German Shepherds Forum banner

R.I.P. My Dear Addie

3K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  dpluchino 
#1 ·
It is a week today that we lost our sweet Addie. She was only 7.5 and it took us totally by surprise. Last Wednesday she was her normal happy self... barking, playing with the kids and eating with no problems at all. She went to bed and when I took her out the next morning, she collapsed. My wife was at 2 emergency vets and a cardiologist. They drained more than 300 ml of fluid from her chest. They said pericardial effusion due to hemangiosarcoma. My wife and Addie got home around 2:00 and she seemed much better. We were going to decide what to do next... chemo, which may give here another 3 months or the alternative. We didn't have to make that decision... she died in my lap around 5:00. This is the hardest thing I've ever dealt with. She was my best friend. I never realized all the things that we did together each and every day... it is so lonely now and I miss her so much. I just don't understand. She had top notch vet care, routine check-ups and blood work and nothing ever came up abnormal... it is just not fair!

We got Addie when she was 4 months old from a rescue. She started off with such a hard life. The first four months of her life, she was locked in a cage and was never let out to run, she was deprived of water and food... she was so skinny and could barely walk. I remember like it was yesterday, one the first days she was with us, we were in the backyard and she tripped on a small fence we had for our other dog... it was so sad. With the right nutrition and exercise, Addie got to be a healthy 85 pound GSD. We did everything together, she never left my side. Always keeping an eye out for my kids. My 6 year old and 2 year old boys grew up with her and she was always there with them. My wife took Addie to obedience shows and got a few blue ribbons as well being a certified therapy dog. She was such a pretty dog, always smiling. I hope you enjoy some of these pictures. I'll miss you Addie, there will never be another one of you.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
What a pretty girl. Sorry for the loss. The time together is always too short.
RIP Addie

#8 ·
So sorry to hear about your loss of beautiful Addie. She looks a lot like my Julietta. Its so hard to experience such a sudden loss. You gave her a great life and it shows in the pictures how happy and loved she was. I hope in time you can remember the wonderful times you shared together. RIP sweet Addie...

#12 ·
RIP Addie

I am so sorry for your loss. We just lost our beloved GSD, Jagger in February, so I know the hole that is in your heart. We have also been through hemangio 2 times in the past, and yes, it is so unfair. I guess the only thing we can do is treasure all the great memories that we had with our pets, again, I am so sorry for your loss, hugs to you.K9POPPY

#13 ·
I'm very sorry for your loss :hugs: RIP Addie :( She was gorgeous and sounds like she was just as beautiful on the inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.