German Shepherds Forum banner

Questionable Play day with our new friend

818 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BTDaisy 
#1 ·
Last night, we went to play with our new friend. Daisy (my GSD) is right at 5 months- the puppy we played with is a little 11 week old pup (black lab). They seemed to play pretty well.... took turns chasing, then had barking competitions, and laser chasing.
Everything seemed fine, until the little guy slowed down and started to snuggle in with his owner. Daisy would kinda shove with her nose and mouth him around the back and neck. When that didnt work for her- she no longer mouthed, and started nipping!! (the pup yelped when she did this).
Do I need to be concerned?? Or is this playing? I'm worried we wont be invited back because she started getting so rough. :eek:

#2 ·
She needs someone her own size/age. That pup is a baby and she could accidentally hurt him. I would have more controlled visits maybe when he gets a little bigger and not let her get all ramped up around him.
It's the same when I let Lakota play with the kitten, I have to make sure things don't get too ruff.

#5 ·
First, I would HIGHLY HIGHLY discourage laser play. If you search this forum, you'll find out why. :(

Second, IMHO, the little guy ended the play, and then it's time for you to go. :) At that young age, 15-20 mins is often enough. It's better to have a shorter play date, than let them go until they get cranky. Your pup needs to learn to calm too, and when enough is enough. Things can turn when they're tired out, as you saw.

#6 ·
a 3 month old and a 5 month playing needs a lot
of supervision. when the 3 month old stopped playing
that was time to end the play date. when they're playing
together seperate them if becomes to much for either one of them.

#7 ·
oh my!!!.... I had never even considered the laser being a bad thing- THANK YOU ALL FOR TELLING ME!!!
Consider it over! Phew!! I'm glad I threw that part in there- so I could find out how bad lasers could be.
I'm a pretty big dork- and read up on everything I can- but I had never done research on playing with the lasers, because I hadnt realized there was reason for concern.
I love this site soooo much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.