German Shepherds Forum banner

Books

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Catu 
#1 ·
I was at the bookstore yesterday just wasting time and of course ventured into the dog section. The training section SUCKS :( and I do most of my buying online. But it had me thinking....what are everyone's favorite books. I would like to expand on my library and catch peoples opinions here and there in threads but thought I would do a thread solely on this topic. Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

My favorite book right now isn't for training but is about a woman who does SAR. It's called Scent of the Missing..and although its not a GSD its a wonderful story :)

#6 ·
The above are great here are a couple of my favorites:
Welcome to Dogwise.com Purely Positive Training; Companion to Competition by Leslie McDevitt
Train your dog the positive way. Includes how to raise a puppy positively, how to build a strong relationship, manners training, teaching a really reliable recall, and how to train effectively without force. Special instructions in each section for companion dogs, competition obedience, agility and Schutzhund. Clearly explains both theory and technique, including The Golden Rule and The Ten Commandments of positive training. Easy-to-follow directions to teach sit, down, stand, heel, recall, finish, retrieving, jumping and send away. Special chapter on preparing for successful competition. Written with love of dogs and an understanding of training.
The Other End of the Leash -General Dog Training Books at Patricia McConnell
Ever wondered why your dog doesn't always do what you want? Sometimes the answer lies in the mirror! This nationally acclaimed book written by Patricia McConnell looks at humans as just another interesting species, muses about how dogs might interpret our behavior, and suggests how to interact with them in ways that bring out the best in our four-legged friends.

#8 ·
OP, I also read 'Scent of the Missing' a while back and loved it. Such a beautifully written story, but also fascinating from the standpoint that it also shares a lot of detail about the SAR experience. Granted, I did not know much about it before reading this, but now I'm even more impressed and grateful to everyone involved in SAR work.

On the fictional side of things, I also read "Stay," by Allie Larkin. That one's definitely a chick-lit type of read, centered around a woman with a GSD and of course some romantic entanglements. The way she acquired the dog might peeve some people, but I took it as a plot device and just enjoyed the way Larkin captured the goofiness of a young GSD.

#9 · (Edited)
For fiction
http://www.amazon.com/Story-Edgar-Sawtelle-Novel/dp/0061374229
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is really good too, it gives some insight into the bond we share, how dogs think, breeding and raising pups. You can read reviews on the link.
I need to read "Stay"!
I try to go to the local library instead of purchasing books, and my local branch networks with other libraries so can order most all books(fiction)

#10 ·
I am a huge Patricia McConnell fan. All of her books are very informative but interesting to read. I love how she incorporates her experiences and her dogs into the books, invites the reader into her home. Also awesome on facts and info for further reading on any given topic she discusses.

#11 ·
My favorite is "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommons. It is focused on training, but one thing I love about it is that it addresses human behavior in many ways. For example he writes about over-emotionality, which can stress the human, create tension, and hamper training. He also has a section on "doggie boot camp" which is like a NILIF type program to get a dog back into a subordinate position in the pack.

Amazon.com: Good Owners, Great Dogs (9780446675383): Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson: Books

#13 ·
I just loved "Bones Would Rain From the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier. Here's a link Welcome to Dogwise.com

It's just a fantastic book about strengthening the human dog relationship. She writes with such clarity and beauty. I had this recommended to me a long time ago and I just never got around to getting it. I sure wish I hadn't waited so long!

#18 ·
I just loved "Bones Would Rain From the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier. Here's a link Welcome to Dogwise.com

It's just a fantastic book about strengthening the human dog relationship. She writes with such clarity and beauty. I had this recommended to me a long time ago and I just never got around to getting it. I sure wish I hadn't waited so long!
My favorite too!

#14 ·
Great suggestions! I love fictional books as well. My mother is a 5th grade teacher and her class is reading Cracker I borrowed it from her. Its about a GSD that had to be rehomed and was taken to war. She was trained to find bombs, enemies of war etc. Good book..very easy read as its for children but I really enjoyed it!!!

#16 ·
I like The Other End of the Leash, and the Dog Trainer's Resource.

I also like anything by Nicole Wilde. She has a lot of good training books.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.