German Shepherds Forum banner

Help!!!! Pregnant???

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BellaLuna 
#1 ·
Hi, I went out one early morning a couple of days ago, I saw my 8 year old German Shepherd, Keeli, outside of her fence and was just walking around in front of the door. She had what looked like a grayish- white clump on her back. I put her back in the fence and now I notice she is rolling on her back a lot and just acting like a puppy. She has had two other litters when she was younger but if she is pregnant now, it could kill her. I'm very worried because I don't have near enough money to take her to a vet for a safer birth. What are the earliest signs of pregnancy and what are some tips for a safer birth? I'm feeding her a bit more than usual, just in case she is pregnant and I'm going to bring her inside soon. She does seem a bit fatter, is that me being paranoid or does pregnancy show that quickly? I'm raised her other two litters but she wasn't in as much danger as she is now so I didn't worry much then. I really need some positive stories. I can hardly sleep right now. There are some dogs down the street, I'm not sure if their males or not but their on lines in their yard. I'm going crazy with worry right now! Please help! :help:

#3 ·
No, she wasn't pregnant then and now she got out again. I decided its just easier to bring her inside. Although she is more of an outside dog. I don't know how much it would cost here though. Last time I checked it was way out of my family's pay. It also is worse because my step-dad lost his job and is having a hard time finding one now. So my mom is the one who is just barely keeping us together.

#4 ·
This isn't going to be helpful. But..

I'm glad you're not getting any sleep. This is your fault. Especially since it's happened before. And did it happen the other 2 (or is it 3 times?) bc in your other post you say she's had 3 litters. Apparently whatever enclosure you have her in isn't working and hasn't been working for quite some time...you have a responsibility to your dog to keep her safe. I'm guessing you wouldn't be sleeping either if she got hit by a car. You are repeatedly putting her life in jeopardy by NOT spaying her and by continuing to let her stay somewhere where she keeps getting loose. At the very LEAST you need to be bringing her indoors when she goes into heat (if this is when she is escaping.)...

This cycle needs to stop. Shame on your mom and step-dad for letting this continue to happen. I'm really more upset with them-as I don't know your age. Step up and tell your parents she needs to be spayed. As others have mentioned MANY times--there are low cost clinics and many will even allow payment options. I'd be willing to bet if you explained the situation to your local ASPCA or shelter, they would be willing to work with you. They don't want more irresponsibly bred puppies ending up in their shelters.
I'm a single mom who's currently unemployed with two kids, and if I can find a way to get my dog altered, so can your parents.

Like Jean said..
bottom line is she needs to spayed. NOW.

#5 ·
You are probably now more able to qualify for any of the low cost spay and neuter services listed in that first link. I would start contacting them to check out who you could take her to - apparently I thought you were in GA so without causing a ruckus, I will say be careful with the vetting.

She also has a 1 in 4 chance of developing pyometra, depending on what you read, that goes up to 66% chance in females over 9.

#6 ·
I agree looking for low cost spay/neuter clinic.

Back in Jan you posted you thought she pregnant, and said at that time you were going to look around.

Call your local Animal Control , local vets, ask them for info on low cost spay clinics.

#7 ·
Are you serious or is this a joke. January you said she'd already had 3 litters. Today it's 2 litters? I just want to know if your serious or pulling our leg. There's lots of free and low cost spay. Post your city so we can help you find one.

#8 ·
I hope it's a joke, honestly. It'd be sad if the dog suffered because the owners were not careful enough to get her spayed. It's hard for me to imagine someone being able to financially support a dog correctly while at the same time not being able to pay for a one-time spay procedure.

You need to spay her immediately, because eventually, whether it's this time or 4 more "Is she pregnant?" threads from now, it's bound to happen.

#9 ·
Come on guys this is a joke plain and simple. Look at the time this question was posted, and the fact that this person has not replied to any of your comments other than the first time. Don't let this person get you all pumped up because it simply is not worth the time or energy to give her or him your two cents worth.

#10 ·
I have to agree with this having to be a joke, designed to get under everybody's skin. Or just a really irresponsible dog owner who frankly just doesn't care and it pains me to say so. If you want to have an unaltered dog then you need to take every precaution to make sure you never have any unwanted litters, and if this has happened multiple times before shame on you, way to go watching over you dog...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.