German Shepherds Forum banner

Spaying my girl and Vaccines

784 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 ·
So the wife and I have a wonderful female GSD, Bella, who is about 2.5 years old. Bella just finished a heat cycle about a week ago, and due to getting a male puppy early next year we will be spaying Bella.

My question is whether to have Bella revaccinated or not before her surgery. Our preferred vet requires vaccinations before the surgery, but after completing her puppy shots we were not planning on continuing with further vaccinations, unless needed (we planned to opt for titers). There is another local vet that recommends the vaccines but does not require them. Should we just do the vaccines or opt not to use them?

Suggestions welcomed please!!

#2 ·
Rabies is required in Illinois. Most vets will accept just that. Other vets want more or require the shot for kennel cough. One vet I know of requires all of that plus lepto.

#5 ·
Well I would call a couple different vets to see what they require. I wouldn't get them if you have to get them the same day as surgery. I would spread out what is needed if I had to get them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.