German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Back pedaling on things he knows!
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
ShenzisMom
Elite Member

Your mistake was playing his game. When he does not bring the ball to you, you should pick the ball, and any other toys up and put them in a bin for the day. You are not doing a forced retrieve? It is a game. You throw, he fetches and brings it back to be thrown once more. When you put the toys away when he is playing with you, you are making a consequence and also building frustration. After you have put the toys away, I would ignore him for 10 minutes and afterwards get the treat bag and clicker and get him to do other obedience exercises. Sitz, Platz, Fuss, etc. Teach him a new trick, like wave or spin (and spun which would be the other direction) maybe do some rear end awareness exercises too.

It is also an indication that he is tired or hurt I have found with my shepherd, if you have been playing for a bit. If this is the case, vary your play. Bring a flirt pole into the mix and other games that do not require him to run at full speed, just more agility.

Edit to add: If he is over the top with the ball, to the point he is not thinking anymore and is thinking BALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALLBALL like this, you might want to try working on distance with another object that he is not so crazy over. When he has that down pact with the lesser object, take the ball out once more.

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scruffy "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.-Thomas Campbell"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling

Last edited by ShenzisMom; 01-28-2012 at 07:29 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome