German Shepherds Forum banner

Pseudoscents?

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ladylaw203 
#1 ·
Has anyone used them? I don't want to get into a debate about to use them or not.
My question is how long do they last? If you apply the scent on an item can you use it for more than one training session if kept correctly? Or are they one and done?

See less See more
#2 ·
In the tone of your question -

They do last for months if put in a small container and sealed after each use and the use is that they are out only for a short time [not hours]

My concern - since it is an artificial collection of scent - even if it is "on target" at the beginning, the composition will change significantly as the light volatiles blow off more quickly than the semivolatiles.....so is the odor on day 1 the same as the odor on day 30? Couldnt be. Is that significant? IDK.

Human remains will have a constantly changing pattern but there is source material to generate new odor for a loooooong time.

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply.
Here's my situation: I'm not involved with a team right now. I'm looking to join one before summer. Got married, got a house and now things are settling down to the point that I have the time. My dog is too old to train with a team. She's 7.5. I wanted to train my dog just for "fun" if you will but getting the experience of training a HRD. So I won't have the access to real materials and wouldn't want to deal with handling them right now. So it would just be for the training experience. I won't be taking the stand with my dog.
After being with a team a year or so I'll look for a young rescue to train on the real stuff.
Thanks again

#5 ·
If you are only interested in the experience of training the dog to find scent, just train the dog to locate and come to final response on his ball. Psuedo is very expensive and is worthless after 30minutes. It is cadaverine and putrecine in an alcohol carrier which is why is pretty worthless.These are produced by an animal decomposing as well. The thing is, if you just want to train for fun,use animal remains or something. Why spend all that money? Just a thought

#6 ·
Originally Posted By: ladylaw203 Psuedo is very expensive and is worthless after 30minutes. The thing is, if you just want to train for fun,use animal remains or something. Why spend all that money? Just a thought
Good point and this is why I was wondering how long they lasted. If I was going to have to spend $100 a month I would just train her to find something else like diamonds, gold or hundred dollar bills.

But if it lasted awhile I just wanted as realistic a HRD training experience as I could get.

#9 ·
Skulls Unlimited is FedEx-ing me a clavicle. I thought it woudl be a handy size to put in a scent tube. I'm currently reading the Cadaver Dog Handbook. I'm excited!
It's going to feel creepy having a human bone... outsiede of my skin anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.