German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Human Remains Detection
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 PM
NancyJ
Zombie Queen Moderator

You know - I have not had a threshold issue with drownings and Grim has two legitimate water finds under his belt - with good location - one in a slow moving river and one in a lake - and that was his first season operational on the boat. Not sure what the summer will bring. We have only trained with a pump though and early divers. I am not convinced there is a lot of decomp odor out there 3 hours after someone is in the water........

Most of what we search for on land is old crime scene stuff though. That, I am finding, is a whole discipline in itself [pinpointing] since the strongest scent may not be where the body is........really getting into learning those techniques, old graves, etc. Learning how to help him work it out when he gets hung up in a tough low scent area by moving him out of /back in etc. He usually runs straight to the big sources but, unforntately has only worked one full body and one fresh decomp scene after body removed. Defintely a lot of scent. Small bone is defintely tougher for us.

Negative search areas - large ones - very important part of training I think.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome