German Shepherds Forum banner

Crate Training... where to place the crate?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mego 
#1 ·
In the past when I've done crate training, I've always had one spot which was the only spot where there was room or the only spot that logistically worked due to the way the house was set up or who was living with me.

Now that I'm living alone... I'm wondering where on earth to put it. :p

I live in a mobile home, here's a little paint diagram of my house, all of the big black squares are where furniture is. The house is about 16-18 feet wide... I think. Not that big. I mean... this isn't exact of course... but gives a bit of an idea. Triangles are where the doors are.

I could put it at the end of my bed or in the office (whoops, forgot to add the bathroom. :p That's in between the office and the bedroom, but too small for a crate), or in a couple different places in the living room/kitchen. Even underneath the kitchen table to have it be out of the way.

So, I've heard different opinions. Some say to keep it in a high activity area. Which would be the living room. Others say to keep it in a low activity area, which would be the office. Others say to keep it with you at night, which is the bedroom. :crazy:

So... what would y'all recommend?

See less See more
#2 ·
As a puppy I would do one of two things... one put the crate in your room so that you can hear the pup when he'she needs to go potty and it is comforted by you being there. OR what I actually did with both my dogs, was have a designated crate area, which was in the most trafficked area (living room for me) I set my clocke to get up periodically for potty breaks. But I personally wanted them not dependent on me for sleeping purposes. Both got it rather quickly. It also became their go to spot for everything. And because it was in the living room where we spend most our time it was easy to train it as a comfort zone vs just bedtime or quiet time.

#3 ·
I like a crate in a room where I am most of the time, and a crate in a room that's quiet. If there's room for both, go for it. I have a teeny tiny house, so I understand the logistics of where to put the darn thing. There's definitely an argument for both places. I am so not helpful!

#5 ·
Haha, it is a teeny tiny house. My bedroom has room for my bed, a nightstand, and a shelving unit... maybe a crate on the side or at the foot... but that's it. :p

And the living room/kitchen is tight as well, but doable.

I don't want to be moving the crate... but I also don't want to have to buy a bunch of crates. :p

So... maybe start in the living room, see how the first few nights go, and then move it if there's no improvement?

ETA: I'm also debating between using the crate at night vs allowing her to sleep with me at night. I'll need the crate during the day, but at night, my current dog and cat sleep with me, and I like them to sleep with me, helps me sleep (and I'm all alone, not even a boyfriend on occasion or anything)... but I also want to do what is best for her and her comfort. So... yeah.

I will still need the crate for when I'm in class and at work. Can still come home every 2-4 hours for a regular pee schedule though.

#7 ·
I'm going to give you more than a crate location suggestion, lol. Whee, let's redecorate! I'd move the bed to the opposite wall and move it out from the wall, so there's room for a dog bed there. Then I'd contain the pup in that area - I used a cheap plastic baby gate.

I think you should have the puppy in the bedroom with you at night because that way you can hear the cries to let you know he has to pee, since he won't be able to hold it through the night at that age.

I have my crate in my kitchen, but I have dog beds everywhere else. I only used the crate when I couldn't keep my eyes glued to him. If I had to set it up at your place, I'd choose the empty spot facing the door.

#8 ·
Oh, I can't move the bed to the opposite wall, because there's a window and large window unit there. Just not enough room at all, bed just would not fit.

I can however put a baby gate up on that side and have the crate be towards the back of that little area.

There is a large closet area that I didn't put in here, that I currently use for storage and for the chest that my older dog uses for stairs to go up to my bed. So I could rearrange stuff back there for a crate. Definitely. It's about 3-4 feet wide... probably closer to 3 feet. It's my closet, but I can definitely arrange it to where a crate would fit, and put something up to preserve my clothes... or something.

I have a dog bed in the living room already, and the couch (which is pretty low to the ground actually, but HUGE) is free game.

I should probably put one in the office once I have it fully unpacked and cleaned up... need to do that soon and BEFORE the puppy gets here.

#11 ·
Right now I have the small one placed in the kitchen area almost underneath the kitchen table... and I think I might just use underneath the kitchen table for the large one too once she moves up to it... since it's really just during the day while I'm at class (after playing with her and training her in the mornings and various times of the day in when I'm home to "exhaust" her) that she'll need it... and that's an easy "out of the way" place I can put it, since I only ever use the kitchen table for large projects that don't fit on my current desk or for putting food when I have guests over. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
we use a crate in the bedroom and I had an exercise pen in the living room. My girl is over 1 now and she still loves sleeping in the same room as me. I think she'd cry so much if I made her sleep in the living room in her pen.

or your bed :p with crate under the table works fine too, whatever works for you guys :) you can always move it once or twice to test it out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.