German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Why is the GSD a bad choice for 1st time owners?
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 AM
kaslkaos
Master Member

My take, from my experience with wonderful Dynamo aquired as a six month old pup is this.
Regular "pet" trainers know nothing, and if you follow their advice you'll end up with an out of control brat that they would declare a "bad dog".
Dynamo needed a lot of motivation and a little bit of discpline. "Pet dog trainers" won't even let you play tug as a reward, they don't know how to handle it, and physically lack the space in their facility.
Aversives of any kind are considered cruel so halti's (dangerous to a boisterous dog) are recommended.
I would have been dragged into traffic a million times, would have had 3 dead cats, would have never let her off-leash, if I'd follow the "pet flavour training". Instead, I educated myself here, took her to various different trainers (a schutz/protection place to gain control), then later an open-minded pet trainer, then on to agility.
So I can see how gsd's are different, and I 1st time owner might end up thinking their wonderful dog is a monster.
Dynamo--you are missed, you were awesome.

SONIC (Potcake+BC) DOB JL 2014, Mine Jan 12 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cats: Riker, Simba, Batman
Angels: Dynamo GSD, Zandor GSD Mix, Misha GSD
Me: Artist, geeked out on dog training

Last edited by kaslkaos; 02-20-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Weird button slip thing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome