German Shepherds Forum banner

looking for help/info

3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
Shadow is on First Mate kibble.
Allergic to beef and a few other things. Chronic itching and biting. And so stressed I have issues getting her to eat. The itching is new. The stress is not. I switched her from the chicken kibble to the lamb and it reduced the itching but did not stop it.
She will not touch fish or coconut oil.
She still eats raw chicken and does fine.
Her stool is good. Formed and solid.
She will vomit if I let her stomach get empty and gets fed twice a day to prevent it.
Need to stop the itching and would love info on supplements for joint support and stress relief.

#2 ·
Is it fish she won't eat, or just fish oil? My dogs have always done best on the fish based kibble formulas. Have you tried a limited ingredient kibble - like Wellness Simple?

I'm sorry. That's really tough.

#3 ·
Tried fish kibble, raw fish, cooked fish, shell fish, fish oil. She literally backs away shaking her head.
First Mate is grain free and more limited then most limited ingredient foods.
Wellness uses flax and she is definitely allergic to flax.

#4 ·
Do eggs agree with her?

A friend has a dog with a monstrous list of food intolerances, and has specifically observed that that dog tolerates good quality eggs (from healthy birds fed a diverse diet) noticeably better than store-bought.... even "organic" store-bought.

Eggs are such a great source of nutrition. I think it's Magwart who has posted a number of links about the benefits of natural eggshell membrane. One of my dogs won't eat the shells when offered eggs raw, but if I hardboil a batch and then smash the egg up on the counter before offering it, she'll eat the entire thing.

#5 ·
I noticed that the First Mate is 40% protein from mostly peas and lentils. Peas and lentils being legumes are highly inflammatory and may be contributing to Shadows tummy and itching issue. My dog is sensitive to peas and lentils and can't have them.

I found this food: Sport Dog Elite LID in beef we are trying. Got it Wednesday and so far she hasn't has eaten enough to say how it will work out but thought I'd share just the same.
They have a venison formula that might work for you and read their no return return policy. :)

https://www.sportdogfood.com/elite-grain-free-venison-meal-28-14/

#6 ·
Shadow loves eggs. I give them to her now and then. I used to pound the shells into powder and add it to the dogs food. Sabi hated raw eggs but Shadow will steal them.
I don't think First Mate has peas in it. I double checked and didn't see any. It does have potatoes.
My dog eats better then I do.
I will check out Sport Dog but I am a bit freaky about manufacturing and quality control. Its why I keep hesitating about switching kibble.

#7 · (Edited)
I might not be reading this correctly. Are you still feeding the raw chicken after switching from the chicken kibble to lamb kibble? If so, it may be worth stopping the raw chicken for a while to see if it will further reduce the itching.

#9 ·
What about doing raw chicken + base mix (no kibble at all)? The Honest Kitchen's Preference base mix is flax-free and grain-free. Just add chicken or eggs or whatever protein, and some fish oil. One of the things I like about Preference is the dehydrated fruit/veggie ingredients have several natural sources of quercetin, a natural antihistimine. You could also try supplementing quercetin directly, if you think there's a possible allergic component to the itching.

I saw great results giving Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) and Hyaluronic Acid/Collagen II with my last oldster. Gatorbytes was the one who turned me onto it. You can get NEM as capsules, or just pull the membranes out of all your eggs. I think you can extract out the HA/Collagen II out of chicken necks and cartilage if you make bone broth.

#10 ·
Wish I could afford to do raw but I can't. The raw prepared is to pricey and I simply don't have the room or the time to do it myself.
The best I can do is a good kibble and as much meat and whole fresh foods as I can.
I know there are good supplements I can add to her kibble. I need to get the stress level in line so she will eat reliably though. And at near 7 with her issues I would like to know about boosting her immune system.

#13 ·
Yknow.... it might be worth emailing The Honest Kitchen and asking if their base mix + eggs is considered a complete diet, the way it is when you add meat to it.

I've wondered this before but haven't pursued an answer.

If so, you could add chicken at your discretion - when you can find good deals, etc. But if the base mix + eggs is complete and affordable maybe that'd be worth a try.

#17 ·
She has bouts of hyper activity followed by crashes. Her mobility is great some days but not so great others. She is alert and attentive likes to be near me and helping.
Her endurance sucks.
At 7 I would put this dog with weak heart and lungs and probable joint issues as a senior. I think.

#19 ·
Vets are surprised she ever survived. And tell me to let her exist.
Resting heart rate is near double what it should be. Recovery time is hours not minutes.
Blood tests are normal.
Joint range is good. Which makes me think inflammation not any deformity leads to hesitation when moving some days.
Arthiritis?
Comes in heat 3 times a year not 2. Long heats with noticeable loss of condition and energy.
Hormone imbalance?

#23 · (Edited)
that brings it back to a detox -- high ORAC supplement (phyt'n chance is one) to protect against oxidative stress -- and I would support with sulfur rich n-ac , and alpha lipoic acid , and glutathion.
MSM is sulfur rich.

Some very interesting research with N-AC ( N-acetylcysteine ) and anti oxidants
showing that oxidative damage of the spinal cord in DM dogs can be prevented .
Just because you have a possible "condition" doesn't mean you turn on the switches
to allow it to express itself.
More and more work done on "nutracueticals" and botanical medicine .

This route will support mitochondria which are the source for CELLULAR energy .

and I would provide UBIQUINOL --- with some fat or oil when being served.

again this is for mitochondrial support.

when the mitochondria are worn out the whole system comes to a grinding halt.

the heart and liver are major users of those mitochondria --

for the heart taurine - available as an independent product - or from dark meat including raw chicken (dark!) beef , heart , liver, eggs and seaweed .

for heart --- ground hawthorn berry (got it) and DRibose which is often given in conjunction with n-ac , alpha lipoic acid and lysine .

work on the dog's inner terrain -- not kibble choices

#24 ·
@Sabis mom , curiosity got the best of me. I emailed THK over the weekend, the base + egg idea isn't nutritionally complete. Ah well... never hurts to ask.

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question! I wouldn't recommend only using eggs as the protein in the base mix, since it requires meat as a protein source. If you want, you can make the base mix with the meat and then use the eggs as a topper. Meat is going to add much more to the diet, aside from protein (phosphorous, iron, vitamins, etc).

#25 ·
Thank you Carmen.
I come here for info because the vets have pretty much written her off. The consensus is that if I refuse to put her down she should just be left in a yard and allow nature to take its course.
I can get behind that to a point. But I have a responsibility to her to provide the best care I can and minimize any issues to the extent that I am able.
Plus I adore her and want her to be happy. And with me for as long as she is able.

#26 ·
I did add a bit (re- heart) on my previous post

the information I gave was not just something pulled out of the air .

Billinghurst has a rather technical new book which focuses on the status of mitochondrial health and
the "control" over cancer -- Pointing the Bone at Cancer .

Ubiquinone and the much better UBIQUINOL were introduced to me by two eccentric theoretical physicists from the U of Toronto . They were a young couple who bought a pup from me so we had a period of connection.
They said if you take one thing this is THE one thing to take .
That was around 1980 --- and at that time ubiquinone was available - but you had to look for it .

Now we have the more absorbable Ubiquinol and PQQ ---

at least your vets did no harm.

they could have suggested a holistic or alternative vet .

the picture you put on the forum shows a "defeated" whipped dog --- like being soul exhausted

that is the condition of her "battery charge"

I know you provide excellent care - that is evident in every post you put out

-- bone broth --- (glutathione stimulating)

how many times do I mention organic sulfurs -- MSM - now you see that taurine is a sulfur
n-ac is sulfur

goat whey - glutathione stimulating

T

#27 ·
I can pick up ubiquinol today from Costco. Can I just add to her food? And I can easily get msm.
Sabi took it most of her life.
I can order the phytn chance.
I add bone broth to her food to make her eat. She hates yogurt and goats milk. Tried both.

#28 ·
Ubiquinol -- Kaneka makes a fermented form

Mercola uses "Kaneka" in his Ubiquinol

my favourite and readily available is INNO-Q-NOL made by Innovite
which also uses KANEKA ---
formultation is 6 x's more absorption and there are units which are 50% more bonus (90 for the price of 60)

** and is cardiovascular healthy **

it is all about quality

I have no idea what Costco has -- but I wouldn't bother

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.