German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Raising the Working puppy
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
onyx'girl
Crowned Member

Re: Raising the Working puppy

I did( am doing) the same as Krylos, but never used a collar or leash on my boy when he was very young, unless we were off the property. He had no problem getting use to one, I did use a harness instead of a flat collar though.
He does obedience off leash as well as on leash.
We are now using a fursaver, and he has been introduced to a prong within the last month. He is a big boy at 80#/9 mos but doesn't pull me around when not on the prong.
We are using it to keep him from jumping for the tug while doing obedience. His recall has been outstanding, even with 2 other dogs in his realm.
One thing the Training Director at the club I was going to had us do with small pups was not make them "out" the toy, let them keep it til they give it up. And if a pup has something innappropriate in their mouth, do not make them give it up, but trade. One person had a problem, everytime she approached her pup after the ragwork play, her pup spit it out, as she was afraid of getting a correction. My pup does know how to out to get the game going again, so it worked for us.
I was very lucky as my pup is almost perfect, so I really haven't had to use many corrections or time outs.
Krylos last sentence is most important, the bond that you share will be forever!
Have fun with your pup.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome