German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Our cadaver training at the FOREST in WCU
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
NancyJ
Zombie Queen Moderator

After doing this for a few years I am getting to the point of realizing I am not a newbie anymore but that there is sooooo much more to really learn.

I am actually going to be very careful in my logs and run the dog the one way [which is the way I would run him and was originally taught] then run the second way and see if I actually get anything that would have been missed and if I do, why.......we actually have been hitting on the first pass...and I am getting better at playing out the lead for him when he hits odor while I keep moving.....if it does make a difference I need to figure out why we were missing and fix it. If it does not, why do it?

I think I work a pretty steady pattern with wheel wells, door seams, rocker panel, door handles, gas cap, then the details on the front and rear - basicly high low all the way around. Ran one at training where he kept wanting to work the front of the vehicle but did not commit so when I hit the end of the lead slowly kept moving and he caught it on the trailer hitch of the connected trailer which is where it was.

Honestly he doesnt even need me anymore. You do it enough and he knows the routine..

You watch these course cases and you realize how much you want to do EVERYTHING right.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome