German Shepherds Forum banner

Kaya 8 1/2 weeks old

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  NolaGSP 
#1 ·
At 8 1/2 weeks old, Kaya only weighed 7.1 lbs. Should I be concerned?
After reading many posts I saw nothing close to this.
Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
Klaus was under weight for some time. I'll post up his wieght by week this evening. Our vet said sometimes they will be in line with what they should weigh and sometimes they wont. As long as he was eating with a healthy appetite not to worry about it. Originally we were feeding him Solid Gold Wolf Pup and he never seemed that interested. We switched to Orijen 80/20 and he gobbles it down! Since the switch he has been stacking on ~3 lbs a week.

#3 ·
Kaya 8 1/2 weeks and 7.1lbs

Thanks for help. She started having diarrhea, but vet said probably from abrupt food change. She is gobbling it with lots of white rice though. We switched her due to inability to get original food near us. Breeder advised us this would be fine!

#5 ·
Thanks for help. She started having diarrhea, but vet said probably from abrupt food change. She is gobbling it with lots of white rice though. We switched her due to inability to get original food near us. Breeder advised us this would be fine!
Mix in some pumpkin. That helps with the mud butt. Dogs will get the runs when you switch their food. Should go away in about a week or so after switching.

#7 · (Edited)
That is quite small, even for a female - but with that said, not all GSD's are going to be big dogs. In fact, I like my female at 65 lbs, she is super easy to travel with, and if she gets injured out hiking/kayaking I can carry her out. At 8 1/2 weeks she was 15 lbs.

As long as your pup is healthy (no parasites, gaining weight steadily), is getting a high quality diet (don't forget the salmon oil!), and lots of exercise, she will reach HER maximum potential size wise.

Good luck with the pup....and I love seeing pictures!! LOL

Also, how is her weight now? Can you feel her ribs lightly under her skin? How about hips and backbone? Is there enough muscle?

You should be able to feel her ribs without depressing the skin too much, there should be muscle covering her shoulders and hind end, her midsection may look a little too skinny and bony, but do not put too much weight on her. She should be kept lean, to reduce the stress on her joints as she grows.

#10 ·
My Nola weighs 12.3 lbs at 11.5 weeks.. I worry she is under weight after reading all the post. She is on meds for diarrhea and the breeder had her on Purina puppy chow.. I saw you guys mentioned Natures Choice. Is it any good. I can get it for a great price on base. I really what to get her off the Purina.

#11 ·
Go to Mud Bay, Nola. They will help you with a good puppy food.
Avoid corn, wheat, soy, and by-products.
Also get the puppy checked and stools checked to rule out parasites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.