German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Dog park blues...
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
tim_s_adams
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
The day someone else's dog corrects my puppy, we are going to have issues. I'd never allow my dog to correct someone else's puppy, nor allow my puppy to be corrected.
1. I dont trust you to be dog savvy enough to know anything about dog behavior. Ill assume you are a fur mom.
2. Things can escalate quickly. Especially at a dog park.
3. I'd be mortified if my dog hurt some unknown puppy, or if I was making some other owner uncomfortable because I claimed to be dog savvy, because I read it somewhere.
Good points actually. Can I assume that you don't and never have taken your dog to a dog park?

Dog savy or not, there are certain things that are sort of universal for all dogs...and one of these is dogs schooling older puppies. And by schooling I mean sort of putting them in their place rather roughly. I've seen lots of puppies go through this "hazing" and come out of it more confident and carefree around the same dogs that put them through it...

Be that as it may, I will say that some people are uncomfortable when any dog does anything with their precious baby other than licking it in the face...but that just isn't reality. Dogs have a way. I don't claim to fully understand it, but they do, it's universal, they all get it. So as long as nobody is getting hurt, I'm more inclined to watch and let it go.

That being said, I recall how it felt when my pup was 6-7 months old and got picked on...so I'm definitely sympathetic to these puppy owners, and will do whatever I need to to make sure their puppy is not harmed in any way!

But I agree with you completely, I'd be mortified if my dog ever hurt a puppy also! I won't let that happen...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome