German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Balancing Act: Housebreaking, Sensitive Tummy, and Reactivity
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:10 PM
Jax08
Crowned Member

As far as reactivity, there are a lot of different ideas of "reactive" and each might be handled a little differently depending on the dog. A cookie cutter response may not help you.

Personally, in most cases unless it's just a flat out fearful dog, I don't care if they like other dogs or people. They just have to respect their right to exist. Have you ever just told him No in a way a dog would understand? You can't correct reactivity but you can correct an ignored command. React, Sit, no sit?-Correct, Sit? Reward. Often I see these "reactive" dogs as ones that nobody is taking charge of so they feel they have to take charge. They can't even think because they are so far into a tantrum. Quite often, when you tell them they can't behave this way, they will calm down and only then can they actually think. Giving them a command helps them think. But they can not do that while they are reacting.

Ideally you want to get them into a command and into engagement with you prior to their reacting. Which leads to the next question....what have you done to work on engagement with this puppy? Are you just letting him sit and focus on the things that he reacts to? In my world, the sport world, my dog should be focused on me. Can he look? Absolutely. But he can not FOCUS in on an object and behave like a bone head. THe more engagement you have with this puppy, the less he will react to every outside force because what he will want is to play with you.

I would never use a halti, or any other harness. There is so much information out there showing how they are bad for the dogs. Please google this. First you have no control over the dog. Think about it, if you had your head forced down unnaturally for extended periods of time and when you pulled it cranked it unnaturally, would that not hurt? Think about the damage to the spine from the position and to the natural muscular development of the dog. IMO, that is worse than a correction from a prong collar. As a note, I do not like choke collars except in specific situations. They can to easily cause damage to the trachea and that damage can not be fixed.

I'm willing to be your group class is at a major corporation. I've been in the store when these "trainers" are working. Some of it has been downright dangerous with out of control aggressive dogs.

Dogs can not digest vegetables. Especially dehydrated vegetables. There is no value to this. If the dog has soft stool on certain foods then I would look at reasons such as SIBO, IBD. Food allergies are RARE. I don't care what keyboard warriors say. Been there, done that with my dog and food allergies are rare per every vet I've consulted with. So look into medical causes such as parasites, SIBO, IBD or even just simply stress. Stressing a dog will cause soft stools as well. Low fat meat bits would be my go to in this case.

Last edited by Jax08; 03-03-2019 at 02:33 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome