German Shepherds Forum banner

Safe chews for puppies

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  LRP 
#1 ·
I was looking for some chews for my 4 month old puppy. She doesn't really chew on rubber toys. I've tried bully sticks which keep her busy and loves them but they cause her to have diarrhea. I've heard about the yak chews but when I checked them out they seemed too hard for her puppy teeth. Any recommendations

#2 ·
i'm sorry i dont' understand what you mean by safe "CHEWS".
are you talking about actual SOFT chews? or you want HARD chews that are safe for puppies.

i actually stay away from anything hard after reading some of the comments from members here.

pig ears, deer antlers, anything of that sort, that can be broken off and ingested in big sharp pieces.
didn't feel like worht the trouble.

my dog almost turns 3 and i have never gave him anything hard.

#4 ·
I have been giving my 4 & 5 month old GSD Cow Ears, they are large and soften as they chew them. They do not come off in large, hard, sharp pieces. They are also larger then pig ears and lower in fat. My dogs love them but usually can each get them down to a swallowing size in a few hours, which is when I take them and toss them so there is no fear of swallowing whole. Just make sure you choose ones NOT from China, Not overly bleached or processed looking and make sure the metal rings have been removed before drying (you would see the metal ring when you looked through the ear).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.