German Shepherds Forum banner

General Advice?

852 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bman0221 
#1 ·
So I've had my purebred Shepherd, Brady, for almost 2 weeks now. He is 9 weeks old. Does anyone have any good training tools or tips I should know of to try with him? Right now his biggest problem is peeing/pooping in my house and his biting. That's all normal, I've had dogs before but never a Shepherd. So I'm just looking for some guidance on what people have used with their pups. Thanks!

#2 ·
take your pup out often. when our pup came home at
9 weeks old he was out every 15 minutes. every 15
minutes led to every 25 minutes and every 25 minutes
led to every 40 minutes and so on.

overnight he was out every 2 hours, then every 3 hours
and so on. from 4 months old to 8 months old our pup
would wake one of us up at 4am to go out. we never
refused him.

#4 ·
It might be in your best interests to make every effort to facilitate your dog as doggiedad suggested. It may seem like a sacrifice on your behalf today....but in short order you will be repaid handsomely.

As far as the biting goes; there are many posts and good information regarding this stage and I am certain if you search through the forums sections you will find an ample amount of information to help you with this temporary annoyance. I've never had a GSD that didn't start off that way.

SuperG

#7 ·
Yes, I am crate training him and he is already doing very well with it. I let him have a chew toy while he is in there to help with his teething. Also, I do have roommates but since our schedules are usually a little different, I can usually have someone there to take him outside at night. As for when I sleep, he sleeps in bed with me. He knows to wake me up when he needs to go outside. The only issue I am having with potty training is sometimes he just walks to the door and doesn't actually make any noise to let me know, but 90% of the time I see him and take him out, and he gets plenty of praise when he goes outside. He gets mouthy when he starts playing but what I have been doing is replacing my hand with a toy and it works pretty well.

#9 ·
Hang some kinda jingle bell on the door knob. Ring it each time you take him out to use the bathroom. Show him the bell and teach him to associate it with going out to potty. Not sure something like that would wake you up, just a thought. German Shepherds learn quick so I am sure it would not take him long to learn to jingle the bell when he needs to go out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.