German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Schutzhund newbie, best tips & tools recommended
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 PM
onyx'girl
Crowned Member

What age is Gitchi? Crate is important, a good vari-kennel is enough for most dogs. In your location a crate fan is a given & a water bucket that latches on the crate.

If you are starting in a week, have a good collar(buckle leather is ok until you get the fursaver/prong) and a thick leather 6' line.
Your TD will recommend what is necessary and where to buy from, hopefully. When you begin tracking, you don't need that long trial size line yet....but I've used mine from day one, and it is an ASAT material which is good for wet conditions, so the $ invested was never wasted. ASAT Lead 33' L-Elite K-9 I use a fursaver from day one as well when tracking, and you can hook double lines if necessary onto a fursaver. Muck boots or waterproof boots for tracking is a good idea, so make sure what you wear is waterproof. I also use a vest, so have access to pockets to load my articles, bait, corner marker washers when laying the track. For a young dog learning a flag, bait is all you need.

For most of my equipment, I've ordered from elite or hallmark.
Fursavers are a given, as well as a prong, tab, obedience line~I have a 3/8" 4' that is nice for ob/hook it over my shoulder easily. I prefer a larger gauge fursaver as my male has a big head and neck. He wears a 27"!
Don't forget the reward toys, synthetic tug, ball on string and tracking bait(articles/flag/washers to mark turns~much later for these!) & the dumbbells.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-17-2012 at 10:42 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome