German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adopted female dog, they didn't tell me she was pregnant

20K views 124 replies 34 participants last post by  Castlemaid 
#1 ·
Me and my fiance were browsing rescues and shelters and found a female GSD that someone was rehoming via Craigslist. They said she was 2-3 years old and she obviously had been neglected. She was underweight, had super long nails, was dirty and had severely matted/dreaded hair behind her ears. She wasn't fixed and I planned to get it done asap. We already own a fixed male WL GSD.
The new dog seemed particularly hostile with my 5 year old male and she started showing signs of what I assumed was a false pregnancy. I made a vet appointment to make sure she wasn't pregnant and make arrangements for her to be spayed.
About a week ago (and a day before vet appointment) she started hanging out in the closet. I assumed it was the hormonal changes due to the false pregnancy until I heard a little squeek come out of the closet.
I've always been very outspoken about spaying/neutering and have been against bybing. I'm not sure what compelled me to adopt off CL and not from a reputable rescue or shelter. so I am still adjusting to the shock that I have 7 BYB pups in a box in my closet.
I have no idea what I'm doing aside from the helpful and friendly advice of staff at my vets office and how to articles online. I've never owned a dog younger than 10 months. I made a make shift whelping box and have been doing my best to make sure mom is not.stepping on or squishing pups and that she has plenty of food and fresh water. All puppies came out healthy and after five days all are feeding and growing. I was feeding my dogs a raw diet but switched mom to a high quality dry food since I'm all around more familiar with feeding that to dogs.
The pups are at least half GSD. Mom is small, long haired red and black dog who looks WGSL. I know little else about her. So far she is biddable and mellow but she also has been pregnant or nursing so I don't know how different she will be after this is over. Who knows who dad is. Could be a coyote for all I know! (JK.. hopefully :0) they look like they could be all or mostly GSD but it's way too early to really guess.
I don't have space, time or resources for 7 puppies, let alone that I rent and landlord told me I better find homes for these pups. I'll keep them 8-12 weeks of course, but then need to quickly find homes for them.
I don't even know where to start. I never even considered the possibility of having this problem since I never planned to own intact dogs and had no desire to ever breed and contribute to overpopulation of dogs. It blows my mind people actually do this for profit- not responsible breeding but backyard breeding. I should of been more careful about where I adopted from and should of rushed her into the vet. It was really stupid of me not too. I'm really grateful she gave birth without complications and the puppies all came out healthy.
I'm located in the Los Angeles area. If anyone has suggestions about how I should go about finding homes for the dogs, please let me know. I'm attaching a pic of one or two of the pups and of mom.pups are either reddish tan mixed with black and with a black stripes on back like in first and third pic or are mostly black like second picture.

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and to German shepherd dogs, but I recently purchased my 15 week old GSD from a neighbor who's female had her 8 puppies in a large blow up kiddie pool in the garage of her home. The mom and pups were safe, and had plenty room to move around and feed pups without any problems. Plus, as pups got older they could move about freely, but couldn't get out of pool due to high sides. I thought it was the perfect set up for the process. Also, It was easy to feed them and clean up after the puppies, too. I don't know if you have room for a kiddie pool, but it's just a thought...

#33 ·
Boot camp. six weeks. You can do anything for six weeks. Your dog (male) can be crated for six weeks with two bathroom breaks a day. I know this because when my boy shattered his leg back in the nineties, that was the vet advice -- 8 weeks in a crate, out twice a day to potty.

I am not suggesting you do this. But you need to completely separate your boy from the bitch and puppies. You need to give him some training time, once or twice a day, more than just a walk around the block. You need to interact during the walk, having him do sits and downs, and come-front, changes in direction, speed up, slow down, make him watch you. Exercise his mind as well as his body. Lots of success and praise. Then back home and put him in his safe spot.

I think you need to consider keeping a puppy and letting the bitch go back to the rescue AFTER the pups are 8 weeks old. I think your boy will handle a female, if brought in as a puppy much better than an adult of either sex, and a male pup might become a problem down the line.

Don't feel bad that it isn't working between your boy and this girl. Do keep her and her litter until they are ready to go though. She has had enough stress at a very stressful time.

I really do not think you have the resources to keep a bitch and a dog that are likely to injure each other badly. Your boy will survive the separation/safe place for six weeks. And after the bitch and the other pups have gone to the rescue or their new homes, he can be carefully introduced to the puppy. And if that doesn't work out after the old college try, you can find the puppy a good home, and just have the one dog.

The good news is that by 12 days, the puppies are less likely to be suffocated in any way. And, your bitch may be spending less time in there if their nails are beating her up. Check their nails.

#34 ·
Male and female are completely separated except for brief period when she is brought outside. I don't have a huge house but big enough to separate both dogs. Although never crate trained I'm actually crating him now for first time ever and with absolutely no resistance on his part for as long as a couple of hours. He likes the security and sensory deprivation. For all his reactivity he has a great off switch. He is 100 percent separated from pups at all times. I was going to see how the dynamic was after puppies were placed before deciding about rehoming her. I would of course really like to avoid that but if I have to I will.
I hate to say this because I know it is born out of fear but he is better behaved and less reactive with the female around. Will it be possible to build some bonding between them when her hormones go down?
I've thought about boot camp. What kind of liability would I have if he were to injure another dog? I'm sure there well equipped to handle that of course I'm just super careful about ever placing him in anybody else's hands.

#35 ·
I'm sure there well equipped to handle that of course I'm just super careful about ever placing him in anybody else's hands.

Now, there's something I REALLY like to hear! Have heard far too many horror tales over the years, of dogs that were totally messed up, starved, or even sold/lost by some idiot who claimed to be a trainer!

If you go this route, be very careful in making your choice. I'd also visit frequently to observe the training and check on my dog.

#36 ·
Boot camp to me is not sending the dog away for training. It is a rallying call I have for myself. Boot Camp! I can do anything for 6 or 10 or 12 weeks, think of it as boot camp. Boot camp is a less than ideal state, where we are expected to do what we must, but it has a definite end. It is kind of like saying, "we can get through this."

I don't suggest sending dogs away for training, pretty much ever.

the hormones will come down in the bitch. But it sounds like that the dog, having his own set of issues, might not bounce back as dogs generally do. So her hormones will probably relax as the litter ages, but your boy is likely not to forget and to harbor a fear of her after what is normal.

With good temperament, a bitch might attack a cat or dog when she is late in pregnancy or if she has young puppies, when normally the bitch would rub up against the cat, and play with the dog or at least mate with him. Cats tend not to show proper respect for their canine brethren. So who cares if the cat exhibits a more healthy respect for a bitch after a pregnancy. But dogs who have a good temperament can bounce back even from dog fights where blood is drawn, relatively quicikly -- dogs NOT bitches. Bitches are like us. They remember forEVER. What you have is a dog that probably is dog-reactive out of fearfulness, and this doesn't seem to go away, even when the bitch is back to normal. He might continue to bark, lunge, act a fool, even when she is back to normal, because he doesn't get it. It will be far easier to acclimate him to a puppy and as the puppy grows, he is not afraid of it because it has latched onto him as a surrogate parent and that usually works. Getting him used to a bitch that has already had words with him, I just don't know. It really depends on your dog.

#37 ·
[quote/]So who cares if the cat exhibits a more healthy respect for a bitch after a pregnancy[/quote]

Somebody is not a cat person ?

IMHO your male will hold no grudge later. Pregnancy and protectiveness by the bitch is understood by your other dog instinctively. It seems to me that often people project their own feelings about an event like this - and more often than not it's not how the dog feels about it. Whether it seems like it or not, proximity now is actually conditioning both of them to "deal" with the others presence. Only time will tell if these two will manage to become friends, but your attitude will also play a major role. If keeping them both is a goal, give it time and try to be as low key as possible once they are allowed to mingle again...

#38 ·
Situation has resolved, for better or worse. I asked about resources for finding homes for pups on CL and was contacted by a rescue willing to take in pups and find homes and to take Mom temporarily while pups nurse. This morning foster mom and her son came to get puppies and Shasta the adult female. Now I don't know what normal is for a post partem dog regarding meeting new people but she was very fearful and barked and growled and woman and her son. She has been shy in the past but never such a strong reaction. She had warmed up after just a few minutes in the past. I could tell the foster was very nervous and hadn't much experience fostering. I offered to keep mom and pups with me if rescue could donate some food. They didn't like this idea, probably worried id have second thoughts. They proposed to just take pups and bottle feed. Keeping my female home and not subjecting her to stress of another new home, especially due to how acutely stressed she was at the time I didn't argue. I actually was under impression California even had a law against seperating pups from Mom before 8 weeks. At that point I figured if they were willing to put in work for pups god bless. Hopefully the pups go quick and are able to generate some helpful revenue for the rescue to help all the senior dogs, mixed breeds, sick dogs etc. That don't attract interest like a pup.
So now it's about managing and improving dynamic between my male and female. Her hormones will return to normal and hopefully he be more comfortable around her.
I'm posting a few recent pics of pups I'm dying to know if they are mixed or not let me know what you think

Attachments

#39 ·
So the pups are gone, and you kept the Mom with you? Doesn't sound like a responsible rescue group to me, CL isn't the best place to go for pet animal resources. My guess is they will sell those pups as soon as they can.

#40 ·
They took 2 week old pups from their mother????? And wouldn't consider letting them stay with you to keep them with their mother?????

Hand feeding pups is a HUGE task! That isn't even an logical choice.

It's to late now for any input on this situation but for anyone who is reading this in the future, this is not a reputable rescue nor an option any rescue I've ever worked with would choose to do.

#41 ·
I've been watching this thread and hoping for a good outcome as I'm sure many have and figured with pages of skillful help there would be a good outcome for all.

I don't understand why you are so dying to know about the pups when they are no longer in your care. The people who have vested their time trying to help are probably heartbroken over this especially where your relief came via CL.

This beautiful dam is in full lactation. The hormones will not subside quickly. The mammory glands will become full and painful and there is a chance that they will become impacted. I know this thruough my own nursing and that of a cat while growing up. I hope you research how to care for a lactating bitch who needs help to relieve pressure as her body responds to the lack of nursing and begins to dry up.

The pics of those beautiful pups made me want to cry and I am not one to cry easily.

Op, it looks like you did a lot but maybe you just aren't aware how your last post appears to those who are reading it.

My best wishes and thoughts are with this beautiful dam and those pups.

#42 · (Edited)
Sadly, CL is a cesspool of wannabe rescuers who don't know what they're doing, scammers who want free puppies to sell, and worse. For future readers, TRUST NO ONE on CL without doing significant due diligence.

Hopefully OP was responsible about it and didn't just hand-off the litter to a stranger without a background check just to be rid of the pups: he or she hopefully checked the 501(c)(3) status of this unknown all-breed rescue, called the rescue's vet to get a reference check on quality of care they provide (as any legitimate rescue would encourage you to do), and inquired as to community reputation with other rescues, shelter directors, etc (again, legitimate rescues would be happy to provide community references, as we have worked hard to build goodwill). Hopefully he or she also read their adoption contract and adoption qualifications (speutering contract, taking the pups back if it doesn't work out, training requirements, quality of placement, home checks, etc.), so you have peace of mind that they'll place the pups well and handle returns so that they don't eventually end up in a shelter.

There are some dumb all-breed rescues who see "possibly purebred puppies" and think that a money-making fundraiser fell into their laps. They don't know what they're in for --- and quickly get overwhelmed.

It's too late now, but when OP talked to the rescue's vet (you did that, OP, right?), there should have been a plan to get these 12-day old pups through this dangerous period without their mama, and a discussion of this foster's track-record with bottle-fed litters. When there are orphaned litters, this sometimes happens, but often some of the pups don't all survive bottle-feeding....which is why we move heaven and earth to find mama....one rescue I know even went looking in shelters for a lactating F who lost her litter to be a "wet nurse" (after a neg parvo test and careful temperament screen), as it increased the odds of the litter's survival (and she was fab with them).

That was hopefully all discussed with the rescue's vet and OP, so OP and the rescue made an informed choice ...for some reason, their vet thought was really important to "orphan" this litter....surely no one would separate mama and pups like this without talking to their vet about what's best for the pups. Even in shelters when the mama is feral and can't be handled and has to be separated from pups earlier than anyone would like, it's the shelter's vet who makes that call. Right, OP....?

#43 · (Edited)
Who knows and who cares if they are purebred. They aren't yours anymore. And in the end probably a good thing. No pup should be raised by someone willing to separate them from their mother at 2 weeks.

I am sorry, but I am beyond disgusted. These pups may live. That's maybe what you should by "dying to find out" -- if they survive at all. If they somehow get through the next two weeks, these people will be probably passing them around to people at PetsMart to haul around the store with them -- yep, I've seen that.

Your bitch was rightfully upset with these people who came to your home. They were threatening to her babies. She is in momma-bear mode. You perhaps do not understand how helpless those babies are and their life-line is their mother. It wasn't maybe your fault for taking her in, not knowing she was pregnant. But once you took on that responsibility...

I guess what is done is done. Or maybe not. You should never have separated the pups from the dam or given pups that young to people who are fearful and not expecting the dam to be somewhat fearful, protective, and even aggressive. How are they going to bottle raise puppies. Puppies that have a lot to learn from their dam. I wish you could get the puppies back and home them with someone experienced with raising GSDs.

I am sorry no one here was in a position to take the dam and litter off of your hands. Your post sounded like you were willing to wait the six weeks until the pups were ready to be separated. And if that were the case the least amount of stress -- no more changing hands, would've been better for the dam and puppies. If that were not the case, if that is not what you had projected, maybe these babies would be safe and their dam would be settling in with someone who knows what they are doing.

#58 ·
regarding breed of pups, that comment seems absurd given the full context of the situation. at the time i was still clinging to hope i did the right thing and everything was fine, so some inane cutsie little comment about breed maybe in that context would seem less flippant. the worst part of it is I knew all this. i knew seperating puppies early is a terrible idea. i got advice here and read a lot on the subject the past couple of weeks. why would i assume because someone says they are something (a knowledgable selfless dog lover who has a wealth of experience with this type of thing who can assure you are doing right thing) its the same issue a reactive dog has- emotion hijacks reason. its not an excuse but rather a lesson and warning for someone else who may come across this thread in the future who is in a similar situation.

#50 ·
Well, according to this post, OP is now saying the rescue is taking mom AND the pups for 6 weeks:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ng-post-partem-female-male-after-6-weeks.html

("Found a rescue willing to take Mom with pups and give Mom back when pups are weaned. She will be gone six weeks")

Maybe we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief for the pups.
Unfortunately from timeline and posts it looks like those were the people that showed up, and took just the pups.

#53 ·
A new mom-dog with 2 week old pups is not generally going to welcome strangers. This is still when many mama-dogs don't even want to leave their pups for more than a few minutes at a stretch. These babies are totally helpless, eyes, ears hardly functioning yet, waddling about just looking for milk and warmth. They need their mother to teach them many things and to be there for security, guidance as they grow. Mom is still helping them eliminate and cleaning up after them.

Watching a mother dog play with her pups when they start walking is beautiful. I wish she could have kept her pups for at least another four weeks.

I'm sure that mama-dog is not only mourning losing her babies, but in pain from swollen nipples. Her hormones are telling her that she is a nursing mother- it is very confusing and sad for her to not have pups to care for at this stage.

I'm sorry to hear this outcome. How very sad for pups. And they'll lose mom's immunity, as well, and all the benefits of being "breast fed" which are many, particularly with pups who mature so quickly.

#62 ·
she is both mourning pups and in discomfort from breasts. im sure the pups will be given a back story of coming from a terrible situation where rescue had no choice but to separate mom and pups. im a dogfighter and mom is a baitdog, or maybe she was guarding my drug stash. im not mocking the value of exaggerated or made up histories for rescues, if portraying the prince charles cavelier as a bait dog rather than an owner surrender because his kid is allergic is great if it helps dogs get adopted. in my case they can say whatever they want about me if it helps pups get adopted. mom was a russian spy and allegedly had some meetings with ivankas poodle. what's done is done so anything that helps improve a bad situation. the fact that in reality they didn't try at all to keep mom and pups together, more worried if i might decide to sell them or find a different rescue was more of a pressing issue than mom and pups health shows you how unscrupulous people can be. i thought maybe puppies are vital for smaller rescues to help subsidize older dogs people arent adopting, but if the greater good is the dogs and their health the rescue should of taken chance id go to someone else for their sake.
when i offered to keep pups, the person running rescue made a fair point about my financial resources maybe not being adequate for such a task. i explained that while i felt responsible dog ownership means having reserves available for dogs, id get by for six weeks. i also asked if they get food donated and if that is then ever passed on to fosters, which is what i would essentially be. she was tripped up by my question and repsonded about how she only feeds dogs a raw diet. ok fine, ive flirted with a raw diet and planned to stick with it till pups came. can she maybe advise me on a nutritious and budget friendly raw diet? soup bones are cheap. she didn't even respond to this question or show any desire to work with me so pups and mom were in optimal situation.
i now clearly see the plethora of red flags i somehow missed.

#54 ·
ive never dealt with any of this before, and came here desperate for advice. its been stressful hoping for the best outcome. first off, no i dont care at all about breed of dogs beyond curiosity. i dont even know why i put that in post because it really was the last thing on my mind. in retrospect i see how that makes me seem totally flippant and petty regarding the situation. at the time i posted the update i was still deluded to think i made the right decision. but thats not here nor there. my experience has been with adult dogs. and at that its been fairly limited. i never dealt with a pregnant bitch or puppies. in this case i deferred to the rescue Assuming they knew whats best. seeing the reactions here plus the situation im dealing with at home obviously i made a very bad decision, which unfortunately can happen when you are dealing with a new situation and stressed. if you read my posts you can clearly my only priority was the mother and the puppies. the eventual outcome wasnt made with any malicious intentions on my part. my post regarding the outcome, the tone of it may be off because i was confused, still trusting i did what was best while feeling dirty and used at the same time. that being said, im not here to pass blame, i take responsibility for my actions.
so the rescue, which of course i did my best to check out with thr resources available to me, was taking mom and pups. at last minute the foster refused to take mom, which is when i volunteered to keep pups the full 8 weeks. They didnt like this option. meanwhile, emotion wad hijacking reason and logic in my own brain and started to sorry about my female because she was stressed.
what happened next i take full responsibility of and clearly see my mistakes. i was basically conned into thinking the best option was surrendering only the pups. had i been ignorant to what really was best i wouldnt have been as culpable but the problem is that i did know. i shouldn't of allowed them to tell me what was best when I knew it wasnt. i made a big mistake. someone mentioned that clearly i am not ready for pups so its perhaps good they are gone. i think i clearly stated this pretty much from the beginning, i never deluded myself to believe i was ready for this. even still i could of done another 6 weeks. i understand the frustration and anger directed at me, I deserve it. i came here for help and guidance and really tried (and ultimately failed) to do what was best. i can stand by that at least, hopefully seperating myself from people who automatically will take the easiest way out without any attempt to find a good solutions
so now this situation really isnt "resolved" at all. mom is in discomfort and pain and seeing the vet tomorrow. and here i am whining about how its unfair because i tried so dont be mean to me. clearly, this rescue wanted these pups regardless of there welfare. can pups like this be profitable enough to motivate someone to represent themselves in a deceptive way to gain ownership of them? i thought that backyard bred dogs, unpapered from a mystery sire would not break even if sold after care and expenses. in other words didnt think pups would be worth much for sale so didnt even think that someone might con there way into owning pups. are there people that do this kind of thing for monetary gain?
ironic how what got me in trouble to begin with (Craigslist) would ultimately do the same again. just like i naively assumed she wasnt pregnant i naively assumed pups were going to a good place and these people knew more than me and were guiding me in the right direction. obviously i have impulsivity and trust issues that need to be worked out.
thank you very much for all the thorough, thought out and helpful responses. i tend to write these pretty quick and they dont always best reflect what im feeling but please know i take this very seriously and see my mistakes. i feel sick.to my stomach right now and am really upset at a lot of things, mostly myself. right now my focus is caring for mom. pups are out of my hands. thanks

#60 ·
the rescue wouldnt willingly release puppies back to me. they stand by there decision im sure. all i know is foster isnt willing to tske mom and shelter wouldnt consider better alternatives like me fostering pups. i mentionrd financial strain of situation in an earlier conversation with them which was used against me when i offered to foster. i ws under impression fosters didnt typically pay out of pocket for food. either way, in retrospect, her real concern was me changing my mind after six weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.