German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Car crating options for large GSD
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:21 AM
CometDog
Elite Member

I did get the gate, and I love it. It is best for me for a few reasons, and this is why forums are good. Different perspectives and things maybe you would not have thought of.

It isn't as secure as a crate FOR THE DOG, but it will have to do. My reasons were I can't fit 2 regular airy metal or airline crates side by side without losing the 2nd row for my kids, and I could not find a single crate that had enough room for 2 dogs, excpet for the huge varicrate. With the gate, when I do not have the dogs I can still use the cargo space without having to ask for help moving very heavy crate/s out of truck. The double crate versions of these are very big and very heavy.

But this was the big reason quite frankly, this will only sound awful to people who are not kid people I suppose...but if I am rear ended hard with my kids in the 2nd row, I'd rather the dog flew around than have 2 big heavy crash rated crates slam into the backs of their seats/heads. The passenger area divider gate is very light and secured to headrests with zip ties. My dogs are pretty stay put dogs. The passenger area divider gate is more to keep them off the leather seats.

Sometimes with kids and dogs and lots of planned fun trips you just have to do what is the least bad lol

My set up. In addition to varigate I have a horse stall mat I have to pick up from the farm supply store, a reflective tarp made specifically for keeping kennels and cars cooler, and a Ryobi 18 v fan that is great. Bought an extra rechargeable battery for it as well. Ready for the summer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180421_180746.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	496209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180421_180842.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	496217   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180422_165743.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	496225  

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome