German Shepherds Forum banner

Grooming 4 month old?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  elisabeth_00117 
#1 ·
Recon loves to get muddy and swim in the creek ... we try to make it a point to give him a bath especially after he's doing his outdoor swimming adventures. What is a good shampoo? Also, how do you brush your dogs hair?

#2 ·
Morgan is a mud machine. I do my best to get it off her with rags if she's wet or brush it off with the thing below if she's dry. After that I take a warm rag with Johnson's baby shampoo and rub it all over her. Then I dry her off again. Sounds like a big production but it take only a few minutes.

The oval shaped rubber brush it what I usually use - it didn't work as well on Otto when he still had puppy fuzz but I haven't had an adult yet it didn't work well on. Except for spring shedding of the undercoat - that's what the rake thing with the teeth is for.

#3 ·
You don't want to be washing your Shepherd much - it will remove the natural oils in their skin and coat.

Just rinsing them off with plain water should do the trick for most of the dirt.

I save actual washing for the REALLY dirty, I-rolled-in-something-DEAD type of days.

#4 ·
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangI save actual washing for the REALLY dirty, I-rolled-in-something-DEAD type of days.
Yeah I neglected to mention when Morgan swims, it's in upper Narraganset bay and she likes to roll in that rotten green stuff the tide brings in. Or slugs in the yard - but she has to paw at them to make sure they're good and gushy first.

#5 ·
I use all natural, non-scented baby wipes for Stark.

We have a nightly doggy-playdate at the park with a few other dogs and he will come home with dries slobber on his coat. A few wipes with the cloth and he is as good as new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.