German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Doing schH with a DDR dog?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
krylos

Re: Doing schH with a DDR dog?

Well, I can't speak for someone who has been working boxers and rotts, but I would let them evaluate your pup and train them the way they know how. If this is a club you plan to train with long term, these are the people that are going to be helping you long term. If you aren't comfortable with them working your dog, then you should probably start looking around for other clubs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that making such a broad generalization that DDR lines are sooooo much different than any other GSD is setting yourself up for failure. Granted, there are going to be some general similarities with other DDR dogs, but give your pup the credit it deserves. Don't just throw a label in him. Every dog has it's own personality and that will be influenced by you, your other dogs, your TD and helpers, and the training that you do with your pup. Besides, your pup is what now, 5 months old? Just have fun with him and work on your foundation training. Obviously you trust your club members or you wouldn't be training your other dogs with them. See what they say after an evaluation and if it seems totally out in left field then I would worry. My guess is that after an evaluation and a few training session that you will settle in and feel more comfortable.

I hope this comes across as constructive and not like I'm attacking... here's my smiley I really hope the best for you and your pup.

Krylos
SG Echo vom Wildhaus - SchH3/IPO3 (14x), USCA GSD Nats (2x), USCA WDC (2x)
Alpha vom Haus Herru
VP Ansgar vom Haus Herru

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome