German Shepherds Forum banner

Went to a good cadaver seminar

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
In Franklin NC run by Edwin Grant et al.

It was good. Got to work on some large sources, some water with large sources, some full remains, vehicles in a police impound lot known to have lots of source not put there intentionally, as well as a vehicle used by a funeral home to transport bodies, and an old actual crime scene [one Grim and I had actually worked at in 2008!]

Saw some old SAR acquaintances I have known for years from NC and SC and met some guys on a new team in Central NC. Good guys, serious about this.

Folks were there from California, New York, Iowa, Alabama, Pennsylvania..about my only complain was the large number of folks.

Beau did well on some things and has some places we can improve on other things. Expanding his inventory. Working the "real" big stuff was definitely worth it.

#4 · (Edited)
No...that one was at the FOREST in Western Carolina University. This one is a fairly new seminar but Edwin Grant has decades of experience in this discipline.

My opinion for anyone doing SAR is not to be a disciple of any one instructor as you can learn something from many. But also not to keep changing up what you are doing based on flitting from seminar to seminar. Just take home...figure out what you can do.

In our case I am going to do some work on building duration of indication as well as making arrangements to train on bigger sources on a more frequent basis. And, as always, don't get so wrapped up in it you forget to give the dog a proper paycheck....don't cut the dog short.

#6 ·
Keeping him sitting at source longer and longer waiting for his reward. So that if he indicates some distance from me he "stays with it" until I get there.

#7 ·
Is there a difference between a SAR and a cadaver dog? Or do SAR dogs automatically alert to all possibilities alive or not? I am very interested in this training and am in the initial information gathering stages now. I am disabled and do not walk very much so that may be a disqualifier for me but not necessarily for the dog. Thanks for your replies in advance.

Wheelchair Bob

#8 ·
Some people train multi purpose dogs who find live and dead, and other feel that single discipline dogs are better and focus on all types of scenarios within their discipline. I am in the latter camp and cadaver is all we do. On live searches I am in the trailer doing maps for the team because I am older and slower and my dog is on standby if they want a pond searched or a dog is on odor but starts hesitating to go further (sometimes happens as they near a body).

I believe it would be very hard to train/deploy without a good deal of physical fitness and agility. I am driving myself to be more diligent with weight loss, weight training and fitness because the demands are great. You also need to be able to cover several miles in the woods off trail at a steady pace (holes and logs and rocks) and walk on train tracks, etc. Speed is not as much an issue for cadaver work as it is for live find work.

Twice this weekend we had to use ropes to get into and out of our search area and to the boat (for water search)

Teams usually welcome computer savvy people to help at base though. One team had a paraplegic who did all their mapping and radio work.

#9 ·
Nancy,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I think I would not be up to the task physically, but appreciate the ideas to still manage to be a part of the team. I will continue to look around and see what I can find that will engage my newest little girl and keep her occupied and stimulated. She is my first GSD and has been a learning experience already, but I am 100% in love with the breed from way back and today. I have wanted a GSD for a long, long time and finally got one that is everything I could ask for and more. Even as a 2 YO she is still has a lot of puppy energy and needs a lot of play and work to tire her out and keep her engaged. Fortunately I am home with her 24/7 so we play and interact several times through the day every day so we have formed a pretty good bond already. Thanks!!!!

Wheelchair Bob

#10 ·
That is wonderful. I bet she would thriving on doing tasks for you like helping carry things in the house, providing support, etc. bringing you the phone etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.