German Shepherds Forum banner

Six Month Old Male

9K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·

Waiting for my Long line show set to come in the mail until then the four foot shorty had to do lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice high wither, good lay back of shoulder, upper arm should be longer. Good proportions. A bit overdone in the rear (I'd like to see his foot on the ground, as opposed to the whole hock).

Strong topline leading into a short, very steep croup. Would like to see more bone and overall substance, and a more masculine head.

Excellent color, pasterns could be firmer, feet are ok, but a bit flat. Would like a tighter foot overall and more bone. Excellent underline.

What's his breeding?

#3 ·
Thank you for your detailed and honest reply. I am not sure why his feet look so flat they aren't, could something I am doing during the stack cause them to look this way? I can post some close up pictures if you would like later today so you could get a better look and advise me from there if you would like. I will make a mental note not to over stack in the rear. As far as overall substance it is a fight to get this dog to gain weight. I definitely agree he needs more to him lol maybe it's his age? Again thank you.
He is by Champion Kenlyn's Aries V Hicliff ROM and is out of Lindenhills Voodoo Charm.

#4 ·
As far as overall substance it is a fight to get this dog to gain weight.
It's partially age, but substance is more than just weight :) It's breadth of ribcage, amount of bone, amount of chest, etc etc. Bailey has decent substance, but Charm, IMO, I would like to see "more" of and right now your puppy looks to be taking after his dam side.

An example of a bitch with beautiful substance:

A dog with beautiful substance:
home

If you scroll down, you can see how evident it was even as a young age

#7 ·
I understand what you are saying I am not taking it hard but I am a facts and logic type of person, that is why I ask if he is a good investment not for sentiment reason. I do thank you for your honesty it is much appreciated especially from someone without attachment to the specific dog. Plus I am still learning the standard.

#10 ·
IMO, a good dog should be able to win in both rings. My personal feeling is he'll probably do better in an all breed ring, but I am only one person, so take my opinion, and those of others, use what you can, and disregard what you can't (only for the time being....some things can be useful later).

Can he finish? Too young to say, really. He's going to change a ton over the next 18 months....and then even more over the next 12.

If your mentor knows GSD judges, I'd have her help you look for judges that may like his style

#13 ·
I think he is a nice looking boy, with the potential to finish. Unfortunatly at this age, potential is still all you have. They go through so many growth spurts and changes, some you can ride out the uglies, some never do see the other side and some are lucky enough to barely hit them. I agree with Jackie's evaluation particularly head, she gave a great critique. For me I would like to see a better moving shot, in order to make a better eval. He has a good pedigree and I agree seems to be taking after the dams side. Right now I think he is worth waiting on, but your best bet if you are unsure is to take him out around more GSD people and get opinions from people who have seen the dog.

Your stack is partially what is throwing off his look. He is down on his hock, because you have it too far under his body. This in turn may change where his drawn back hind leg needs to be, but you have it very well lined up vertically for the hock. Look at the placement of the feet in his sire's photo...see how the under hind leg toes come in linement with the stifle/knee. I am not saying this will totally get his hock off the ground (he has a fair amount of rear), but it should help.

krisk

#20 ·
His pasterns and feet look much better here!! In fact, he has pretty doggone nice feet!

The carpeting allowed the dog to "sink" and thus, flat feet.

He looks the tiniest bit butt high.

Noodles, I would suggest bringing that inner foot back just a bit more, like this:

It will make him look much more balanced. You don't need to make him look extreme, as he's already got quite a bit of rear.

#21 ·
I have to ask what qualifies as butt high because when I look at him I see his hips are bellow his withers.... So perhaps I am old fashioned but he seems butt low to me. lol I am not being snippy I honestly am unsure what is butt high and extreme how one doesn't necessarily connect to the other. I have shown dogs for years but always square dogs so these terms are new to me. Please elaborate. Thanks.

#22 ·
When they're stacked up, they generall won't look butt high, but let him stand four square, and see what you see.

Extreme is partially a matter of opinion, and partially that of the standard. Dogs can be made to look extreme, others are built extreme.

AKC standard says the rear angles should be as close to a right angle as possible. My bitch pretty closely meets that criteria, but she's a bit overdone for my personal tastes.

I could PM you a couple of extreme dogs

#24 ·
Also, will his butt go back down? I am hoping that its a phase since it was lower when we brought him home. And I get to see his siblings often they all look stockier, shorter on leg and fuller of coat than him. What could cause this am I doing something wrong? His pigment, tight feet and erect ears are better than than thiers in turn what could cause this .
PHP:

#25 ·
Also, will his butt go back down?
They generally do. It's just a stage of growth. Different parts of the body grow at different rates.

What could cause this am I doing something wrong?
Genetics. Mom doesn't carry a lot of coat, and, as I mentioned earlier, your dog is following more to his dam side right now. It ain't nothin but genetics in play here.

Coat can also depend on where you live and where the other pups live.

Mirada's siblings have better coat than she does....they live in Wisconsin, we were living in Virginia (and how Pennsylvania).

#26 ·
Ya I just found it odd that he would be the one puppy to not share his brothers and sister characteristics... lame. The other puppies are kept outside and Rhett is inside so that might have some bearing on the ears pigment and such. At this age is it better to have a leggier gangly dog or a deep bodied dog on shorter leg. I hope his coat will come in... is there anything I can do to help out mother nature a little on that.. probably not but worth a shot!

#28 ·
It really depends on the kind of dog you've got. "Better" is a matter of preference in this case. I prefer a deeper bodied dog that's lower on leg (or at least appears that way), though I like to see leg on a deep bodied puppy because otherwise they look squatty and Corgiesque

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.