German Shepherds Forum banner

Training treats

15K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  gypsyrose 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a training treat that's not to expensive that won't give Shasta the runs when used in large large quantities. She seems to have a rather delicate tummy. I use her kibble at home, but if there are going to be any distractions, the kibble just isn't interesting enough. I've tried cheese, chicken jerky, some kind of dog biscuits and hot dogs. She loves then all but...the runs. :(

I'd prefer something that doesn't leave a greasy residue on my fingers.

#5 ·
I use cheese sticks and cubes of cooked chicken- that shouldn't bother her tummy too much. My beagle loved those little oyster crackers- cheap and easy to use. I've also used grapes and diced apples but that might not work for Shasta. I've seen trainers use BilJac, it's kind of like playdoh and has lots of salt but dogs seem to love it.

#7 ·
I use cheese sticks and cubes of cooked chicken- that shouldn't bother her tummy too much. My beagle loved those little oyster crackers- cheap and easy to use. I've also used grapes and diced apples but that might not work for Shasta. I've seen trainers use BilJac, it's kind of like playdoh and has lots of salt but dogs seem to love it.
Grapes are not good for dogs. Might want to do some reading or ask your vet before using those again.

#6 ·
My new favorite is Zukes. Their Mini Naturals are great for training, they are really small chewy pieces. The Mini Bakes are a small crunchy treat that can be broken in half. They also make training squares, I forget what they are called. I like to use them for agility when he is doing quick grabs because they are a little bit bigger and save the fingers a little.

#8 ·
i use these liver treat sold at pets mart in a red purple bag, sorry i forgot the name...but they work great!!

#9 ·
Natural balance rolls cut in to tiny pieces, you can order a big chub on Amazon and cut into small chunks and freeze and then cut tiny pieces, I usually cut up enough for the week and store in big freezer bag in thr fridge...no greasy fingers, no runs....

#10 ·
I use natural balance rolls, string cheese, or block cheese cut small-pea size, mix them together in the baggie.
Keeps the interest and the dog isn't distracted by crunching or chewing some of the other treats I've tried.

#12 ·
I love, love, love Wellness Wellbites! They are amazing! My dog will do anything for them!

They come in different flavors like

Beef & Turkey Recipe

Chicken & Lamb Recipe

Chicken & Vension Recipe

Lamb & Salmon Recipe

Turkey & Duck Recipe

Yummmm they smell so good that I almost ate one! :wild:

Wholesome Grains, Fruits & Veggies you can see
Wheat Free
Contains No Corn, Soy, or Artificial Colors or Flavors
2 kinds of fresh meat in each flavor
Perfect for training, treating or just plain spoiling!

We know you want to show your dog extra love with a treat that is as healthy and wholesome as it is delicious.

Our special little WellBites combine a unique blend of healthy ingredients like lamb, salmon, sweet potatoes, apples, blueberries and flaxseed into a soft, tasty and nutritious treat.

#19 ·
I love, love, love Wellness Wellbites! They are amazing! My dog will do anything for them!

They come in different flavors like

Beef & Turkey Recipe

Chicken & Lamb Recipe

Chicken & Vension Recipe

Lamb & Salmon Recipe

Turkey & Duck Recipe

Yummmm they smell so good that I almost ate one! :wild:

Wholesome Grains, Fruits & Veggies you can see
Wheat Free
Contains No Corn, Soy, or Artificial Colors or Flavors
2 kinds of fresh meat in each flavor
Perfect for training, treating or just plain spoiling!

We know you want to show your dog extra love with a treat that is as healthy and wholesome as it is delicious.

Our special little WellBites combine a unique blend of healthy ingredients like lamb, salmon, sweet potatoes, apples, blueberries and flaxseed into a soft, tasty and nutritious treat.

Mona is a pretty picky eater, but I just picked up some of these Wellness Wellbites today and she goes absolutely bonkers over them. She's normally really focused, but I've never seen her act quite like this haha. Like Lauren says they will do anything for them!

#16 ·
If you want dog specific treats, Trader Joe's has Charlee Bears (liver-flavored treats) that are 3 calories a piece.

My dog also loves goldfish and cereal, we use those for training/practicing things she already knows. For new behaviors, it's cubed cooked chicken, string cheese, hot dogs, and freeze-dried liver. We have to be careful with her, too...too much of the "good" stuff and she gets the runs.

#20 ·
I'm looking for a training treat that's not to expensive that won't give Shasta the runs when used in large large quantities. She seems to have a rather delicate tummy.
It could be the AMOUNT you are giving and not the actual type of treats.

If you are using ALOT of treats when training you want to cut back her regular food a bit.

Overfeeding can cause loose stools.

If I plan to do some serious training sessions and I'm going to be using more than 1 stick of string chese - I cut back the dog's next meal to about half the normal amount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.