way for 2.5 days. But, Florida is a straighter shot.

Good luck and post pictures when you get him!

#4 ·
I actually did think about that!!!! and now its on the list :)

Was thinking about picking up a small crate on our way to pick him up and then donate it once we get home. I didn't realize that about NJ - I've only been in Florida for a year - and drove around with my dogs ALL the time in the back seat :eek:

We are getting him from Karin Wagner - Alkarah. Sasha is from there. She's been such a fabulous dog we just had to do it again! He's a Wolfie/Ruby son. We *think* we know which is him - she has a specific "type" in mind but the boy who was climbing all over us and chewing us just may be the one!

#5 ·
and actually... since its been 11 + years since my last puppy.... Collar recommendations?

#6 ·
If you're planning to stop along the way (not sure how long a trip this is), you want something he can't slip out of, either a martingale or a harness. For his regular collar, an inexpensive nylon one would be the most practical since he'll be outgrowing it soon.

Reactions: Clare and CometDog
#8 ·
I admit I was paranoid about parvo but I couldn't find a small box of puppy pads anyway. The box I found on Amazon was like 60 pads or something. Before the trip I used duct tape on the backside to make larger pads that were 2 x 2 normal pads in size. As it turns out my little guy decided to poop and pee in between places I could stop on the interstate. He didn't wait for me (obviously) so he just did it in his crate. Not ideal but we dealt with it.

The parvo risk is real though. Two different vets gave me the advice of "just put him in the crate and drive straight home". I only had a 9 hour drive but still. When I asked for alternatives, one vet said if I really had to take him out "just drive into a farm field with no livestock". That seemed a little extreme but when a vet tells you to drive your car offroad and into someone's property ... well, that seemed serious to me.

#10 ·
The parvo risk is real though. Two different vets gave me the advice of "just put him in the crate and drive straight home". I only had a 9 hour drive but still. When I asked for alternatives, one vet said if I really had to take him out "just drive into a farm field with no livestock". That seemed a little extreme but when a vet tells you to drive your car offroad and into someone's property ... well, that seemed serious to me.
Yeah, my vet was pretty adamant too. She said you can fix an accident on a pee pad in a crate much easier than parvo. When I was reading up on the frequency or parvo infection in fox, I just had to stop reading. They have been in my yard before. But, you can't live in a bubble. You can just stack the deck in your favor and bit your nails for another 8 weeks. I also had a completely unfounded raccoon roundworm scare with my first born (I read about and she had some variety of animal poo in her mouth the day before at the park). And of course a brain eating amoeba scare here and there. Only with the first though lol By the third you reason that goose poop is good for their immune system. (it's not, it's filthy).

#9 ·
I second the notion of a crate. Could be a life-saver in more ways than one. I also recommend lining it with the pee pads, both to catch an accident as well as to catch the likely puke. I put towels in my crate when I brought my pup home (we had a 6 hour drive) and when she threw up within the first half-hour of that drive....hooooo boy, the smell! Would have been nice to just chuck some pee pads into the trash with that mess.

I got a name tag with my phone number and put it on an inexpensive nylon collar. I also got a harness for her because I was paranoid about her slipping the collar if she got scared during a stop. She outgrew the harness within the first couple of days of coming home, so don't spend too much money on that.

Ack....late for an appointment, so I've gotta dash! Good luck!!

Reactions: Cassidy's Mom
#11 ·
Add baby wipes and garbage bags to your list. Risky time of year for parvo so be vigilante. Get the large pee pads and I would invest in the cheapy, disposable drop sheet things to put down under them. Don't reuse them once they are on the ground, bag them and toss them.
I like martingale collars, I've had too many pups slip harnesses. I always keep leash and collar on even in the crate while travelling. Rescue transports agree the risk is outweighed by the safety of having something to grab should the puppy spook and bolt. Also a cheap tag with your contact info on it.
Experience makes me keep a change of clothes in the car, one too many puppies have either puked or peed on me and it isn't fun having to sit in gross clothes. Lol.

#13 ·
About 9 years ago, Walgrens had the best bargain on piddle pads. $10 for 50 or so. Piddle pad in the crate can be helpful. So far as finding a safe place - out west I'd recommend driving off the interstate at an intersection/off ramp but not stopping right there - go a few miles further on because lots of people seem to pull over at the off ramps to toilet their dogs. I just don't see a lot of luck in directing a pup to pee on a piddle pad in the open air.

For a crate, you could do a soft sided crate which could come in handy if you decide to fly your next pup home with you. (Mine's 10 years old, used on one trip...) Back seat is also safest for the pup (air bag deployed would be fatal). The trip can be fun, you can manage this safely. Good luck, have fun.

#14 ·
Change of clothes for sure!!!! When we brought Sasha home, she puked on me twice. And that was a two hour trip. I actually have that 50 pack of pads from Wolfgang when he was sick last year. He ended up not really needing them so I have about 45 left of the 50. I do think I'm going with the soft sided crate. I have a gift card for Amazon so I can get one really inexpensively. Looking at Martingale collars - I'm guessing at this point an extra small 10-14" would suffice? Yes!!! I have to order a tag too!!!

Reactions: Sabis mom
#15 · (Edited)
Very exciting congrats. Max’s breeder was old school and not on Facebook or have webpage so glad I did visit pups when a few weeks old. I have videos of max letting be known as a mommas boy. We brought a crate each time picking up our pup but did not use it. The crate was used though next to the upstairs bed until it was grown out of and by that time was adjusted to the larger crate in kitchen. The drive was about three hours or more with traffic. Each pup in the back seat with kids - max a baby noob and on my daughters lap the entire ride- max did vomit once. Good to bring a extra towel and some wipes. When picking up Luna my kids brought some of the good house blankets - glad Luna did not get sick would not advise lol! I would listen to the advise about wee wee pads. Also Max’s breeder warned us about not stopping at pet stores along the way or back home. there were two very large puppy stores along the way that recently had a outbreak of parvo- that was in NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
OMG!!!!!! I love those photos!!!!!! Yea, i have no intentions of bringing him into any stores until he's fully vaccinated!!! I'm paranoid enough about a hotel room for the night, hence a crate. Whoever isn't driving will be in the back seat with him. Maybe I can rent one of your kids for the ride to Florida??

#19 ·
we have a backseat cover we keep in the car that's microfiber on the front and a water proof material on the back. It has straps that go over the headrests on the back seat and velcored slits for seat belts to go thru. You can throw in the washer and I just let it hang dry outside as needed! Would be good on the trip home and afterward for hair and any wet accidents!! I was taking my now passed senior GSD home from the vet and after we got him in the car he just stood and peed!!! I just folded it over went home and the seat was completely dry!! I got it at petsmart but don't remember the brand, but it really worked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.